Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

After that...it's almost xmas. Again, I feel conflicted over the holidays and how to spend them. We are not allowed to have big family gatherings of course. But I am the only adult in my household and both my parents and I have been pretty diligent about distancing and only going out when necessary and mask wearing. They don't want to be alone for the holidays. So. I think our plan is for the kids and I to go to their place for xmas dinner, but we will eat at separate tables like we did for Thanksgiving, and basically keep our distance as much as possible. I think this is as safe as can be, and what we need to do for our sanity. I just hope that anyone who does choose to get together does it safely. I can't judge anyone for doing it anyway, as long as you are doing the best you can and not being stupid about it. So there.
You pretty much summed up exactly how we are feeling. Bill's sister lives on her own in Mississagua and I don't want her spending Christmas by herself. Jack comes home from university next Wednesday.....luckily he is at Trent where cases have been very low and he is extremely careful. Then Jamie's girlfriend lives in Newmarket and he hasn't seen her in two months. I work in the public school system so am exposed to god only knows what. So we are trying to figure out what to do. I want to have some semblance of Christmas but I don't want to put anyone at risk.

Good luck with getting C through quarantine!

It's like... "OhmyGod the days are craaaaaaawling by... and... Holy cow it's December already!!"

It's a really strange feeling isn't it!! I just hope that the time continues to move briskly...until we can all get vaccinated and living again!

Really? Is that above red? (That's where we are, and it sounds pretty much exactly like your restrictions.)

Confusing isn't it?? LOL. Yes, grey is above red, but it's a half assed grey lockdown lol. It's so funny because they do these ads on the radio where they say "Do your part. Stay home. Go out only for exercise, work, essential services, health care.....and on and on" to so many things that they want you to go out for. Oh and don't shop or eat out but shop local and support businesses, but don't go out. Ugh. And so far, it's done absolutely nothing for our covid numbers so I don't know what will happen next, other than just trying to survive until the general public is eligible for vaccines.

I presume he'll be returning to school 2 weeks early to quarantine there for 2 weeks? Or is it different over there?

Yeah, it's a weird system. But he will be home until Jan 24 which is a long time. I guess allowing for 2 weeks of quarantine at home before Christmas (where we're not really supposed to do anything anyway....) then we have xmas and New Years...and then another 3 weeks before he returns. When he went in September, they allowed for a week of quarantine and a staggered arrival for all students. But they tested everyone as they arrived and made sure they were negative before allowing anyone to go to class/sports etc, and of course for school itself it's all masking and social distancing and cohorts. I've been really impressed with the way his school has handled things, I think other schools could learn from this. But they are lucky that they had some kind of connection for getting access to so many rapid testing supplies etc that may not be feasible everywhere.

For his March break though that will be a different story. They only have a 2 week break, so if things are not radically different by then, it won't make any sense to have him come home and have to quarantine for his whole break. The school is looking at some options for kids for whom it isn't practical to go home and we'll see what they come up with. My mom who is 80 years old, is an extreme optimist who thinks that she may be vaccinated by then and might be able to travel to the US to spend the break with her grandson but....I'm not holding my breath on that one!

Hmmm... same app as everyone else is being asked to download or is it a different one? (If you know.)

No this is a different one. I think it's called ArriveCAN or CanArrive? It somehow checks in with you or you check in with them and they still call you to double check you are in quarantine but I don't think as often as if you don't use the app.

You pretty much summed up exactly how we are feeling. Bill's sister lives on her own in Mississagua and I don't want her spending Christmas by herself. Jack comes home from university next Wednesday.....luckily he is at Trent where cases have been very low and he is extremely careful. Then Jamie's girlfriend lives in Newmarket and he hasn't seen her in two months. I work in the public school system so am exposed to god only knows what. So we are trying to figure out what to do. I want to have some semblance of Christmas but I don't want to put anyone at risk.

Good luck with getting C through quarantine!

Yup, it's a tough call about the holidays. Everyone has their tolerances for risk and what is worth taking that risk on. I worry that my parents are getting old and while it is risky to see them for holidays, we also don't know how many christmases they will be with us and don't want to miss spending time with them. I think we'll be doing a "distanced" dinner with them and spend time with them, just maybe less than normal.

It's a really strange feeling isn't it!! I just hope that the time continues to move briskly...until we can all get vaccinated and living again!
I'd be perfectly fine to close my eyes tonight and wake up to someone shaking me and saying "Okay, you're immune now. Go have fun."
Yes, grey is above red, but it's a half assed grey lockdown lol.
:laughing:
It's so funny because they do these ads on the radio where they say "Do your part. Stay home. Go out only for exercise, work, essential services, health care.....and on and on" to so many things that they want you to go out for. Oh and don't shop or eat out but shop local and support businesses, but don't go out. Ugh. And so far, it's done absolutely nothing for our covid numbers so I don't know what will happen next, other than just trying to survive until the general public is eligible for vaccines.
Maybe the ads should just say "For the love of Pete... stay home!"
Yeah, it's a weird system. But he will be home until Jan 24 which is a long time. I guess allowing for 2 weeks of quarantine at home before Christmas (where we're not really supposed to do anything anyway....) then we have xmas and New Years...and then another 3 weeks before he returns. When he went in September, they allowed for a week of quarantine and a staggered arrival for all students. But they tested everyone as they arrived and made sure they were negative before allowing anyone to go to class/sports etc, and of course for school itself it's all masking and social distancing and cohorts. I've been really impressed with the way his school has handled things, I think other schools could learn from this. But they are lucky that they had some kind of connection for getting access to so many rapid testing supplies etc that may not be feasible everywhere.
Huh.
I really don't care what they do. Just keep the students safe, okay? And... sounds like they're doing a pretty good job of that. :thumbsup2
For his March break though that will be a different story. They only have a 2 week break, so if things are not radically different by then, it won't make any sense to have him come home and have to quarantine for his whole break.
No, I suppose not. But two weeks isn't too bad.
The school is looking at some options for kids for whom it isn't practical to go home and we'll see what they come up with. My mom who is 80 years old, is an extreme optimist who thinks that she may be vaccinated by then and might be able to travel to the US to spend the break with her grandson but....I'm not holding my breath on that one!
But man, wouldn't it be great if she could go? And be safe?
No this is a different one. I think it's called ArriveCAN or CanArrive? It somehow checks in with you or you check in with them and they still call you to double check you are in quarantine but I don't think as often as if you don't use the app.
ohhhhh... okay. :)

I'd be perfectly fine to close my eyes tonight and wake up to someone shaking me and saying "Okay, you're immune now. Go have fun."

OMG yes! Funny because my mom and I have been laughing about the fact that my dad can fall asleep anywhere and anytime and never seems to have trouble sleeping like the rest of us. Would be so nice to just sleep until about March...

Maybe the ads should just say "For the love of Pete... stay home!"

Yeah, they really need to do something different with the messaging because what they are doing just ain't working. I have no idea what more they can do at this point other than speed up that damn vaccine delivery.

Huh.
I really don't care what they do. Just keep the students safe, okay? And... sounds like they're doing a pretty good job of that. :thumbsup2

Agreed. So far so good, and let's hope it stays that way!!

But man, wouldn't it be great if she could go? And be safe?

It would be great if she could go. And be on a plane again?? How weird would that be. I think I'm gonna have some PTSD for a while and be afraid to touch anything or go near anyone for a while even after this is over!! I really hope the powers that be are at least spending a little time thinking about how to prevent this from ever happening again.

As it stands right now we will be video chatting to open presents and celebrate GD's 1 year old birthday until we see better what the numbers are doing; part of that seems silly knowing that my oldest daughter will be back teaching after Christmas and GD will be in daycare with unmasked children and child care workers... *shrug* I guess it's my own fault for raising good law abiding citizens!

Ugh. Video chat Christmas...that's rough. Some of these decisions are so hard to make. I am so conflicted about it all too. Like it seems wrong to me to deprive my parents to seeing their grandkids for the holidays when they regularly go to the grocery store and my mom was even contemplating going to another region to get her nails done where they are still allowed to be open (I "think" I talked her out of that one...but still...ugh. Cringe.)

OMG yes! Funny because my mom and I have been laughing about the fact that my dad can fall asleep anywhere and anytime and never seems to have trouble sleeping like the rest of us. Would be so nice to just sleep until about March...
I'm envious of your dad!
Yeah, they really need to do something different with the messaging because what they are doing just ain't working. I have no idea what more they can do at this point other than speed up that damn vaccine delivery.
I guess it's a fine line between "Tell them the truth" and "Maybe don't cause a panic".... :rolleyes:
It would be great if she could go. And be on a plane again?? How weird would that be. I think I'm gonna have some PTSD for a while and be afraid to touch anything or go near anyone for a while even after this is over!!
I think there's gonna be a lot of people who feel that way.
I really hope the powers that be are at least spending a little time thinking about how to prevent this from ever happening again.
I'm not an expert by any means, but...

I think that it's unpreventable that it will happen again. It was years since the last really bad pandemic (1918) but not that long since SARS. However! I think they've probably also learned a lot in a short time and maybe the next time, it won't be so prolonged.
But who really knows???

That would be my dream!
We go into "lockdown lite" aka grey on Monday. I can't believe our schools are still open. Half the kids in my class don't wear a mask half the day.
with me on the frontline and two (soon to be three) elementary school teachers our exposure is just too great with the high numbers to feel comfortable, and there is no way to socially distance from an adorable toddler who just learned how to give sloppy baby kisses - that would be too irresistible!
Agreed! I worry about exposing my SIL as I am in the school system where she works from home. We will see if we can get together on Christmas day or not.
I think that it's unpreventable that it will happen again. It was years since the last really bad pandemic (1918) but not that long since SARS. However! I think they've probably also learned a lot in a short time and maybe the next time, it won't be so prolonged.
Bill and I were talking about this the other day. He think the next pandemic will make this look like a walk in the park. I really hope that will not be the case.

Bill and I were talking about this the other day. He think the next pandemic will make this look like a walk in the park. I really hope that will not be the case.
I'd be quite okay if the next one was in 2121. Every one hundred and a bit years? I can handle that.

Yes, we debated about the video chat idea, and came to the conclusion that a safe video chat Christmas would feel better than a nervous awkward small get together for us - with me on the frontline and two (soon to be three) elementary school teachers our exposure is just too great with the high numbers to feel comfortable, and there is no way to socially distance from an adorable toddler who just learned how to give sloppy baby kisses - that would be too irresistible!

I hear you. If I could convince my parents to do a virtual Christmas instead I think that would be good, but they will not be dissuaded. Not making excuses, but my reasoning is that since I am the only adult in my house, I qualify for the "if you live alone, you can gather with one other household for Christmas" rule. Though I'm even conflicted about that because I feel like others may abuse it and have a party with a bunch of single people which is really NOT what they have in mind when they say things like that. But also, we don't have little kids and we plan to eat at separate tables and distance as much as possible. Again, not making excuses but I worry about my parents getting older and my dad isn't in great health, and while I don't want to risk exposing them, we also don't know how many Christmasses they have left. It's an agonizing decision and I know there will be repercussions no matter what we do!! I hate that! I just hope that everyone who chooses to get together does it as safely as possible and isn't stupid about it. That is what they should be saying in the media...just don't be an idiot. I guess there are just too many people with no common sense.

Of course, I have the luxury of not actually needing anything, so my ideal shopping trip is leisurely strolling and window shopping while sipping a giant Starbucks. It will be great one day to return to even that small bit of normal!

Totally with you there. That's the most fun part of going to a mall is just strolling around with no real agenda. When you actually need something specific, I find it's NOT good to go to a mall because you may never find it! Same applies to Target..sigh.

I'm envious of your dad!

You and me both!

But who really knows???

Well that's depressing, thanks @pkondz lol. But yeah you are probably right. I do hope it's not for 100 years and THEN maybe (even though we won't be around) the future scientists WILL better know how to handle it. I just really can't fathom going through this again, and I've not had that bad of an experience compared to many, so I can't really complain, BUT it still blows lol. I feel like this isn't really living and we are all just wasting precious time.

We go into "lockdown lite" aka grey on Monday. I can't believe our schools are still open. Half the kids in my class don't wear a mask half the day.

Now that is truly terrifying. I agree, I'm surprised that more schools aren't closing early for holidays to give everyone a break from the germs and lay low before the holidays. I know a few schools did close, but I really think they should all shut down for an extra two weeks after New Years or at least just go online for a while.

Ugh, that too is truly terrifying. I hope I don't live to see that!

Last edited:
Well that's depressing, thanks @pkondz lol. But yeah you are probably right. I do hope it's not for 100 years and THEN maybe (even though we won't be around) the future scientists WILL better know how to handle it. I just really can't fathom going through this again, and I've not had that bad of an experience compared to many, so I can't really complain, BUT it still blows lol. I feel like this isn't really living and we are all just wasting precious time.
Sorry! :rolleyes:

I'll be around in 100 years. I've decided to live forever. And I'll keep telling the virologists to come up with a cure-all asap.

Hello DISpeeps!!

How are the holidays going for everyone? As I may have mentioned, this was the first time in many that my family has been in Toronto for the entirety of the holiday season (and even longer it will be that we've spent an entire Canadian winter at home....ugh) But that said, I think it was not as depressing and terrible as I was expecting.

My mom is European and on her side, Christmas eve has always been the big celebration and Christmas day a more relaxed affair, and this year was the same - except without any big celebration at any time of course. my kids and I headed over to my parents' place at about 4pm on Dec 24th bearing masks and gifts. As explained, I am going with the "I'm a solo adult in my household so I will visit one other household rule" even though I was somewhat conflicted about it. We all agreed since we have been as careful as we can, that if we go down with Covid...I guess we all go down. I just hope that too many people didn't make this choice with bigger or less careful circumstances that we'll see a giant surge in a couple of weeks, but I think that's kind of inevitable.

ANYWAY....we had dinner of turkey and all the trimmings...picked up ready to heat from a place nearby, so no one had to slave over a stove for too long other than to heat things up. It was all really good and just enough for one day's leftovers but not ridiculous amounts. We cleaned up after dinner and then went to town on the gifts. I'm actually glad that my family does this all on the 24th because that way in future when my kids (hopefully) have significant others, there will be no argument about where they spend xmas day because I don't really care about the 25th if I get to see them on the 24th. When I was married it worked out well that way too. My kid were happy with their (mostly monetary) gifts. My son got a new camera because he has gotten into photography lately and wanted something that would work with fancy lenses and such - that he will be buying himself when he starts making an income...man that sh*& is expensive, I had no idea. My daughter got some clothes and jewellery that she wanted. I scored some vinyl records for my covid quarantine purchased record player. Many I wish I'd held onto my collection from back in the day. Sigh. But anyway, now I have some good classics to spin!

Christmas day my kids got stockings which I filled with some small gifts and candy treats, and also got them masks bearing pics of our dog which they liked. And actually they are quite good masks - glad I invested in one for myself too! Then they went off for lunch with their dad and grandma on that side. Again, she lives alone so that was the rationale and she has diabetes and some other conditions but she has been super careful as well.

Again, conflicted about that too, but the guilt is also terrible!! But now that it's done, I think we may lay off seeing anyone at all for a couple of weeks and see what transpires. I know a ton of people travelled over the holidays and have their own reasons for justifying it and I really can't judge. I just hope we can finally get this thing under control. I wish there was some way that the vaccine rollout could happen faster than what they are predicting.

Anyway...we have been pretty lazy for past two days, movie watching, did some practice driving with my son and he took us downtown where this is the awesome view.

Check out those icicles!! And the ground was solid ice which was very tricky to walk on, I actually did wipe out once (or twice) but it was worth it!

Oh some Disney (related?) news? We watched Wonder Woman 1984 yesterday via the Cineplex app. I am sorry but I wasn't that impressed...although I did love the 80's costumes and staging!!

Not much else to report other than that I'm happy this year is almost over!! Debating what food to order in for New Year's eve dinner since that's as exciting as it's gonna get around here!! My kids may do a backyard fire pit two person party at a friend's house down the street for as long as they can stand being outside and of course socially distanced, but I will be at home in my pj's watching the ball drop....er...are they even doing that with no one there to watch it? I'm sure, right? right?

But that said, I think it was not as depressing and terrible as I was expecting.
Had a similar reaction here too. Couldn't see my sister or parents (although we did go and carol them from the front lawn, Christmas evening.)
my kids and I headed over to my parents' place at about 4pm on Dec 24th bearing masks and gifts.
:laughing: At first I read that as "masks? Like Mardi Gras masks as gifts? Is this a tradi... oh. :blush: "
I just hope that too many people didn't make this choice with bigger or less careful circumstances that we'll see a giant surge in a couple of weeks, but I think that's kind of inevitable.
I agree. I'm anticipating a nice big spike in two weeks.
we had dinner of turkey and all the trimmings..
mmm... yum.
picked up ready to heat from a place nearby, so no one had to slave over a stove for too long other than to heat things up
Oh really! Nice! Didn't know that even existed.
When I was married it worked out well that way too.
We had only minor issues, so I think we were fortunate in that department too.
My son got a new camera because he has gotten into photography lately and wanted something that would work with fancy lenses and such
Nice. :thumbsup2
man that sh*& is expensive, I had no idea.
Oh, yes. If he really gets into it... just wait.
I must've spent over $20,000 over the years.
I scored some vinyl records for my covid quarantine purchased record player.
Cool! Happy for you. :)
got them masks bearing pics of our dog which they liked.
:laughing: Like that.
I think we may lay off seeing anyone at all for a couple of weeks and see what transpires.
Yup. Well, we're locked down anyways, so it's not much of a choice, but... Yup.
I know a ton of people travelled over the holidays and have their own reasons for justifying it and I really can't judge.
One more reason we'll see a spike.
But... it is what it is.
I wish there was some way that the vaccine rollout could happen faster than what they are predicting.
YES!!!
Those icicles are cool!
I actually did wipe out once (or twice) but it was worth it!
Ouch! You're okay?
We watched Wonder Woman 1984 yesterday via the Cineplex app. I am sorry but I wasn't that impressed
Oddly... I don't really have much interest in seeing it. I think I'm getting just a bit tired of the whole superhero genre.
I will be at home in my pj's watching the ball drop....er...are they even doing that with no one there to watch it? I'm sure, right? right?
That's a good question! I don't know!

At first I read that as "masks? Like Mardi Gras masks as gifts? Is this a tradi... oh. :blush: "

Ha yep. Mask in 2020 has a whole new meaning. Sigh.

Oh, yes. If he really gets into it... just wait.

Yeah. The camera he really wanted was waaaaayyyy over budget so I actually worked with his photography teacher at school to find a compromise that had a good deal on for the holidays, and she said that the pieces and lenses etc could be switched out later for better parts if he is so inclined (and when he is making his own income lol) but for now it's more than adequate for his needs! Though he did say the tripod that came with the package is pretty flimsy which I guess isn't good, but he will manage!

Ouch! You're okay?

Yeah, luckily I didn't go down too hard lol a little stingy on the hands to land on solid ice, but it passed quickly!

That's a good question! I don't know!

So I heard that the ball "is" dropping, and there will be some live music performances as usual, but just no crowds being allowed to gather. So. That's what I will be doing on NYE.

We all agreed since we have been as careful as we can, that if we go down with Covid...I guess we all go down. I just hope that too many people didn't make this choice with bigger or less careful circumstances that we'll see a giant surge in a couple of weeks, but I think that's kind of inevitable.
We debated getting together with Bill's sister but in the end it just felt too risky. She is 61, has asthma and a few other issues. With me working in the school system and Jack just home from university, it just didn't feel safe. We will do a Christmas part two when things settle down a bit.
Again, conflicted about that too, but the guilt is also terrible!! But now that it's done, I think we may lay off seeing anyone at all for a couple of weeks and see what transpires. I know a ton of people travelled over the holidays and have their own reasons for justifying it and I really can't judge. I just hope we can finally get this thing under control. I wish there was some way that the vaccine rollout could happen faster than what they are predicting.
I know! my sister is an ER doc in PEI so she got vaccinated last week. I think school staff will be pretty high on the list once health care/LTC/ elderly people are taken care of. I really hope the general pop is done by summer. The big question is what is going to happen with children. There is no vaccine approved for use in those under 16 yet.
Not much else to report other than that I'm happy this year is almost over!! Debating what food to order in for New Year's eve dinner since that's as exciting as it's gonna get around here!! My kids may do a backyard fire pit two person party at a friend's house down the street for as long as they can stand being outside and of course socially distanced, but I will be at home in my pj's watching the ball drop....er...are they even doing that with no one there to watch it? I'm sure, right? right?
We will order in New Year's Eve and maybe make a special dessert but that's as exciting as it's going to be here. We have been hiking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing and generally hanging out as a family which I don't see changing any time soon.
Wow! Good camera gear is definitely pricy but worth it.

Ha yep. Mask in 2020 has a whole new meaning. Sigh.
Unfortunately.
Yeah. The camera he really wanted was waaaaayyyy over budget so I actually worked with his photography teacher at school to find a compromise that had a good deal on for the holidays, and she said that the pieces and lenses etc could be switched out later for better parts if he is so inclined (and when he is making his own income lol) but for now it's more than adequate for his needs! Though he did say the tripod that came with the package is pretty flimsy which I guess isn't good, but he will manage!
A bad/flimsy tripod is almost worse than not having one.
Eventually he'll get one... and decide what kind of head is best for him (ball head/pano head/trigger/rail...)
Yeah, luckily I didn't go down too hard lol a little stingy on the hands to land on solid ice, but it passed quickly!
Glad you didn't hurt yourself more!
So I heard that the ball "is" dropping, and there will be some live music performances as usual, but just no crowds being allowed to gather. So. That's what I will be doing on NYE.
Now we know. :)

I don't know if I'll be up for it. I'll have just gotten off a midnight shift that morning. We'll see.

The big question is what is going to happen with children. There is no vaccine approved for use in those under 16 yet.

Yeah, I heard that they have started testing the vaccines in youth and kids but who knows how long it will take. I really hope that by the time they have vaccinated everyone in every other age group that's willing, then they will be ready to start in on the kids and teens. I really don't think it's fair to them if they have to go through another school year this way!

I don't know if I'll be up for it. I'll have just gotten off a midnight shift that morning. We'll see.

Yeah...even though I'll be home doing not much else...I'm not sure I will even stay up until midnight. In fact...considering going to bed now and staying there until Jan 1, 2021 lol.

Yeah...even though I'll be home doing not much else...I'm not sure I will even stay up until midnight. In fact...considering going to bed now and staying there until Jan 1, 2021 lol.
Good plan.
Can I just go to bed now and wake up Jan 1, 2022?????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter