Mission Space ?

Green is a lot of fun. Orange...it's been about 13 years since I last rode that side and I still don't feel ready to try it again. It messed me up for hours. No throwing up...but just a terribly weird feeling in my head and chest. No matter which side you get in line for, you will be given multiple opportunities to exit the line.

Last edited:
DH & I rode the orange side many years ago, I felt fine when we exited but DH felt "weird" for a few hours afterwards so we've never ventured back again.

We saw several green people exiting the orange side, and were unfortunate to witness several pukers, but thankfully not while actually on the ride.

However, this year our DD wants to try MS & I'm trying to convince her to do the green side (at least to see how she likes the ride) and if she insists, she's old enough to enter the line for the orange side if she really wants to try that version out. I'm pretty sure my DH won't join us for either option though.

After riding tot, RnR, space, splash, tt, and 7dmt first...green was kinda blah. I should have picked orange.

Mission Space is a ride where you get to experience what it is like to be a real astronaut going to Mars, except you don't have to spend countless years training and your meals don't come in a toothpaste tube or taste like rubber - unless you get the chicken nuggets at Electric Umbrella. All 4 people are given a vital position on the crew - such as Commander, Engineer, Goofy and Cinderella. But don't worry if you get one that you think is beyond your capability. All jobs have the same requirement - basically that you can press a button when it lights up and the commander tells you to push it. (You would not believe how many fail). You get the feeling that the computer engineers could have easily programmed the computer to "push" the buttons automatically, but were just having fun with the macho tourist "astronauts" and letting us feel like we had something important to do. (Kids – get a degree in Computer Science.)

Once inside, you immediately feel claustrophobic until the spinning starts and then you frantically look for an emergency stop button. There is an emergency stop button on Virtual Space Mountain at Disney Quest, but this capsule does not have one and mocks you by having hundreds of buttons, switches and knobs that do absolutely nothing when you press them. Remember, this is the only ride in all of Disney World that includes air sickness bags for each passenger (You are expected to bring your own for IASW).

I always get Orange and Green mixed up. Wouldn't you think Green was the spinning one since that is how you look when you exit? Nope - just the opposite. Anyway, even the Green, non spinning can sometimes upset my wife's stomach, so the best bet, if you really want to go to into space, is stick with space mountain - otherwise medical marijuana is now legal here in Florida.

I do not normally get sick on rides, but when we went on it (on the more intense side), I felt very sick and nauseous for most of the day after that. Which was unfortunate because it was our first ride of the day. I didn't puke though

Orange is Green with a free facelift. :-)

I did a write up for someone on this board about a year ago. I still think it's one of my best posts. I saved it. Re-pasted here.

If you really want to know what mission space is like, try this:

Empty your fridge and get in. Modern fridges you will need at least 2 or 3 people in there to get the same level of space to person ratio. Make sure the lights turn off when the door closes.
Have your spouse / friend lock it from the outside. Make sure they are aware NOT to let you out no matter how much you scream, beg or threaten them. It helps if they have a vendetta against you so don't give in easily.
Play star trek on your ipad inside the fridge. Or any space movie.
have them push the fridge down the stairs
Grab a carrot or something and try to steer the fridge as it falls down the stairs. Note this is about as effective as the steering is on the ride.

If you enjoyed the experience, you might just be able to handle mission space, but you won't need to as you more or less just rode it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter