• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Misconceptions People Have

1. Because I'm a baby boomer, I've got a nice pension waiting when I retire. Oh, Lord, I wish!!

My mom has a pension, although she got laid off before she qualified for a max pension. And they did everything they could to keep her on board long enough to qualify, but then they moved the last part of her group to the Midwest and she wasn't going to go. Strange thing though - she worked at an old-line company where the pensions were company wide because of a strong union for their blue collar workers. She was always an office worker and talked about how she detested unions.

The misconceptions tend to have about me these days:
  1. Because I have a beard (short) and a ponytail (as long as it will grow), I'm obviously an ex-hippie. Nope. Retired Army officer.
  2. Because I'm a native Texan, I love the University of Texas and the Dallas Cowboys. Nope. I don't care about UT, and I don't care about football at all, but I do root for Baylor (where I got my MS).
  3. Because I'm a Southerner, I'm a redneck conservative. Nope. Social liberal, economic conservative.
  4. Because I live in Austin, I'm a sign-carrying liberal. (See No. 3 above.)
  5. Because I'm a baby boomer, I've got a nice pension waiting when I retire. Oh, Lord, I wish!!
There's one...
My grandfather was one of the biggest hippies I've ever known (and I come from a whole family of them :) ).
He was drafted and served two tours in Vietnam. I've never asked him if that turned him into a hippie or if he was one before but....

Last edited:
Because I'm a mother of twins people think (especially when I was pregnant ) that they can ask me incredibly intrusive questions like whether or not they were conceived naturaly :/

Percent increases in disease rate is not absolute. It's relative.

"Eating processed meat causes a 17% increase in colorectal cancer" doesn't mean 17% of people who eat bacon will get colorectal cancer. It means the number of people who get colorectal cancer per year increases 17% (based on one study).

For example:
65 out of 1000 people in the UK who eat less than 10oz of processed meat per day get colorectal cancer.
76 out of 1000 people in the UK who eat 10oz or more of processed meat per day get colorectal cancer.
11 more people, which is 1.1% of 1000 people. But 76 is 17% more than 65...

Last edited:

Being from Australia:

1. No, we don't have kangaroos, koalas, etc. as pets or roaming the streets. At least not until you reach rural areas (although we have had an echidna and a blue tongue lizard in the backyard at my aunt's beach house). Oh, and a koala is NOT a bear!

2. Everything here is trying to kill us. If you come here chances are you'll never encounter a shark, snake or deadly spider (emphasis on the deadly part...I could probably locate 5 spiders in my house right now, but they're just daddy long legs). Just watch out for drop bears...

3. It is not warm all the time here, certainly not in Melbourne! Yes, it can get hot in summer, and no, our winters don't get as cold as say New York, but it certainly does get cold for a large chunk of the year!

4. Not everyone is a Crocodile Dundee-type bogan with a broad accent who lives in the bush. Most people live in our large, beautiful cities that have an abundance of culture with theatre, restaurants and really, really good coffee.

5. Most importantly...Vegemite is not eaten straight from a jar! It's best on toast with lots of butter and just a tiny scraping of Vegemite, or with cheese (e.g. a cheese and Vegemite toastie or a Cheesymite scroll). The reason you Americans can't stand the taste is because you're doing it wrong!

All Americans have crappy insurance, are drowning in medical bills and are lacking in access to quick and quality care.

1. Big Cities are bad places to live:

DH's family moved from where we live now, to another state, where DH and I met. They still live there, but we have since moved to within 25 miles of where DH came from. It's a big city, and where they lived 25 years ago is overrun with gangs and other "urban" ways of life. The family has relatives that still are involved in *some* of that. (cousins and 2nd cousins, etc, not close family).

However, DH's family really only knows one side of this metropolitan area, so we constantly have to remind them that this is a big state and not everything is the same everywhere. We live in a beautiful village about 20 miles west of the city, where the majority of the population is ethnically-diverse professional middle to upper-middle class. We make more money than we ever have before (not that it's so much to brag about! LOL). However cost of living here is really high, so while we are looked down on for our modest 4 bedroom, 2 bath 1400 sq foot house on a postage stamp size lot, it cost the same as my BIL's sprawling 3000 foot house where they and their 2 kids each have their own 'TV Rooms" and bathrooms.

The misconception is that we live in a bad, unsafe area, when in reality, we moved here because the schools are top 10 in the state, there hasn't been a crime more serious than a car break-in in over 20 years, and my kids can walk around the neighborhood as freely as they could when we lived in the country. As a matter of fact, when we lived in a rural town before moving here, a house down the street was raided becuase the teenager living there has a whole meth lab in his basement, and in another incident, a little 4 year old boy was beaten to death over a 3 day period for wetting his pants, and the mother just stood by and let it happen because she was on probation for drugs and had drugs in the apartment! So it just goes to show that crazies are everywhere, and just because you live near a big city doesn't mean that you (or your kids) are destined to become gang thugs.

2. Teenagers are scary

Not if you know the right ones! I love being around my teen and his friends.

3. Work vs. Stay at Home

I've done both, plus I've brought my kids to work with me, and worked from home. So, I've pretty much done it all. My best compromise is working at home. I'm still around, but still making money.

But the biggest misconception in all that drama is that it is just as hard being a SAHM as it is to be a working mom. As a person who has the above credentials, let me tell you: Staying at home and taking care of the kids was the easiest by far. I wish I was still doing it. It really wasn't "hard", and I was able to get everything done, dinner cooked, kids taken care of, and still have a little time to do what I want. My days were full and busy, especially when my kids were 5 1/2, 19 months, and newborn. But I was busy with the stuff I *wanted* to do, and my house was always clean and the kids always had their homework done. I'm by no means belittling or putting down either choice in any way shape or form - I wish I still was a SAHM with all my might, but I also like knowing I can pay my electric bill! But, not one of my "home" responsibilities changed when I started working, plus now I have to worry about performance reviews and hitting a monthly number goal and my busines accounts and a whole bunch of cr** I really don't care about. I just want to be a mom and worry about/be with my kids! SAHM=Best. Job. I've. Ever. Had.

Last edited:
Being from Australia:

1. No, we don't have kangaroos, koalas, etc. as pets or roaming the streets. At least not until you reach rural areas (although we have had an echidna and a blue tongue lizard in the backyard at my aunt's beach house). Oh, and a koala is NOT a bear!

2. Everything here is trying to kill us. If you come here chances are you'll never encounter a shark, snake or deadly spider (emphasis on the deadly part...I could probably locate 5 spiders in my house right now, but they're just daddy long legs). Just watch out for drop bears...

3. It is not warm all the time here, certainly not in Melbourne! Yes, it can get hot in summer, and no, our winters don't get as cold as say New York, but it certainly does get cold for a large chunk of the year!

4. Not everyone is a Crocodile Dundee-type bogan with a broad accent who lives in the bush. Most people live in our large, beautiful cities that have an abundance of culture with theatre, restaurants and really, really good coffee.

5. Most importantly...Vegemite is not eaten straight from a jar! It's best on toast with lots of butter and just a tiny scraping of Vegemite, or with cheese (e.g. a cheese and Vegemite toastie or a Cheesymite scroll). The reason you Americans can't stand the taste is because you're doing it wrong!

Well, I've heard there are snakes in the suburbs, and the venemous ones are certainly more dangerous than what we have around here. I suppose they avoid humans.

I've been to Melbourne in the winter. I even saw penguins outside of Melbourne.

And I have had Vegemite lightly on toast. Still nasty tasting.

Yes i'm from NH, and no I don't ski (actually hate snow and cold), and I am not a Red Sox or Patriots fan.

That people from MA are all atheists or agnostics. I've heard this several times and its not just not true. New Englanders tend to be more reserved and private about their beliefs than others so its not always out there but there are many very religious people around here. We used to belong to an evangelical church and they had a very hard time getting people to speak to others about religion because it is just so against the local culture.

Props to my fellow New Jerseyans for mentioning The Sopranos and Jersey Shore as being the biggest misconceptions about us! I'm adding in The Real Housewives of New Jersey.

That people from MA are all atheists or agnostics. I've heard this several times and its not just not true. New Englanders tend to be more reserved and private about their beliefs than others so its not always out there but there are many very religious people around here. We used to belong to an evangelical church and they had a very hard time getting people to speak to others about religion because it is just so against the local culture.
When I think of MA and religion the first thing that comes to mind is Boston Catholics.

That a housewife (or husband) must necessarily have it pretty easy and sit around eating bon bons all day or something. That might well be the case for some people, but it is certainly not a given.

In my case, DH travels 80-90% of the time for work. Which means I handle basically 100% of household work, yardwork, bills, etc. I also schedule all of his appoints for doctors or whatnot, around the rare days he is in town. I drive him and his colleagues to airports and train stations nearly every week, I entertain spouses who come into town with his co workers, I research and fill in applications and handle as much as i can for him when applying for visas for some of his trips (once upon a time there were assistants who did these things, but not anymore---as they retired the bean counters decided to not replace them and just overload people already working lots of hours).

I love the flexibility and that I am able to volunteer during normal work hours (I am the OCC for local girl scouts and lead a troop as well as working with the refugees) a nd I do not put in anywhere near a 40 hour week doing "corporate wife" stuff, but I probably put in 15-20 hours most weeks, plus that 100% of house/yard/errand work that we would split closer to 50/50 if i worked and DH had a job with less travel. It totally works for DH and I and we are both very happy with it--but it irks me some (and DH a lot, actually) when people insinuate that I am basically on vacation all the time.

People think all nurses wear scrubs, know a lot about gut-wrenching medical emergencies involving decapitations, and have relationships with other people in the hospital. I'm the kinda nurse who treats the family member who has schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. And the teenager who keeps going out the window for days at a time. Not a lot of blood and guts in my business. Lots of sandwiches. And nicotine patches. More nicotine patches than you have ever seen in your whole life. For spouses, I've found my colleagues in our city to have a penchant for college professors, but you can't walk 5 feet without tripping on one and they are so adorable and they have smart genes. Runners up include cops, fire fighters, city planners and engineers-anything public oriented. Nurses like to know where the city funds are going: bicycle safety, homeless programs, carseats, home fire alarms, hurricane safety, that kinda stuff. In fact, most nurses are more useful at preparing for an emergency than triaging a zombie apocalypse. For the record, I have never done the beast with two backs at work, and don't know anyone who has. My patient needs me to hold her hand while she watches her soaps.

There's one...
My grandfather was one of the biggest hippies I've ever known (and I come from a whole family of them :) ).
He was drafted and served two tours in Vietnam. I've never asked him if that turned him into a hippie or if he was one before but....
Word to that. My husband has worked 30 years in our VA hospital. That place is chock-full of Vietnam era vets who are also hippies, home gardeners, pet enthusiasts, and peer advocates. A bunch of amazing people. Biggest group of hippies you'll ever meet. Give you the shirt right off their back they will.

regionaly-

back in the 80's and 90's when people learned I lived in napa ca they would immediately think of falcon crest and ask what it was like to live 'among the vineyards' (I didn't and the majority of napa-kins don't).

when I moved from northern ca to washington state-

people from ca always ask 'how can you stand all the rain?' (don't get much-I live on the dry side of the state), native washitonians think I'm either a 'granola eatin vegan' or 'another one of them califor-nuts that wants to change washington into california (no on both counts-I detest granola/proud omnivore, and the reason I left california to move here was b/c I hated it and traditional washington is exactly what I love).

career wise-

b/c I'm retired from social services it's assumed I'm a bleeding heart liberal in favor of funding every social program (couldn't be further from the truth b/c my heart was quickly hardened working w/in social services, and I've seen far too much money wasted and imho misappropriated from taxpayers by virtue of taking unsuccessful/unpopular high cost social programs and just renaming/rebranding them to garner support.

career wise-

b/c I'm retired from social services it's assumed I'm a bleeding heart liberal in favor of funding every social program (couldn't be further from the truth b/c my heart was quickly hardened working w/in social services, and I've seen far too much money wasted and imho misappropriated from taxpayers by virtue of taking unsuccessful/unpopular high cost social programs and just renaming/rebranding them to garner support.

Not yet retired (but certainly counting down!), but this is me too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter