Military Retiree Discount (Active and Reserve/NG)

BrokeMack

DIS Veteran
I didn't see an answer when I searched, so I asked DCL. Sharing for the next person who needs it. Tl; dr, there are two categories for retired military reservists: retired reserve, and retired. The ID cards look different depending on which category you fall in (Blue vs Red). DCL accepts either for military rates.

Also, because it gets asked occasionally, SelRes members (that's traditional reservists, IMAs, and drill service guardsmen) are considered active military, so we still get the discount too. Basically if you have a regular CAC card, you're good to go. If you have the green one, you're not.

I didn't see an answer when I searched, so I asked DCL. Sharing for the next person who needs it. Tl; dr, there are two categories for retired military reservists: retired reserve, and retired. The ID cards look different depending on which category you fall in (Blue vs Red). DCL accepts either for military rates.

Also, because it gets asked occasionally, SelRes members (that's traditional reservists, IMAs, and drill service guardsmen) are considered active military, so we still get the discount too. Basically if you have a regular CAC card, you're good to go. If you have the green one, you're not.
What about spouses traveling without the service member? My husband doesn't cruise. He'll be retiring next year.

Current military ID (AD, Retired, Reserve, Reserve Retired) for either member or spouse. Your military ID is checked when you have your passport checked. I was once sent to the customer service window for the ID check.

When we cruise with our entire family, we will reserve two rooms with me in one room and my spouse in the other, which allows us to get the military discount on two rooms.

FWIW: the availability of the military discounted rooms has decreased dramatically over the past few months, as well as the room category. In 2021/early 2022, we were able to book category 05A. Lately the number of rooms has been scarce and limited to category 05C or 07A - which I assume is due to the increase in overall demand.

Last edited:

I feel like I’ve seen a lot of availability with the military rate, but maybe it’s less than in the past? I haven’t been tracking long. But I’m stalking the rates for when they release them for the Alaska sailing my family is targeting, and I’ll scroll through what else is available when I see that our sailing still isn’t up.

They also accept a dd-214 for those honorably discharged.
Not sure that this is correct for DCL - https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...ounts-disney-cruises-says-active-duty-496587/

From this post, it appears that only those with a current physical military ID can take advantage of DCL military discounts.

When you apply the DCL military discount to a reservation, the confirmation page states "Special Military rates are available to all retired and active US Military personnel (or spouse)" - there is no mention for honorably discharged veterans.

That being said, if someone tries to use their DD-214, since the military verification occurs on the day of departure at check-in, they should be prepared for the potential consequences if that form of ID is declined.

From my 10+ DCL cruises, my Military ID was checked 100% of the time.

Not sure that this is correct for DCL - https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...ounts-disney-cruises-says-active-duty-496587/

From this post, it appears that only those with a current physical military ID can take advantage of DCL military discounts.

When you apply the DCL military discount to a reservation, the confirmation page states "Special Military rates are available to all retired and active US Military personnel (or spouse)" - there is no mention for honorably discharged veterans.

That being said, if someone tries to use their DD-214, since the military verification occurs on the day of departure at check-in, they should be prepared for the potential consequences if that form of ID is declined.

From my 10+ DCL cruises, my Military ID was checked 100% of the time.
I used my dd-214 in october since I have no military ID and they accepted it at port with no problems.

The DCL website says:
Special Military rates are available to all retired and active US Military personnel (or spouse), including US Air Force, US Army, US Marines, US Navy, US Coast Guard, US National Guard, US Army Reserve and US Department of Defense personnel. Activated members (or spouse) of the US National Guard or the US Army Reserve must also show active-duty orders (active-duty papers must be dated as of January 1st of the previous year to qualify).

• Active and retired members (or spouse) of the US military must provide valid identification at time of check-in.

It's always been only active and retired military (at lease since 2008 when I started cruising on DCL), not someone who just did a few years military service and got honorably discharged.

As a Platinum DCL cruiser, I have always been asked to show my ID card when using the military rate (which we have used for every one of our cruises!). The military rate is only for active and retired (this includes Reserves) and their spouses.

I’m guessing questions about specific cases and whether they apply or not would be best directed to DCL customer service - if in doubt, verify from the primary source.

So I am asking for a friend and am not military so have no idea....my friend's dad is a vet, but she doesn't think that qualifies as "retired military". Is that true? not sure if they can get the military rate.

So I am asking for a friend and am not military so have no idea....my friend's dad is a vet, but she doesn't think that qualifies as "retired military". Is that true? not sure if they can get the military rate.
Generally, yes, a "vet" is not "retired".

As a Platinum DCL cruiser, I have always been asked to show my ID card when using the military rate (which we have used for every one of our cruises!). The military rate is only for active and retired (this includes Reserves) and their spouses.
1/2 correct. I don't think that a straight up Veteran who did their honorable tour gets the discount. If some have, good on you, but that's not how I've read the regs. Saying that, I've used my active duty CAC and later, my civil servant CAC (too old to wear the uniform any longer) when cruising via MTO. Civil Service (regardless of Agency/Department) also get the discount. We did a few cruises before retirement and more afterwards. The big shortage seems to be the Wish doing the 3s and 4s instead of the Dream.

1/2 correct. I don't think that a straight up Veteran who did their honorable tour gets the discount. If some have, good on you, but that's not how I've read the regs. Saying that, I've used my active duty CAC and later, my civil servant CAC (too old to wear the uniform any longer) when cruising via MTO. Civil Service (regardless of Agency/Department) also get the discount. We did a few cruises before retirement and more afterwards. The big shortage seems to be the Wish doing the 3s and 4s instead of the Dream.
Just as a note, there is one single 3-night on the Wish currently on offer for the military rate - maybe someone can correct me, but I think this is the first time the Wish had been made available for the discount (at least the first I’ve seen).

Just as a note, there is one single 3-night on the Wish currently on offer for the military rate - maybe someone can correct me, but I think this is the first time the Wish had been made available for the discount (at least the first I’ve seen).
It's the first Wish military rate I've seen and I check pretty regularly. I don't think that particular sailing will work for my family, but it's exciting to think there may be more in the coming year. It was $1,600 off the veranda stateroom for our family of three!

It's the first Wish military rate I've seen and I check pretty regularly. I don't think that particular sailing will work for my family, but it's exciting to think there may be more in the coming year. It was $1,600 off the veranda stateroom for our family of three!
For sure! I would love to sail on the Wish, but cannot justify the full price for such a short sailing. Looking forward to having more hopefully offered in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter