misc questions - wheelchairs, location of rooms, etc

RedRuby

TDC Barrister & Solicitor to Mr. D. Duck
Hi all,
I was directed here from the resorts forum to ask about a couple of things. I'm hoping some DISers with experience will be able to share some thoughts.

One adult member of our family has a few significant medical conditions, and so it would be very very helpful to have (read: practically REQUIRED and a huge inconvenience not to have) a room close to a bus stop and central to our resort's restaurants and snack bar area (We're staying at CSR). It would be hugely helpful for her to have a connecting room with another couple in our party, so that someone can help care for her and the children in our group too (4yo boy, and two- almost-3yo girls), as needed.

She would probably also appreciate the use of a wheelchair.

She can/does normally walk but has stamina issues and can easily supply doctor's notes for all requests.

I asked our TA to make requests for these, based on this person's medical condition(s). Our TA responded that Disney only has wheelchairs on a first come, first served basis within the parks, not at the resorts at all, and that she's got a note on our reservation re: the location issue.

I was wondering if my TA should be speaking to a particular desk or department at Disney (she's with AAA so they have to call through to the AAA desk to start but she could ask to be transfered from there, perhaps?).

And on the wheelchairs, I thought I'd heard on DIS that there are chairs at resorts -- was I mistaken? (Obviously we can rent one locally if it's not available and my family member wants/requires one and Disney doesn't provide them, but I felt obliged to check out the Disney-resort route first.)

Welcome to disABILTIES, you have found the right place.

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the index. About the 5th item down is a thread "disABILITIES FAQ". It has lots of information about accessibility, wheelchairs and Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECVs). It might be a good idea for you to read through that first and then ask more specific questions.

They do have wheelchairs for loan at the resorts, but they are first come-first serve.
As Cheshire Figment posted, you will get a lot of your questions answered by looking at the disABILITIES FAQs.
You don't need a doctor letter to get your requests, but since the resort is very large and what is considered "close" to the resort may not be what you consider close, it would be easier for her to use a wheelchair or ecv rented from one of the off-site companies.

Cheshire Figment said:
Welcome to disABILTIES, you have found the right place.

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the index. About the 5th item down is a thread "disABILITIES FAQ". It has lots of information about accessibility, wheelchairs and Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECVs). It might be a good idea for you to read through that first and then ask more specific questions.

Thanks very much for pointing me to the FAQ; this was my first visit to this forum and I'm embarassed to say I'd forgotten to look for a FAQ first :sad1:
I'll take a look and follow up with any specifics if they're not answered. Thanks again (to everyone who responded)...

CSR is a HUGE resort- the main pool area, for instance,is the farthest point away from the main building. There really isn't a traditional "food court" there but the Pepper Market does have selections for breakfast, lunch, dinner- a bit pricier than the other moderate resorts. There's also a very small "grab and go" area and the Maya Grill, a table service restaurant that also has a breakfast buffet. There are a few buildings close to the main one and hopefully they will put you there, but getting a wheelchair will be your best bet for having a good trip -- there is alot of walking even if you receive the closest building ( they usually have convention guests in those buildings). Then of course there's all the walking in the parks. As was mentioned above, manual wheelchairs are first come, first served at the resorts and I know of at least one party who didn't receive one for that reason- just to prepare you in case that happens. Kathy

I can't help with the wheelchair info but we stayed at CSR earlier this month and it is very very spread out. Any chance you'd want to switch resorts to something smaller like POFQ?

CSR is very nice though so no problems there. We were in a building connected to the El Centro so it wasn't too far to get to the Pepper Market but we were just opposite of the main pool. It did seem like a haul to get over there after a long day. The resort has these extra large golf carts being driven by CM's that you can flag down and hitch a ride but don't count on it. Often times they went by us full already. There is a quiet pool in each section but you, like us, have little kids so we ended up going to the main pool cause that is the only pool with a baby pool.

Good luck with your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter