Military Salute Tickets Purchased at SoG versus MWR Sites

Christine

DIS Veteran
Trying to determine if I should order my 16 park tickets from SoG Advanced Orders or just go to one of the many MWR sites near me. Usually I buy at MWR site then when we get to the park, we have to go to Will Call and activate them.

I'm reading/hearing that if you purchase (even via mail order) from SoG, that they are activated. Can anyone confirm this?

There is a Military Disney Website that goes into this in detail. The BIG difference is this:

When you order via Shades of Green, the tickets will be activated already. Which means you can go straight into the parks. They will require lots of personal information via email (SSN / Retirement Date/Etc). They will then call you to get your full credit card number. Then, the tickets will be sent via Fed Ex and this must be signed for in person. (You can have it routed to a pick up location, but the name on the reservation must match your ID)

Despite this hassle, we order ours via Shades of Green.

When you use the MWR sites, the tickets are not activated and you will need to visit guest services on your first park day. Also, if you are traveling with a family members that are not military or retired military, you must be present to activate ALL the passes. This can slow you down in the mornings AND if you have folks that are wanting to go to the parks later or at different times, the active military member/retired member must be with that person to activate the pass.

We just ordered tickets from SOG last month, and they emailed us the ticket numbers and we will pick up the actual cards when we check in. That way they could be added to MDX for fastpass and everything. We actually don't even have to get the cards from the desk, since the numbers are registered in MDX and we plan on purchasing Magic Bands before we go.

We just ordered tickets from SOG last month, and they emailed us the ticket numbers and we will pick up the actual cards when we check in. That way they could be added to MDX for fastpass and everything. We actually don't even have to get the cards from the desk, since the numbers are registered in MDX and we plan on purchasing Magic Bands before we go.

Did they give you this option? The order forms don't seem to show this as an option. Honestly though, I don't want to deal with going over to SoG on my check in day but you think that's not required? Sorry to pepper you with these questions. My fastpass day is September 3rd, so if I'm going to order, I need to start now.

There is a Military Disney Website that goes into this in detail. The BIG difference is this:

When you order via Shades of Green, the tickets will be activated already. Which means you can go straight into the parks. They will require lots of personal information via email (SSN / Retirement Date/Etc). They will then call you to get your full credit card number. Then, the tickets will be sent via Fed Ex and this must be signed for in person. (You can have it routed to a pick up location, but the name on the reservation must match your ID)

Despite this hassle, we order ours via Shades of Green.

When you use the MWR sites, the tickets are not activated and you will need to visit guest services on your first park day. Also, if you are traveling with a family members that are not military or retired military, you must be present to activate ALL the passes. This can slow you down in the mornings AND if you have folks that are wanting to go to the parks later or at different times, the active military member/retired member must be with that person to activate the pass.

I think I just found the site you referenced. Seeing info on ticket sales, where to buy, etc., but not seeing anything on the activation aspect of it. But I'm just gonna trust you!! My internet here at work during my lunch hour is blocking a lot of pages for some reason.

Did they give you this option? The order forms don't seem to show this as an option. Honestly though, I don't want to deal with going over to SoG on my check in day but you think that's not required? Sorry to pepper you with these questions. My fastpass day is September 3rd, so if I'm going to order, I need to start now.
Are you staying at SoG? My understanding is that they will only hold tickets if you are. If you aren't staying, then they will mail them to you.

We stayed on site for spring break. SoG sent us an email with a photo copy of the back of the cards. I loaded the card numbers into MDE and used magicbands from a previous trip. We never actually needed our physical cards but I did pick them up. I had no issues booking fastpasses at 60 days or going in and out of the parks!

I think I just found the site you referenced. Seeing info on ticket sales, where to buy, etc., but not seeing anything on the activation aspect of it. But I'm just gonna trust you!! My internet here at work during my lunch hour is blocking a lot of pages for some reason.
There is no activation for tickets purchased thru SoG. We were issued real tickets, not vouchers.

Are you staying at SoG? My understanding is that they will only hold tickets if you are. If you aren't staying, then they will mail them to you.

We stayed on site for spring break. SoG sent us an email with a photo copy of the back of the cards. I loaded the card numbers into MDE and used magicbands from a previous trip. We never actually needed our physical cards but I did pick them up. I had no issues booking fastpasses at 60 days or going in and out of the parks!

No, I'm staying at the GF so I guess the email option is out! I just had the MVMCP tickets done through them. I won't lie, they were kind of tough to deal with. Took days to respond to the order form, days to call and verify. I didn't get any notifications of the Fedex shipment coming that they assured me would happen (though the other person in my party did get the notifications). I got everything fine, but I swear the ordering process was cumbersome.

No, I'm staying at the GF so I guess the email option is out! I just had the MVMCP tickets done through them. I won't lie, they were kind of tough to deal with. Took days to respond to the order form, days to call and verify. I didn't get any notifications of the Fedex shipment coming that they assured me would happen (though the other person in my party did get the notifications). I got everything fine, but I swear the ordering process was cumbersome.
If you have other options to buy tickets it's not worth the hassle, for us that don't live close to a base it's so easy. Specially since the tickets are activated.

Are you trying to buy Armed forces salute tickets? or regular stars and stripes tickets? You can only buy 6 AFS tickets.

I have 16 people in my party. Of those 16, we have:

• One retired military with a spouse who has an ID
  • One active duty military with a spouse who has an ID
  • One spouse of a deceased retired military

If you have other options to buy tickets it's not worth the hassle, for us that don't live close to a base it's so easy. Specially since the tickets are activated.

Yeah, I'm close to about 4 military installations I can purchase from. What I'm liking is the "activated" aspect of the SoG tickets. Last year, I thought the wait at the Will Call booth took a long time. The trip before that our first day was at a water park and that was faster.

I have 16 people in my party. Of those 16, we have:

• One retired military with a spouse who has an ID
  • One active duty military with a spouse who has an ID
  • One spouse of a deceased retired military

With 3 military folks, that allows you up to 18 tickets total. To order from Shades of Green, though, you WILL need to have each person send in a separate form. And the credit card must be in the name of either the military person or spouse.

As to timing, know that I sent in an order form on July 4th via email, I got a phone call on July 8th, and had my tickets on July 11th.

With 3 military folks, that allows you up to 18 tickets total. To order from Shades of Green, though, you WILL need to have each person send in a separate form. And the credit card must be in the name of either the military person or spouse.

As to timing, know that I sent in an order form on July 4th via email, I got a phone call on July 8th, and had my tickets on July 11th.

Thanks for the info! I didn't have such great luck with the Christmas party tix. I ordered on July 10th, didn't get my follow up call until July 17th, and the tickets came on July 22nd. No big deal really.

Glad to see you have the correct info on this thread!

I just want to add that even though we have a base with an ITT office within 20 minutes of our house, I have chosen to purchase our Disney tickets to be shipped to me from SoG the past three years. To me, the fact that they send activated tickets is a big advantage, especially for a large group. Avoiding the time it takes to activate in person is great.

I've also had good luck with the process each time. Send the email to request an order form, fill it out and send the order form back via email, get the call within 3-4 days, and have the tickets in hand about 4-5 days later.

I just want to add that even though we have a base with an ITT office within 20 minutes of our house, I have chosen to purchase our Disney tickets to be shipped to me from SoG the past three years. To me, the fact that they send activated tickets is a big advantage, especially for a large group. Avoiding the time it takes to activate in person is great.

I've also had good luck with the process each time. Send the email to request an order form, fill it out and send the order form back via email, get the call within 3-4 days, and have the tickets in hand about 4-5 days later.

I agree with you! DH works on base and is minutes away from the ticket office. However, sometimes they have to ORDER the tickets.

Getting them from Shades of Green while taking some effort, is paid back in spades when you are on property and can go right into the parks without having to have everyone together to activate them. Because it sure can feel like "herding cats" when you have a lot of folks if you ALL need to be a one spot early in the morning ;-)

Last edited:

If I already have a copy of the order form from my last order, do you think I need to request it again as part of the process or should I just submit a filled out form?

If I already have a copy of the order form from my last order, do you think I need to request it again as part of the process or should I just submit a filled out form?

As long as you have the correct form and prices from this year, you don't have to. If you want to PM me your email address, I can send you the forms/prices I got on July 3rd.

We usually buy from our local base. Then, we always plan a no-park day for our arrival day. We go to Disney Springs to activate tickets at guest services there and then have dinner. Its been no hassle in my experience. Last time (Dec. '17), all the folks in our group handed me their magic bands, and I was able to activate them while they were shopping. Since you'd have 3 different groups technically, you'd probably need those three people to be there to activate and the rest can shop or hang out while you take their bands to guest services.

And, we also purchase the military discounted memory maker while activating bands at DS.

We always order the tickets through SoG now. Our first trip we bought the vouchers and spent a ridiculously long time in line to exchange the vouchers when we got there. Also, the ticket office didn’t have tickets, you had to go in and order them, and then go back again to pick them up. The shades of green order process has always worked perfectly - and they also sell tickets to Universal and other area attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter