Mission Space - what to expect

GenGen22

DIS Veteran
So I have never been on Mission Space. I'm pretty much a chicken to some rides. I just want to know what to compare it to so, I know what to expect and see if I should ride it or not. I think seeing that they have an orange and green level where the orange might be scarier kind of has me not wanting to ride it. Is the orange really intense? Does this ride compare to star tours at DL? I have rode star tours at Disneyland and it's no big deal to me.

Orange is pretty intense. Green is more like star tours. Orange is like the launch of Rockin Roller Coaster x2.
That does sound intense. I have never been on rockin roller coaster as I'm too afraid to ride that. Maybe I will do green while my daughter does orange. I've rode expedition everest and I am ok with that or space mountain. I'm not a huge fan of either space or expedition but I can handle it.

I will say that Orange, while intense, is a different type of intense than say, RnR. The spinning and G-Force sensation are pretty incredible, but it is a simulator, so you don't necessarily have the same perception of intensity compared to the initial launch of RnR.

Motion sickness is definitely what I would tend to warn people about for M:S Orange.

Okay, here is the lowdown on Mission: SPACE - Orange Team.

You will board a capsule in a row of four with a console in front of you. This console will move to be incredibly close when they close it up. Some people find this to induce claustrophobia. Both Green and Orange have this exact setup. If that bothers you, you might reconsider right there. If that's no problem, there are video screens with 3-D video on them in front of everyone (individual screens) and several buttons and switches to play with. Only two of the buttons have an effect, at specific times during the ride. The narration will tell you when to push them, but don't worry, you don't have to. The Orange Team version will spin to create higher G-forces. It only accelerates to maximum three times during the ride, and for about 10 to 15 seconds each time. The rest of the time you will not feel extra G forces. You cannot tell that you are spinning (it's like one of those "Gravitron" or flying saucer rides at a carnival). The capsule will also tilt and shake a bit, but it's not that intense.

The Green Team version has a different story now with different graphics. You will still use the buttons to perform actions and the capsule will shake and tilt. There is no spinning or high G-forces on the Green Team version.

I would advise maybe trying Green Team first to get an idea of what to expect. The best tips for Orange are to keep your head facing forward at all times. Turning your head will mess up your equilibrium, even with your eyes closed. Keep your head facing forward and close your eyes if it gets to be too much. Concentrate on the air blowing on your face. There are actually air sickness bags in the compartment in front of you should you need one.

Good luck, Mars Team. You are on the clock!

I did the orange mission a few years ago for the first time. In general, spinny and virtual motion rides tend to give me a headache, but I wanted to make sure that I could say that I rode every Disney ride they offered at least once. We saved our ride to be the last ride of the day. That way, if I got motion sick, I could go back to the hotel to sleep it off. I remember seeing lots of signs on our way to board our "ship" that told you to keep your head back and look straight ahead. I followed the directions to the letter of the law the entire ride. I forget what role I played during the "mission", but I would just reach my arms out without deviating my eyes from looking forward and fumble around to push my button when I was supposed to.

The experience of launching was pretty cool but the rest of the ride was just okay for me. I didn't get my usual headache - my head just felt pressured for a bit after. I never felt like I was spinning while on the ride but kinda walked drunkish for about 10 min or so afterwards. I'm glad that I did it so that I could cross it off my list. I would probably only ride it again if I had to (i.e. kids were really wanting to ride it). It just wasn't my thing and didn't really hold my interest. I think I read that the button and actions that you are supposed to do don't actually really do anything because the "computer" will automatically do them for you. Maybe I'm wrong, but that was the "ehhh" part of the ride. Kinda felt like you were a toddler in one of those car-shaped shopping cars. You have a steering wheel so you can pretend you're driving, but it doesn't really do anything.

Unless you are dreadfully motion sick, I would say give the orange a try - especially since Star Tours didn't bother you. But make it the last thing you do that evening just in case :)

Last edited:
I think I read that the button and actions that you are supposed to do don't actually really do anything because the "computer" will automatically do them for you. Maybe I'm wrong, but that was the "ehhh" part of the ride. Kinda felt like you were a toddler in one of those car-shaped shopping cars. You have a steering wheel so you can pretend you're driving, but it doesn't really do anything.

No, if you don't hit your buttons your crew will be lost in space forever! Actually, if you don't hit the button within about 3 seconds the computer will assume control and perform the action. The purpose of the buttons is so that you have to lift your arms and to experience how heavy they feel with the increased G-forces. That's the whole reason for it, and you don't get that experience on Green. The other switches and such are just fun to play with. Some of them even make lights go on and off!

Okay, here is the lowdown on Mission: SPACE - Orange Team.

You will board a capsule in a row of four with a console in front of you. This console will move to be incredibly close when they close it up. Some people find this to induce claustrophobia. Both Green and Orange have this exact setup. If that bothers you, you might reconsider right there. If that's no problem, there are video screens with 3-D video on them in front of everyone (individual screens) and several buttons and switches to play with. Only two of the buttons have an effect, at specific times during the ride. The narration will tell you when to push them, but don't worry, you don't have to. The Orange Team version will spin to create higher G-forces. It only accelerates to maximum three times during the ride, and for about 10 to 15 seconds each time. The rest of the time you will not feel extra G forces. You cannot tell that you are spinning (it's like one of those "Gravitron" or flying saucer rides at a carnival). The capsule will also tilt and shake a bit, but it's not that intense.

The Green Team version has a different story now with different graphics. You will still use the buttons to perform actions and the capsule will shake and tilt. There is no spinning or high G-forces on the Green Team version.

I would advise maybe trying Green Team first to get an idea of what to expect. The best tips for Orange are to keep your head facing forward at all times. Turning your head will mess up your equilibrium, even with your eyes closed. Keep your head facing forward and close your eyes if it gets to be too much. Concentrate on the air blowing on your face. There are actually air sickness bags in the compartment in front of you should you need one.

Good luck, Mars Team. You are on the clock!
Ok so now I'm really glad I asked this question here. Ive rode the gravitron when I was a teen or early 20's and loved it. However, as I've gotten older (now in my 40's) I can't handle roller coasters that go upside down or any ride that make me head feel funny and the gravitron definitely would make my head feel wierd. I guess it's the green mission for me and DD22 can do the orange mission. Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it!

Ok so now I'm really glad I asked this question here. Ive rode the gravitron when I was a teen or early 20's and loved it. However, as I've gotten older (now in my 40's) I can't handle roller coasters that go upside down or any ride that make me head feel funny and the gravitron definitely would make my head feel wierd. I guess it's the green mission for me and DD22 can do the orange mission. Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it!

The difference in Mission: SPACE and a Gravtron is that the Gravitron is a persistent spin for the ride duration. Mission: SPACE only spins for short bursts during 3 parts of the story. What that does is creates that "heavy" feeling then when it goes away, combined with a tilt of the capsule, you feel lighter. So the transition from one to the other is the experience they are trying to convey.

The difference in Mission: SPACE and a Gravtron is that the Gravitron is a persistent spin for the ride duration. Mission: SPACE only spins for short bursts during 3 parts of the story. What that does is creates that "heavy" feeling then when it goes away, combined with a tilt of the capsule, you feel lighter. So the transition from one to the other is the experience they are trying to convey.
The heavy pulling is what i would want to avoid. I appreciate your detailed explanation of the ride.

I couldn't tell you, because even though a friend who used to be a CM told me it was her fave ride at WDW, I couldn't work up the courage to do it!

So I have never been on Mission Space. I'm pretty much a chicken to some rides. I just want to know what to compare it to so, I know what to expect and see if I should ride it or not. I think seeing that they have an orange and green level where the orange might be scarier kind of has me not wanting to ride it. Is the orange really intense? Does this ride compare to star tours at DL? I have rode star tours at Disneyland and it's no big deal to me.
This is way more intense than Star Tours- either side. It is a very claustrophobic experience for one thing- no difference between orange & green for that. Add the intense spinning on orange and it's a nightmare if you're sensitive. Did each one once for my son, and never, ever again.

But I have no problem with Star Tours.

The heavy pulling is what i would want to avoid. I appreciate your detailed explanation of the ride.

No problem. I just wanted to make sure you understood that it is somewhat different. It's obviously a ride I really like a lot so I'm a bit of an expert on it. I can't do Orange Team a lot because it hurts my back, but sometimes I'll go for it regardless.

I'll ride any rollercoaster made. Loops, corkscrews, helix, bunny hops, straight down drops...I'll ride it all without any issue and love it.

I don't ride mission space orange side. I've never done green side but I've done orange twice. Both times I got real dizzy and left not feeling too well. Didn't throw up or anything, just didn't feel good. Orange side, while it's not a coaster, it's more intense than any rollercoaster I've ever been on.

Also remember that it's technically no longer "Green" and "Orange", but "Earth" and "Mars" respectively. The Green mission was changed drastically and toned down quite a bit. It's no longer just a less intense version of orange.

Also remember that it's technically no longer "Green" and "Orange", but "Earth" and "Mars" respectively. The Green mission was changed drastically and toned down quite a bit. It's no longer just a less intense version of orange.
Isn't it that they just additionally made the green side a takeoff and return to earth, along with the no spinning? What else changed?

If my daughter can ride it (she was 6 last year) then anyone can. Yes it's "intense" for some but totally safe as in you can't fall out or anything. My 4 year old is tall enough for orange this year and she loved the green version last year. She has talked about riding the orange version and riding tower of terror again. she's a little daredevil! Mission space is one of our favorite rides so we never miss it.

I rode orange once. I won't spoil the details, but there's a bit at the end where it looks like it might start another sequence, but instead it pulls back and ends.

If it hadn't ended, I was going to grab a barf bag, because I was going to need it. It was that close. I was within five seconds of losing my breakfast.

I spent most of the next hour recovering by the play area at the exit, "watching" the kids while my wife and mother-in-law rode the green side.

I've ridden green many times now. It's pretty much harmless.

I may try orange again on this trip - we'll see how my weight is doing and how I'm feeling. And how much time I'm willing to spend recovering.

I'll ride any rollercoaster made. Loops, corkscrews, helix, bunny hops, straight down drops...I'll ride it all without any issue and love it.

I don't ride mission space orange side. I've never done green side but I've done orange twice. Both times I got real dizzy and left not feeling too well. Didn't throw up or anything, just didn't feel good. Orange side, while it's not a coaster, it's more intense than any rollercoaster I've ever been on.

I completely agree with this. I rode the orange side when I was in my 20s and could ride everything. I had the worst headache of my life after and regretted it. I am now in my 40s and I can ride any rollercoaster and rides like Star Tours without issue but I will not chance the green side for our trip in Jan, it's not worth risking the sickness after.

If my daughter can ride it (she was 6 last year) then anyone can. Yes it's "intense" for some but totally safe as in you can't fall out or anything. My 4 year old is tall enough for orange this year and she loved the green version last year. She has talked about riding the orange version and riding tower of terror again. she's a little daredevil! Mission space is one of our favorite rides so we never miss it.
I rode tower of terror one time and never again! Sounds like your daughter has no fear. I I ed to be like that before having kids now my head can't handle any upsidown rides with corkscrew or loops or if its too fast like the mummy at Universal Studios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter