• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Military discounts

nanalgw

Earning My Ears
Social Media posted Military discounts extended! Great- oh no wait a minute- no rooms available even with existing discounts. Disney certainly botched this up.

I've heard both POR and AKL have had availability for a lot of people.
I think we all just need to be thankful they still offer the discounts! They really help. PLUS, 12 tickets instead of 6!

My travel agent tried the day this went out and could not even get the discount on the rooms we have in place! Could only get a Cars suite or Yacht Club! Trying to figure out what the hell to do!

It is only until the end of this year so far. According to Steve'Military tips . But at least it helps with those wanting to go after Oct 2nd. Good luck to all. Just waiting for the 2016 rates for the military discounts.

Funny I had to change something's on my Sept trip and no wait on phone.

I got a discount for November at AKL. My only options were AKL Savannah Bunk beds, Kidani standard view studio, POR Garden, POR Royal Room, or All Star Movies. I was hoping for 30% off a AoA suite, but no dice. Oh well, I'm pretty happy with my AKL deal.

I called around noon today and couldn't get in at any MK resort but got, "the last room available with a military discount left at the Beach Club". There was also a standard view at the Boardwalk, but that didn't sound appealing.

I tried to get a room for when I am down there for the wine and dine half marathon, hoping for Contemporary or GF. My only options were a club level room at Boardwalk or rooms at AKL (pool view or savanna view available--both with bunk beds.) Boardwalk would be a great location, but just too expensive for me right now. AKL is just too far out of the way for my plans for this trip (mainly centering around the race--and AKL will not have race transportation.) I'm just keeping my reservation at Shades of Green.

We are able to get the room we have under the new rate at BC but it is only $70 difference and to me we are all booked as a package if I start changing it all and doing different tickets, and different dining it just is not worth the $70 I would save. But good luck to all you others who are looking. Sometimes the first day is hard, just like when free dining came out, but give it a few days and more and more open up. We have booked, and changed and changed and changed several times over the past two months as things open up. At first I could not get anything, then I was able to get POR, then BC standard, then BC garden view, then BC club level standard then BC club level deluxe, now we have what we want and now it is open for military also, so things do open up.

We originally booked CBR at the end of October with the free dining, hoping the new military discounts would come out in time. Called today and only moderate available for our dates was POR royal water view. Even with the military salute tickets, it works out to a minimal difference. AKL savannah view was available, but not sure it's worth the extra $500. Maybe availability will open up down the road.

Social Media posted Military discounts extended! Great- oh no wait a minute- no rooms available even with existing discounts. Disney certainly botched this up.

I talked to a CM yesterday who explained that if you think of the spots available think of a pie. So only so much goes to general, AP, Florida......I thought I was lucky to see so much open but I will say I was hoping to get into one resort but I couldn't. It was open but for what I needed and what was available it wasn't worth the money to me. So I just stayed in the resort I already had a reservation in and just changed a little.

Does this mean the Military Salute tickets are extended? My parents are going mid October for Food and Wine and were waiting for the tickets to be extended since they currently go through the beginning of October I believe.

Does this mean the Military Salute tickets are extended? My parents are going mid October for Food and Wine and were waiting for the tickets to be extended since they currently go through the beginning of October I believe.

Yes, the offer has been extended until right before Christmas, and the ticket limit has been raised to 12.

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but also not sure if it warrants a new thread? But with the new online check in system-does anyone else think there is a potential for abuse of the military discount? My Dh is retired military so we are eligible for military discounts, and booked a military discount room for last week. In prior stays with the military discount, they have asked to see my military ID at check in--but now that they text/email your room number, and you never even have to interact with a cast member to check in, there is no one to show ID to. So no one checked our ID this time to ensure we were eligible.

Couldn't just anyone--not eligible for the discount--go ahead and book the military discount rate? And since it seems there is a such a limited amount of military discount rooms to begin with, that makes even fewer available for people who actually qualify?

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but also not sure if it warrants a new thread? But with the new online check in system-does anyone else think there is a potential for abuse of the military discount? My Dh is retired military so we are eligible for military discounts, and booked a military discount room for last week. In prior stays with the military discount, they have asked to see my military ID at check in--but now that they text/email your room number, and you never even have to interact with a cast member to check in, there is no one to show ID to. So no one checked our ID this time to ensure we were eligible.

Couldn't just anyone--not eligible for the discount--go ahead and book the military discount rate? And since it seems there is a such a limited amount of military discount rooms to begin with, that makes even fewer available for people who actually qualify?

Good question. When I made my reservation, the CM said a military ID would be required at check in. My guess is Disney will not allow military reservations to by pass the front desk. They still might allow "online check in" but won't sent a text with room assignment; therefore making a front desk trip a necessity.

Even with online check in, we've still had to stop at the desk to show ID, get a parking pass, etc and we have the retired military discount, also. Maybe going forward they can flag those whose IDs have been confirmed, and people will only have to stop by one time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter