Mirena Users: Experiences, please

LiveYourLife

DIS Veteran
Hello All:
There are a few threads that date back to 2008 regarding the Mirena IUD. I'm looking for current experiences (placement, pros of having it, cons of having it, etc....).

My high-level backstory: GYN is recommending it due to age (mid forties), high estrogen levels, and semi-abnormal cycles (nothing too crazy). I've also never had children.

Insurance covers it 100%. GYN has prescribed misoprostol to use the night before, plus vicodin for a couple of hours before.

I'm still on the fence because a lot of the reviews out there are so negative.

Thanks in advance! :)

I guess I don't read reviews since I'm on my 3rd Mirena. I'm now 52 (this one comes out soon) I had the first one put in place after having my 3rd child because we knew we were finished having kids. I didn't need any meds; I truly think that is overkill for the procedure. It is "uncomfortable" sure. I remember my doc saying some people have cramping afterward; mine has always been very minimal.
I've experienced no problems with the Mirena.

I didn't have the Mirena, I had the Paraguard. I think I was given something to "take the edge off" during the actual placement procedure, but I agree with the PP that it wasn't that bad and your list of meds sounds like overkill.

I guess I don't read reviews since I'm on my 3rd Mirena. I'm now 52 (this one comes out soon) I had the first one put in place after having my 3rd child because we knew we were finished having kids. I didn't need any meds; I truly think that is overkill for the procedure. It is "uncomfortable" sure. I remember my doc saying some people have cramping afterward; mine has always been very minimal.
I've experienced no problems with the Mirena.

I didn't have the Mirena, I had the Paraguard. I think I was given something to "take the edge off" during the actual placement procedure, but I agree with the PP that it wasn't that bad and your list of meds sounds like overkill.

Thank you both for your input. I've got a low threshold for pain, plus I've never had kids, so I'm thinking that's why my GYN went with the meds for placement.

Thanks again!

I took Advil, it did hurt , drove myself home and used a hot water bottle for a few hours . That was fine . I’m not into anything stronger , but that’s me .

I got mine back in January, so it's been about 10 months. I got it for it's intended use and my doctor said it would also benefit me because it should help with endometriosis. The doctor didn't outright say it, but I think she didn't want me taking pills because of my age (37) and being overweight.

I have never had kids, so I was quite worried about the insertion. The only thing I was told to do prior to the procedure was to take a few ibuprofen. To be honest, it hurt like hell. It is an entirely unique burning cramping pain. The thing is, it really only takes a minute or two and if I can make it through, anyone should. I did have some pretty uncomfortable cramping for the next few days, so I really just took it easy and took Aleve as I could and used a heating pad.

I lightly bled for the first 3 months. It was pretty discouraging and a huge annoyance. After that point, it got better and better. There were several times I really wanted to just have it taken out, but at this point I am very glad I didn't. It was worth the annoyance and pain.

Thank you both for your input. I've got a low threshold for pain, plus I've never had kids, so I'm thinking that's why my GYN went with the meds for placement.

Thanks again!
If you have a low pain threshold and you will have anxiety before the procedure by all means take the meds. We are not all the same so do what is best for you and your body!

I had one placed and I didn't even know the procedure was over. Skill of the practitioner can make a difference.

I am also on my 3rd one (46 yrs old) and have had no issues. I had the 1st one put in after having my youngest. No issues with insertion or removal other than very minor discomfort and I didn’t need any meds. (Not saying you shouldn’t take any)
Had quite a bit of cramping along with bleeding with the first one, but I was also postpartum, c-section, and nursing so it’s impossible to say what the primary source of cramping was.
In between my last 2 children, I did try to use the pill again. I had used it as a teen/ young adult for period issues with no side effects. But, when I tried it the second time around I had horrible side effects. The Mirena has been much better for me.
Best of luck.

The problem with "reviews" for medical devices is that everyone is so different. In my circle of friends, I probably know about a dozen that have or have had Mirena. About half are thrilled and would never do anything else. The other half had horrible side-effects and had it removed. I have been on Nuvaring for about a decade. I consulted my gyno about switching to Mirena and she advised that because birth control is so tailored to the individual, if I was happy with what I had currently (I was and am) that I should stick to what I love. If you're not happy with your current form, trying a new one couldn't hurt, just know that there's a huge spectrum of satisfaction for it and you won't really know until you get it yourself.

I had it and hated it. Looking back I can’t believe my obgyn recommended it because I already had issues with ovarian cysts. It only made my cysts continue and I spotted the whole time I had it (7 months). I saw a new gyno. He took the mirena out and put me on Seasonale instead. Much better!

I took a vicodin before my insertion and it was the worst pain I have ever felt. I almost passed out and my OB/GYN was going to stop. I told her to continue. It was horrible, and I had the worst cramps the rest of the day. I will never have another one put in.
I get pretty bad cramps on it and I'm pretty sure I have an ovarian cyst. My OB/GYN is so backed up I can't get to see her until the end of December.

When I went to discuss Mirena with my doctor she suggest the NuvaRing. I am mostly happy with it but since it contains Estrogen this is likely something that won't work for you. The thing that made me try it was that if it caused issues I could just remove it and not have to go in. I had really bad bleeding with other hormone BC options (20 years ago).

My daughter has the Mirena and she seems happy with it. Her periods are light or nonexistent. She did have bad cramping the night after it was inserted though. She is about due to have it replaced.

I am on my second one, that I just had inserted about a week ago.

I have never had children so my doctor prescribed me with Valium and high dose pain meds for the insertion of the first one as she worried it would be very painful for me. I know that I have a very high pain tolerance, so I just took two regular Motrin and I didn't feel a thing. I had some cramping for a couple days, but otherwise was fine. The removal was a little more complicated because apparently that doctor trimmed the strings too short, and they were not able to remove it easily with the normal procedure, so they had to do a slightly more 'invasive' procedure to remove it. I was prescribed 2 Percocet and high dose Motrin, I took 2 regular Motrin, and just one of the Percocet, and using ultrasound guidance they were able to easily remove it in a couple minutes and it didn't hurt at all. The insertion of the second one was similarly easy with 2 regular Motrin. I had cramping that night, and the next morning, but otherwise was perfectly fine. I loved that I didn't have my period at all for the 5 years that I had the first Mirena, and hope that continues with this second one. This is the only bc I will consider for myself, as long as I continue to not have any issues with it.

As another poster mentioned these things are very person dependent, I had NuvaRing prior to Mirena and it was a horrible experience for me that I would never want to repeat.

Last edited:
The Mayo clinic recommend it for my 16 yr old. She said that it hurt going in. She had to wait in room for a bit. She said that she will get another in 5 yrs. She has had hers for abut 5 months

A couple of people have mentioned they don't have kids. Some women who do have kids have never had a child pass through the birth canal, either, like myself, who had a C Section (twins). Just for consideration.

Also, high dose Motrin is 800mg, and maximum dosage of Motrin is 800mg, so you shouldn't take two of those pills at once. Noting this not so much to correct the pp, but just so others know not to take that much! https://www.drugs.com/motrin.html

A couple of people have mentioned they don't have kids. Some women who do have kids have never had a child pass through the birth canal, either, like myself, who had a C Section (twins). Just for consideration.

Also, high dose Motrin is 800mg, and maximum dosage of Motrin is 800mg, so you shouldn't take two of those pills at once. Noting this not so much to correct the pp, but just so others know not to take that much! https://www.drugs.com/motrin.html

OOPS I think this was from my post, I didn't take any of the high dose motrin prescribed, I just took two regular Motrin (200mg each) each time. I was trying to show the difference between what my doctor prescribed for pain, and what I actually took and the pain levels I experienced. Thanks for the check and I edited the post to say that I took 2 regular motrin each time.

OOPS I think this was from my post, I didn't take any of the high dose motrin prescribed, I just took two regular Motrin (200mg each) each time. I was trying to show the difference between what my doctor prescribed for pain, and what I actually took and the pain levels I experienced. Thanks for the check and I edited the post to say that I took 2 regular motrin each time.
Oh, ok, great! I just didn't want people to think that was ok!

My first Mirena was placed at my 6 week post partum exam. Insertion was mildly uncomfortable. I didn’t take any meds and felt fine driving myself and baby home.

When it was time to come out, I swapped it for another one mid-cycle. Insertion was very uncomfortable with lots of bleeding. I didn’t take any meds but really wished I did. I think there was something wrong with the placement because it felt pinched. Four years in, the strings disappeared. I’ll save you the doom and gloom on getting it out.

Loved the first one and had no problems at all with it.

I got mine a few years ago. I love it because I have very light periods. Mine for some reason got really heavy after my 2nd kid. I don’t remember it hurting when they put it in, but my doctor did advise me to get it in right after my period to ensure I wasn’t pregnant and also that it would hurt less. I did spot for several weeks, but after that it was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter