Minnie Mouse now captain of all DCL ships

Kids learn a lot about social norms, expectations, gender roles, and stereotypes through the things they are exposed to everyday. Their toys, the books they read, the entertainment they watch- it all gives constant, subtle message about what certain genders, races, socioeconmic classes should and should not do.

I think it is great that Minnie is switching it up between pants and skirts if that's what she wants to do. And if someday Mickey decides to try a skirt or ballgown, there would be nothing wrong with that either. The more that kids are exposed to the idea of a girl captain in pants, the more it normalizes the idea, and the less likely future generations will be biased and hateful about ideas and lifestyles different from their own.

Looking at photos, it seems Captain Mickey typically wears a blue coat, while Minnie is in her signature red. She is also wearing shiny red heels (which seems completely impractical but whatever), plus those lashes make her stand out. When I saw the photo I could tell it was Minnie and not Mickey, even in pants.

I wonder, do some of your kids have trouble identifying women in real life if they aren't in skirts? Mine doesn't seem to have this problem.

all due respect to the secondhand opinion of one psychologist who is a friend of a poster, kids do notice when there is something like them that they can relate to especially if it was rather rare. Minnie has always played second fiddle to Mickey so putting her on equal footing is a good thing all around, issue of there being more than one captain aside (there was more than one captain before anyway, the real captain and the mouse captain). The plan is to have her run STEM activities and also appear with real life female crew members. I think it's a great change and I have a son.
Great job taking what I said out of context in your attempt to be snarky, and rude.

I explicitly said I agreed, in principle, with the ideas of representation, etc. But, that in the context of DCL, the effects would be minimal, at best, and I felt it was more a PR move for adults to applaud.

Young kids just aren't going to take much (if any) meaning from the change in outfit of a giant mouse.

I support Minnie in whatever she chooses to wear. I firmly believe she can do any role AND still dress feminine IF she wants to.

So many here claim to be feminists but seem to think that choosing to be feminine is bad? That's the OPPOSITE of supporting the idea that women are equal. So confused.

The qualities I listed are antithetical to that outfit. If she is going to be captain, they need to put her in a cuter outfit at least, or it won't fit the theming for Minnie. As others have commented, she looks almost like Mickey as it is. She shouldn't lose her style and femininity just because she's captain.
If the outfit doesn't fit her character, the kids won't feel connected to it (which they would express as like or don't like the).

If the kids don't connect to it, well...

Let's just say if Captain Minnie doesn't perform well at her job, she won't be sticking around. And her job is to sell photos.

Looking at photos, it seems Captain Mickey typically wears a blue coat, while Minnie is in her signature red. She is also wearing shiny red heels (which seems completely impractical but whatever), plus those lashes make her stand out. When I saw the photo I could tell it was Minnie and not Mickey, even in pants.

I wonder, do some of your kids have trouble identifying women in real life if they aren't in skirts? Mine doesn't seem to have this problem.
Well, mine do have trouble identifying male and female mice in real life. Probably because the female mice don't wear skirts.

I support Minnie in whatever she chooses to wear. I firmly believe she can do any role AND still dress feminine IF she wants to.

So many here claim to be feminists but seem to think that choosing to be feminine is bad? That's the OPPOSITE of supporting the idea that women are equal. So confused.

No one here has said that she can’t or shouldn't wear the skirt. Rather, some of us disagree with the sentiment that she must wear the skirt or else she no longer “works” as Minnie.

If the outfit doesn't fit her character, the kids won't feel connected to it (which they would express as like or don't like the).

If the kids don't connect to it, well...

Let's just say if Captain Minnie doesn't perform well at her job, she won't be sticking around. And her job is to sell photos.

Is Captain Mickey having trouble selling photos? Why would Minnie have problems selling photos?

Is Captain Mickey having trouble selling photos? Why would Minnie have problems selling photos?
I didn't say she WOULD have trouble selling photos.

I said if kids don't like the outfit, then she may have trouble. Nothing to do with her being Captain, per se. I was responding to the poster who discussed the design of the outfit.

Same with Mickey. If they put him in an outfit the kids didn't respond to, he may have trouble also. And, if that happened, that outfit would quickly disappear, also.

People/kids seem to like Mickey's outfit with the blue blazer. Time will tell if they like Minnie in the red.

Wait, who said that choosing to be feminine was bad? (I missed that one).

I’ll tell you what won’t have any trouble selling- merchandise with Captain Minnie on it. I bet it becomes some of their top selling shirts, and jackets, and plushies, and toys. This is going to be a small gold mine for their DCL merchandise over the next 12 months.

I didn't say she WOULD have trouble selling photos.

I said if kids don't like the outfit, then she may have trouble. Nothing to do with her being Captain, per se. I was responding to the poster who discussed the design of the outfit.

Same with Mickey. If they put him in an outfit the kids didn't respond to, he may have trouble also. And, if that happened, that outfit would quickly disappear, also.

People/kids seem to like Mickey's outfit with the blue blazer. Time will tell if they like Minnie in the red.

I'm 100% sure she'll be just as popular. Her outfit is awesome.

No one here has said that she can’t or shouldn't wear the skirt. Rather, some of us disagree with the sentiment that she must wear the skirt or else she no longer “works” as Minnie.
And, I don't think anyone said she "must wear the skirt" either.

The comment you are referencing talked about the outfit as a whole. My take on what she said was that they could have her in a costume she liked, and wear pants, both.

I'm 100% sure she'll be just as popular. Her outfit is awesome.
You might very well be right here.

In general, I would agree that Disney is AMAZING at designing items the GP will grab off shelves. Based on that history alone, I would predict that Captain Minnie is a great seller.

Great job taking what I said out of context in your attempt to be snarky, and rude.

I explicitly said I agreed, in principle, with the ideas of representation, etc. But, that in the context of DCL, the effects would be minimal, at best, and I felt it was more a PR move for adults to applaud.

Young kids just aren't going to take much (if any) meaning from the change in outfit of a giant mouse.

You just seem set on sharing your opinion...a lot, but this isn’t just about outfits and pictures. They have built an entire STEM program for the clubs around Captain Minnie and she will be holding activities in the Club so her exposure went from someone who occasionally wanders around posing for pictures and stands next to Mickey to having an identity and program built around her. Kids will walk away saying I had fun learning about x with Minnie and that will have an affect. In addition, even if it is a PR move, I think we can all applaud gender equality no and like presenting more opportunities for girls (and Disney has tied this launch with outreach to women in navigational roles).

It seems weird that people are boiling this down to outfits and getting second hand psyche consultations.

And, I don't think anyone said she "must wear the skirt" either.

The comment you are referencing talked about the outfit as a whole. My take on what she said was that they could have her in a costume she liked, and wear pants, both.

Ironic - now you’re the one being selective in your context.

What I said was some people are suggesting she must wear the skirt or else she doesn’t work as a character.

And isn’t that exactly what you are suggesting may happen? That kids will be turned off by a pants-wearing Minnie, they won’t “connect” with her and won’t want their picture taken with her?

I guess truth will out eventually. If she’s still wearing pants in six months, we’ll have our answer.

Last edited:

It is not “choosing to be feminine” that is bad/problematic.

It is the assertion that “being feminine” means only wearing a skirt - that you cannot be feminine and wear pants that is the problematic thing.

See the pics above - Captain Kate often wears pants and is still super feminine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter