Mission Space green vs. orange

DMLAINI

DIS Veteran
DD6 is interested in space. We did not ride Mission Space last year but I'd like to add it to our plans next year. What's is like and what's the difference between orange and green? If you're getting motion sickness, can you just close your eyes or does it spin? Thank you!!:)

Have her try Green - it's the more gentle side. I get sick just watching the tea cups, so it's green for me. I have zero issues on green. I won't try orange. My husband, who doesn't usually get motion sickness at all felt off after Orange for a few hours. My daughter did Green at 5 with no issues. She doesn't get motion sickness, but it wasn't scary for her either. However, I won't put my youngest on it on our next trip, and he's 5. But that's because he gets easily spooked on rides - like he hated a ride similar to Dumbo at 4.

Don't close your eyes! You'll get disoriented and that will only make any motion sickness worse. Orange is the more intense version and includes spinning and g-forces; green is less intense and does not. Orange also has complimentary barf bags (not sure about green as I've only ever done orange). It's a motion-simulated trek to Mars that simulates what an astronaut goes through from liftoff to landing on Mars itself with a few obstacles thrown in.

Personally I never feel the "spinning." I just feel a lot of gravitational pressure as I am pressed back into the seat, just like taking off in a rocket. More pressure on the Orange ride than on the Green ride. But my sister-in-law did get motion sickness on this.

The green ride doesn't have the spinning centrifugal effects that the orange ride has. I can't take the orange ride... has to be green for me.

I've done both sides. Green is definitely "less intense" and I enjoy it a lot more because I can do it more than once a trip without feeling sick. I would start with green and maybe when she's a little older she could try orange. I only say that because if she doesn't enjoy orange, it may scare her off the ride and it is a fun ride. That happened to me - I hadn't done it since it had first opened because it had made me sick (I was 16 or 14 when it opened - can't remember if the ride's 10 or 12 years old) and was actually pretty nervous to try the green side for the first time last year but there was nothing to worry about on that side!

(and just so you know, they do still have barf bags on the green side ;))

To be honest, I did Orange back in 2009 and remembered it being very intense. Just went back last week and found it to be less intense this go around. Maybe because I knew what to expect this time around. Who knows.

Personally I never feel the "spinning." I just feel a lot of gravitational pressure as I am pressed back into the seat, just like taking off in a rocket.

That's exactly what it's supposed to feel like!

Some people feel it as spinning (since that's what is happening) no matter what; others feel the spin because they close their eyes or look somewhere else than they are told to look.

OP, on Green you can close your eyes.

On Orange do not close your eyes.

That's exactly what it's supposed to feel like!

Some people feel it as spinning (since that's what is happening) no matter what; others feel the spin because they close their eyes or look somewhere else than they are told to look.

OP, on Green you can close your eyes.

On Orange do not close your eyes.

I never closed my eyes once on that ride and I was sick as a dog for about 4 hours afterwards. I wouldn't speak to DH for about an hour afterwards because he convinced me it wasn't bad at all. If you get queasy on any ride that spins do not, I repeat, do not go on the Orange ride. Just writing about this experience is giving me the dry heaves!! :crazy2:

If you keep your head back, eyes forward and open all you should feel is sustained G forces. Which is a very interesting feeling, it’s the closest many of us will get to being an astronauts or fighter jet pilot.

That said if your worried go green. When the ride first opened their was no green and orange. I rode it and was fine and to this day I have never been on green. Other people such as my fiancé and father just can’t take the sustained G’s on Orange though so I 9 times out of 10 have to ride alone. Once had a young boy (w/o his parents?) in my capsule he was freaking out during launch, when the G’s stopped for a moment I told him "pretend your an astronaut this is real your flying a rocket, so grab your joystick and help me fly this thing”. He enjoyed the rest of the ride. The mind if a powerful tool if you go in expecting the worst well...

I also rode it when it first opened, about 11 years ago, but have not been back on it since. I absolutely loved that ride and went on it about five times in a row. Is it true that even the orange side is slowed down from when the ride was first opened? What a shame to take the best part away from the best ride at WDW.

On orange, they warn you NOT to close your eyes during the ride, even if you start to feel disoriented/sick. Not watching the screen or turning your face away will cause your body to experience the ride as spinning, which will increase your likelihood of getting sick.

I rode it for the first time a couple weeks ago. Yes, it's very intense, but I'm glad I did it. It's truly a unique experience and it really does feel like you're being hurdled through space.

Honestly, I think Space Mountain is more disorienting because you can't see where you're going. On Mission Space you always have a visual guide to help interpret the way you're moving. Hopefully that makes sense.

Some other folks in our party did the less intense version and still enjoyed it. My son did both and said it was nonetheless a very different experience between the two of them.

NB that on either the orange or green side, you'll experience the same level of potential claustrophobia, which might be worse for some than nausea.

NB that on either the orange or green side, you'll experience the same level of potential claustrophobia, which might be worse for some than nausea.

Agree with this. The claustrophobia coupled with the pressure and spinning brought on a panic attack. I should have done my research but it is something to keep in mind if one suffers from anxiety or heart issues.

I also rode it when it first opened, about 11 years ago, but have not been back on it since. I absolutely loved that ride and went on it about five times in a row. Is it true that even the orange side is slowed down from when the ride was first opened? What a shame to take the best part away from the best ride at WDW.

Yes it is true.

It's still intense but it's not AS intense as it was when it opened. I don't miss the extra intensity personally.

They had some bad publicity due to a couple of guests who ended up dying after riding this attraction (one a four-year-old boy, the other a 49-year-old woman). Both had serious preexisting medical conditions that would have killed them anyway and neither death was caused by the ride, but the publicity didn't help. WDW now had spent a bunch of money to open this state of the art attraction, and guests were afraid to ride it because they thought it might kill them. So now you have the green side which doesn't spin at all, and the less-intense but still intense orange side.

On orange, they warn you NOT to close your eyes during the ride, even if you start to feel disoriented/sick. Not watching the screen or turning your face away will cause your body to experience the ride as spinning, which will increase your likelihood of getting sick.

I rode it for the first time a couple weeks ago. Yes, it's very intense, but I'm glad I did it. It's truly a unique experience and it really does feel like you're being hurdled through space.

Honestly, I think Space Mountain is more disorienting because you can't see where you're going. On Mission Space you always have a visual guide to help interpret the way you're moving. Hopefully that makes sense.

Some other folks in our party did the less intense version and still enjoyed it. My son did both and said it was nonetheless a very different experience between the two of them.

Glad you mentioned this because I know I kept my eyes open and glued to the screen and I still felt that horrible spinning sensation. :sick: Maybe some people have more sensitivity to spinning than others. It's the same on a ship, if you feel seasick, keeping your eyes on a stationary object like the horizon helps that sick feeling go away, but of course you aren't spinning on a ship! That was told to me by a sailor on a transatlantic crossing, that and going in the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter