Military Community Thread

Welcome! I became an Army Wife in 06.

We just received orders for Schweinfurt, germany and are PCS'ing in March.

Feel free to ask any questions. I felt so lost at first!

Hello,

I am an Air Force wife of all of 5 months!! We are stationed in Little Rock, Arkansas and I have been having MAJOR adjustment issues!! I don't know anyone around here and I'm trying to start school again but we are moving in May! Anyone with tips or advice is welcome!!

DH deployed. :( Yesterday was a hard day...no one told me it gets harder the older your kids get!!

This is our 5th deployment, and our 3rd since we've had kids.

Hopefully this is his last or second to last before retirement.

Hi all! It's been a good while since I've posted on the DIS, just not enough time at home and they blocked it at work. A lot has happened in our lives over the last year with the biggest being my DH joining the National Guard. He just got finished with BCT at Fort Knox Kentucky and is now in AIT at Fort Gordon GA. It is only about 4 hours from where we live so the kids and I plan to drive down for Thanksgiving. He will be at Fort Gordon for 19 weeks. If you all have any advice for a new military wife please let me know. I don't have any idea about anything. It's kind of funny now but when we went to Fort Knox for graduation I really expected them to make us get out of the car and search us and the vehicle and everything so I left WWAAAAYYY early and all they did was look at my military ID and asked me if I knew where I was going. :confused3

Cristy
Welcome to the military life! I always worry I will be one of those selected to be searched, yes they do it randomly, at least at where we are stationed now. One evening we drive up to the gate, and one of the guards walks in front of me and stands to the side of my truck. He pulled the guy behind me to search his car. I was so glad it wasn't me. Glad your DH isn't too far away.

Hello,

I am an Air Force wife of all of 5 months!! We are stationed in Little Rock, Arkansas and I have been having MAJOR adjustment issues!! I don't know anyone around here and I'm trying to start school again but we are moving in May! Anyone with tips or advice is welcome!!

Welcome new AF wife! We are AF also. Been married for 12 years now. Been through 3 moves (not alot compared to others) and two deployments. You can PM me with any questions. If I don't know I can probably find out.

DH deployed. :( Yesterday was a hard day...no one told me it gets harder the older your kids get!!

This is our 5th deployment, and our 3rd since we've had kids.

Hopefully this is his last or second to last before retirement.

I'm sorry to hear DH deployed. How long is his deployment? I found it much easier when DH deployed when our DS was 6 months old, then this last one when he was 8.

I haven't been on the boards that much anymore. DH is home now and with his new position we have been extremely busy. Too many social functions. But I am glad he is home.

I hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving and that you get to hear from your loved ones.

Hi All! I have enjoyed reading this thread. I am an AF wife with the most wonderful husband in the world. We went to Disney world with our teenage daughters when he got back from the Middle East where he was for a year. Pulled the girls out of school even. Hubby and I are leaving in 6 days for Disney World by ourselves this time. We can't wait. He just got orders to leave the Pentagon, so we decided to treat ourselves to a week of "Happy."
God bless all of you.

Have fun at Disney, Beth! (I assume your name is Beth lol!)

Someone asked how long DH is gone, well, he's Navy so those ships only go out 6-7 months but we've already done 200 days gone this year so by the time he gets home, that ends up being about 380 days gone in 16 months. I know some people (not here) think that Navy gets the easy end of the stick (and I think most do, compared to being boots on the ground) but we also are enduring a lot of separation too, KWIM?

Do you guys get to talk or "see" your SO's often? My neighbor told me yesterday that when her DH went to Iraq they talked via webcam nearly everyday (he was w/the marines so I think he was gone 4-6 mo?)

How was everyone's Turkeyday? I meet up w/some other wives who have DH's deployed (1 Army family, 1 Marine and 2 Navy) and we ate at the nice resturant on base. We had a great time!! It's just too far for most of us to go home for the holidays. One bad thing about Hawaii, LOL! No roadtrips!!

We spent Thanksgiving Day in Fort Gordon with DH who just transferred there from Fort Knox Kentucky after finishing his BCT. He is just a Phase IV so he couldn't leave the base. We had Thanksgiving dinner in the mess hall with all the other soldiers who couldn't leave. It was interesting to say the least. I was impressed by the selection of food though, DH said it was that way everyday so at least I know he gets to eat good (when they make it to meals that is). We stayed through late Saturday evening before driving back home, it's about 4 hour trip. Not much to do on base, we did some Christmas shopping at the PX. We had a good time, the drive home was hard though.:sad1:

Got this FYI in an email and thought I would share it with you all.

When you are making out your Christmas card list this year, Please include the following:
A Recovering American soldier
c/o
WalterReedArmyMedicalCenter6900 Georgia Avenue, NWWashington,D.C.20307-5001

great idea for churches and as classroom projects

http://christmas.momsbreak.com/Chris...ing-Cards.html
http://www.dltk-holidays.com/xmas/cards/index.htm

Sorry to say... I was so looking to sending a few extra Christmas cards, got the address written down and told my hubby about it, he was like cool!

Then a couple of nights later......... :sad1: :sad2: they did a story on the news that it's all in good thought, but all thoese cards just sit there because they can NOT be delivered w/out a name on them. :sad2: They showed boxes and boxes of cards not getting to where they need to be because of secirty reasons.

Hate to be the barrer of bad news, but I thought I would share what I had heard.

:wave: Hello ladies. I forgot all about this thread after DH came home in Sept. Things have finally gotten back to normal ( as normal as normal can be with the military ;) ) and now it's gonna go crazy again :rolleyes: Right before DH returned from Iraq he put in his request to lat move into Crash Fire Rescue. His MOS is getting smaller and with their SNCOs at over 125% they were letting the SNCOs go until they got down to 100% (really bad when they only promoted 1 SSGT to Gunny last year). So he ends up getting a call, while we were on vacation in WDW, saying his lat move was approved :woohoo: So after we got back he was just sitting around waiting for his orders to come in ( you know how the military is :rolleyes: ) Finally he got his orders in the begining of Nov. and he reported to his new unit with orders to report to school, in TX for 4 months, in the begining of Jan. So now he is with the Crash Fire Rescue and starting next week he will be on an actual shift (48 hrs. on/48 hrs off) till he leaves for school. Figures just as soon as we get back into our old routine it's back to just me and the kids again :rolleyes: Ahhhh the life of a military family :laughing:
We just heard last month that his old unit is headed back to Iraq early next year & they just got back in Sept. :sad2:

Hey everyone! The time has almost flown by ;) It's almost been 3 months down, 9 months to go. One thing I've decided to do while dh is gone is REDECORATE!!! I can do it all and not have dh tell me no then tell me how it looks great after I do it. I'm going to hire someone to do some molding and painting around the house, I can't wait!.

Happy dance here!!! I got selected to be able to do the video conferencing thingy with DH!! WHOO HOOO!! I've never done it before but I'm so excited to "see" him though!! I'm surprising the kids, they have no clue...

(we can't use webcams, IM's,etc when he's deployed so I haven't seen him since he left)

Hey all! Haven't posted on here in a long time...how's every one doing??

My neighbor told me yesterday that when her DH went to Iraq they talked via webcam nearly everyday (he was w/the marines so I think he was gone 4-6 mo?)

Marines usually deploy for 7 months, just wanted to let you know! Unfortunately, we got screwed with a 12 month deployment....but oh well. We're doing pretty well, just wanted to get this thread going again too! We're getting married in less than a month, and have an engagement party at home in CT on the 23rd :goodvibes So excited to see everyone and go home - I haven't been back since August, so it's been a while!

yeah I know the Marines do 7 months usually, I'm not sure why his was less, he's Navy w/Marines but I'm not sure LOL!!

Hi All!

I am pretty new to the board and "found" you guys.

I am a military wife of 13 yrs (DH has been in for 16 yrs). He was prior U.S.M.C for 12 yrs and was accepted to flight school in the Army - so we have been army for about 3 1/2 yrs now. He has done many deployments with the marines and about to leave on his second deployment with the army (leaves in about a week for about 18 months) to Afghanistan. He flies medevac in the 101st.
Anyway, we have 3 children, Parker -8 (we adopted him from the Ukraine 5 yrs ago) Ethan is almost 5, and Sarabeth is 2 1/2. Deployments, I am used to, but my 2 little ones are having a very hard time understanding. So, if you all could just think about them in the next week. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and I hope to find great friends here!

Jennifer

Hi All!

I am pretty new to the board and "found" you guys.

I am a military wife of 13 yrs (DH has been in for 16 yrs). He was prior U.S.M.C for 12 yrs and was accepted to flight school in the Army - so we have been army for about 3 1/2 yrs now. He has done many deployments with the marines and about to leave on his second deployment with the army (leaves in about a week for about 18 months) to Afghanistan. He flies medevac in the 101st.
Anyway, we have 3 children, Parker -8 (we adopted him from the Ukraine 5 yrs ago) Ethan is almost 5, and Sarabeth is 2 1/2. Deployments, I am used to, but my 2 little ones are having a very hard time understanding. So, if you all could just think about them in the next week. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and I hope to find great friends here!

Jennifer

Welcome to the fold Jennifer! I'm sorry to hear about the deployment, enjoy your upcoming week with your hubby. I hope your 18 months fly by!
Peggy

Hey all! I've not posted on this thread before, but I am an AirForce wife.

I just wanted to go somewhere and vent about how much I HATE AFN television!:rotfl: I know, I know there is so much more to vent about, but I miss having REAL tv. I don't need to see the same episode of 20/20 six times on Sunday! And I miss commercials! I want some annoying person to try to sell me pizza/diet aids/toilet paper/cars!!!

OK, had to get that off my chest.:happytv:

Hey all! I've not posted on this thread before, but I am an AirForce wife.

I just wanted to go somewhere and vent about how much I HATE AFN television!:rotfl: I know, I know there is so much more to vent about, but I miss having REAL tv. I don't need to see the same episode of 20/20 six times on Sunday! And I miss commercials! I want some annoying person to try to sell me pizza/diet aids/toilet paper/cars!!!

OK, had to get that off my chest.:happytv:

I remember when I was stationed in Okinawa. We called FEN( Far East Network) the "Forced Entertainment Network"! It was awful. I can totally sympathize.

Does anyone find it really hard to plan vacations? Dh always ends up in places that are short staffed and it is hard to take leave when the kids are out of school. It drives me nuts. We are supposed to go this Dec., but DH is telling me not to count on it as where he works is losing people right and left.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter