Missouri to DLR - Take 2 - Oct 2013 - Updated: Trip Report Complete

Touring Plans

Saturday - So, we'll arrive at DLH early afternoon on a Saturday. We'll probably swim at the pool and explore Downtown Disney that afternoon/evening. Possibly visit Trader Sam's for afternoon drinks. My birthday is a few weeks earlier, so we may try the $30 birthday offer for Naples Ristorante e Pizzeria that night for dinner. Buddy will have to visit the Lego store a few times during the trip. All three kids want to make My Little Pony dolls at Build a Bear. Steph will be very interested in looking at the Disney themed LeSportsac and Dooney & Burke bags! (She purchased a couple of the Disney themed LeSportsac bags this past spring, and as a dude, I'm not really into bags, but those "It's a small world" themed purses are awesome!!)

Sunday - It's early entry for California Adventure, so we'll get up early and try the wide right technique for RSR. After that, who knows? We'll still have to figure things out. We'll generally take an early afternoon break from the parks each day, maybe swim or take a nap for an hour or two. Then spend the evenings back in the parks. We'll plan on seeing WOC at least once. Not sure if we'll try it on Sunday or wait until later in the week. We've been considering the WOC dining package for Carthay Circle, but haven't decided yet.

Monday - It's early entry for California Adventure again, so we'll probably start here in early morning, and then hop over to Disneyland for the rest of the day. Don't have plans for the day yet, will probably just eat counter service and play everything by ear (taking advantage of fast passes the best we can).

Tuesday - Sleep in and relax at the resort through the morning and early afternoon. Then head over to Mickey's Halloween Party. The party starts at 6pm, but apparently they let you in the gates around 3pm. So we'll be there at 3pm sharp. We've been to the Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom twice before, but it's been several years. The kids are super excited about this. We still need to figure out what costumes the kids will wear. And if, Stephanie and I will dress up too. (We didn't for the WDW parties.) Also, maybe we'll all dress up to a theme. Who knows? Research required :) Oh, and we were able to use Buddy's AP to get reduced ticket prices, so that was a nice perk too!!

Wednesday - Sleep in a little bit more than usual and explore the area outside of Disneyland. We'll rent a car for the day from Alamo in Downtown Disney. We'll probably head to Little Tokyo in LA for the morning and to have lunch. I've probably said it before, but Ninja Potato is really into Japanese stuff (food/manga/anime/music/etc) so this will be a real treat for her. Pickle's favorite food is miso soup and she loves sushi too. Buddy's not really into sushi, but he'll be OK. Not sure where we'll eat. It seems like we have the high quality sushi bar options, cheaper sushi options but with more fun like the one where the sushi travels on conveyor belts, traditional Japanese food options, and options where they specialize in noodles. It's going to be a tough call!

After lunch, we'll probably head to our next destination. Not sure if we'll head north to Griffith Park and the Hollywood area, or back south west to the beaches. I'm probably leaning towards heading down to Newport Beach. Walk out on the pier. Let the kids play in the sand for a while. Pickle has never seen the Pacific Ocean before, so that would be a fun treat to have her wade in the water (I know it will be too cold to swim.) Then maybe head over to the Balboa Fun Zone. Also, several years ago Stephanie and I ate at a little Mexican restaurant in Newport Beach called Great Mex. (found it on Yelp) and it was outstanding for a cheap hole in the wall restaurant. Would love to eat their again some day http://www.yelp.com/biz/great-mex-newport-beach

Wherever we spend the afternoon, we'll probably try and get back to the hotel around 7 or 8pm. To get a good nights rest for the next day.

Thursday - Early Entry is at Disneyland, so we'll be there for sure. Probably spend the whole day, or most of it here. We won't have a hard core plan, but will probably read up on the threads about strategies (like save Nemo submarines for later, start with Peter Pan, etc.) I don't think they have fireworks during the week at this time of the year, but I think they'll have them for the Halloween party, so we'll be covered there. I don't know if they have Fanstasmic going that day either, but we'd probably skip it even if we do. Stephanie and I liked it. It was indeed much better than the Disney World version, but we didn't like how crowded it was. We'll probably keep that as a low priority. Otherwise, by the time we head home, we'll want to have covered the major attractions like Space/Splash Mtn., Matterhorn, Indy (at least for the older kids), Haunted Mansion, Pirates, etc.

Friday - Early entry is for California Adventure. We'll probably head over for early entry, then go back to Disneyland for the rest of the day, at least until they kick everyone out for the Halloween party. At that point, we may head back to California Adventure to finish off the trip.

That's the gist of the trip so far.

We still need to figure out where to eat in Little Tokyo, where to spend Wednesday afternoon (if not Newport Beach), are we going to have any nice meals (Steakhouse 55, Napa Rose, etc.) We'll probably stick to counter service most of the other times, but don't have finalized "must do" list. At least Flo's V8 and Corn Dogs. And a couple dole whips! When to do WOC and do we want to get a dinner package, or fast passes? How much time to spend at the resort relaxing and swimming vs. riding rides in the parks. Also want to make sure we get some good downtown Disney experiences in there. Regardless, I think our plan gives us enough wiggle room to really have a great time!

I so can't wait! In the meantime, my foot is finally starting to feel better and I'm off the super strong pain meds (It's nice to not feel stupid/confused all the time). :hippie:

Congrats on your foot finally feeling better.

Your plans look great and I like your dining options. Ask Pickle to wave at the Pacific Ocean and tell her that there's a Dis-ser waving back at the other end of that pond! :rotfl:

And I love that you already have a WDW trip in the works to help deal with the post-holiday blues. :thumbsup2

Today marks 4 weeks since my foot surgery!!! It's still sore and I'm not allowed to put any weight on it. I got a copy of the x-ray about a week ago. Now, I know why my foot still hurts. There are four screws that are each about two inches long in it. (Much bigger than I imagined.) Yikes!!!

This has been one uncomfortable summer, but at least we have the Disneyland trip to look forward to... we're just about at the 2 month mark and I'm more than ready for a vacation :cool1:

I don't have much to report on the trip planning aspect, but Buddy did receive a post card in the mail the other day:

We had already purchased our tickets online, but it was still excited to get this in the mail!!!!

We are still mulling over costume ideas. Pickle has been on an Annette Funicello kick lately. Watching the "Pineapple Princess" and "Monkey's Uncle" videos on Youtube. And I've been watching old Mickey Mouse Club videos with her too. Right now, she wants to dress up as Annette. Not sure if she'll change her mind, but I hope not, because it would be cute to have a little Mousketeer running around with us :)

Glad to hear that the foot is coming along.

That's a great little flyer; and yes, mouseketeer would be a fantastic costume.

I found your trip report on another trip report so Im gonna get caught up shortly but im from Southeast MO(the bootheel) We were just in St.Louis seeing Bruno Mars last week!!! Can't wait to start reading your report!!

I found your trip report on another trip report so Im gonna get caught up shortly but im from Southeast MO(the bootheel) We were just in St.Louis seeing Bruno Mars last week!!! Can't wait to start reading your report!!

Cool! Glad to have you along for the trip report :)

I've never been to the Missouri boot heel before. But my grandparents are from the Cape Girardeau area, which isn't too far away, I guess. It sure is beautiful down in SE Missouri!!

The new Disney Outlet store opens up in St. Louis (Chesterfield Valley) next week. You'll have to come back soon for another visit :)

http://stores.disneystore.com/MO/CHESTERFIELD/884/

Also, have you ever made it to Marceline, MO? We went for the first time last year. It's about 2.5 to 3 hrs from St. Louis. It was a lot of fun and worth a trip. I've got a trip report from that day linked in my signature.

I think we might go to their Toonfest event again in September. The Walt Disney Family Museum had a booth last week at the D23 Expo centered around Walt's dreaming tree. People wrote their dreams on leaf shaped pieces of paper and attached them to a mock up of Walt's tree.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...227387.1073741843.123152947386&type=1&theater

They will be using all those leaves as mulch for a flower bed on the Walt Disney Family Farm in Marcelene, and they are going to use them at a ceremony during their Toonfest event. Sounds fun :)

Cool! Glad to have you along for the trip report :)

I've never been to the Missouri boot heel before. But my grandparents are from the Cape Girardeau area, which isn't too far away, I guess. It sure is beautiful down in SE Missouri!!

The new Disney Outlet store opens up in St. Louis (Chesterfield Valley) next week. You'll have to come back soon for another visit :)

http://stores.disneystore.com/MO/CHESTERFIELD/884/

Also, have you ever made it to Marceline, MO? We went for the first time last year. It's about 2.5 to 3 hrs from St. Louis. It was a lot of fun and worth a trip. I've got a trip report from that day linked in my signature.

I think we might go to their Toonfest event again in September. The Walt Disney Family Museum had a booth last week at the D23 Expo centered around Walt's dreaming tree. People wrote their dreams on leaf shaped pieces of paper and attached them to a mock up of Walt's tree.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...227387.1073741843.123152947386&type=1&theater

They will be using all those leaves as mulch for a flower bed on the Walt Disney Family Farm in Marcelene, and they are going to use them at a ceremony during their Toonfest event. Sounds fun :)

No I actually just recently found out about Walt's connection to Missouri!!....I SO wish you had not told me about the Disney store!!!! we will probably be making a Zoo trip in the next few weeks so we will def have to check that out!!!

Still have a way to go until the October trip and having a hard time being patient :cool1:

But, we pre-ordered the Disney Infinity video game from Amazon a while back and it finally arrived today.

The Amazon pre-order came with the starter set, a free extra figure (we picked Mater), and a free Power Disc pack. I added two more disc packs to the initial order. In the meantime, Amazon had some good deals on other items yesterday and this morning, so I ordered the Lone Ranger and Cars playsets and the Sidekicks figure pack. We had ordered a few items form the Disney store last week and I threw in a couple more Power Disc packs to that order to get it high enough for free shipping, those won't arrive for a few more days.

So far, it's awesome. We've only played for about 2 hours. Most of that in the Toy Box mode. (My kids are really into Minecraft, so they were naturally drawn to the toybox mode for this game.)

The world that they started has about 30 Spaceship Earth attractions from Epcot randomly placed in the world and a giant race track around it. We were driving Autopia cars all around. So cool!!!!!

This game is awesome and should help pass the time until our October trip :)

Congratulations on your Disney Infinity game. That really sounds fun and something your whole family can play. I think I may have to come over and check it out (lol). Hey, I saw the outlet mall opens the 22nd, but according to the Disney website you linked, it looks like the Disney store won't open until the 24th. Think we have a chance to be in the first 500 customers????

Your Disneyland rough itinerary sounds great and glad you have wiggle room to do things in Downtown Disney. Don't forget to use the annual pass for discounts at stores and food, both. I'm dreaming of those corn dogs......yum.

So glad you told Princess In Oz how awesome your parents are, especially your Mom...LOL

Later, Mom:flower3:

Thanks Mom :)

I'm guessing that the Disney Store opens on the 22nd with the others, but that they'll celebrate on the 24th. But I could see it being that the actually don't open until Saturday too. Doesn't matter to much for me as I'd rather not go on opening day with a broken foot :)

Congratulations on your Disney Infinity game. That really sounds fun and something your whole family can play. I think I may have to come over and check it out (lol). Hey, I saw the outlet mall opens the 22nd, but according to the Disney website you linked, it looks like the Disney store won't open until the 24th. Think we have a chance to be in the first 500 customers????

Your Disneyland rough itinerary sounds great and glad you have wiggle room to do things in Downtown Disney. Don't forget to use the annual pass for discounts at stores and food, both. I'm dreaming of those corn dogs......yum.

So glad you told Princess In Oz how awesome your parents are, especially your Mom...LOL

Later, Mom:flower3:

Moms are always awesome....especially on the Dis. ;)

Bob - My DS is 13 and he's outgrowing Disney. Would you recommend Disney Infinity for his age group?

BTW - Have you worked out a plan for your Wednesday afternoon if you're not heading to Newport Beach?

Not sure if this appeals to you; but there is a group that runs Gondola rides in Naples.

http://www.gondolagetawayinc.com/

Aside from Venice, where else are you gonna have an opportunity like this? :laughing:
After that, you could head to Seal Beach.

A fellow Dis-ser recommended that we try eating at Walt's Wharf at Seal Beach.

I think at 13, he'll probably still like the game! It's rated 10+, so he's probably right in the target range. (And probably why they didn't include any of the Fab 5 characters and princesses in the first release.) He'll mostly like it for the Toy Box aspect. The deal is that you play the regular games (Pirates of the Caribbean, Monsters, Incredibles + others) in order to gather and unlock stuff in the Toy Box mode. Toy box mode is like Minecraft where you can build ALL KINDS of cool stuff. They even have programming mechanics involved, where certain objects have triggers/events available for you to wire up to events/actions on other items. For example, you can set up a ground plate to shoot a cannon when a character walks over it, or fireworks to shoot off when a car goes past the finish line on a track piece. This is where the older kids will have lots of fun. Then, you can post your "creations" on the Disney servers and share them with your friends. They even have an iPad game in the works that allows you to work on your world on the iPad, and then sync it back up with your console via the "cloud". Really cool stuff!!!

We are still up in the air on the Wednesday activities. DW and I were starting to wonder if we should just sleep in late on that day, and then relax at the hotel and just take it easy most of the day. However, Pickle really wants to visit a beach, so we'll probably hit a beach (if not Newport Beach). DW and I did one of those beach bus tours in 2010 and we stopped at Huntington Beach, Newport/Balboa, and Laguna Beaches. Any of those would be great, but we liked Newport because of the Balboa Fun Zone and the ferry ride over to Balboa Island.

And Ninja Potato really wants to visit Little Tokyo, so we'll probably just stick to the original idea. Shopping in the morning, sushi for an early lunch, then we might try and squeeze in a quick stop at Disney's Soda Fountain in Hollywood for an ice cream treat before heading down to a beach.

To avoid traffic, we'll probably plan on heading back to Disneyland after dinner. So, not sure where we'll eat or what we'll do after the beach. (I can't imagine that we'll spend more than an hour or two on the beach since the water is so cold and you can't really swim.) Maybe we'll look into that restaurant that you mentioned :)

And all that being said, those gondola rides look awesome too!! Thanks for sharing that idea :thumbsup2

Thanks Bob. That does sound like right up DS' alley....you mentioned the key word. Minecraft.

:thumbsup2

I've put in my fair share of hours playing Minecraft with the kids, and personally, I think Infinity is going to be more fun for me. DS 10 has been playing Minecraft non-stop for over 2 years now (we got in during the Beta phase) and he thinks Minecraft is a bit better. That being said, he's still really excited about Infinity and I can see him playing it a lot over the next few months :)

We are still mulling over costume ideas. Pickle has been on an Annette Funicello kick lately. Watching the "Pineapple Princess" and "Monkey's Uncle" videos on Youtube. And I've been watching old Mickey Mouse Club videos with her too. Right now, she wants to dress up as Annette. Not sure if she'll change her mind, but I hope not, because it would be cute to have a little Mousketeer running around with us :)

I think that is going to be a popular costume this year! Three girls in our group alone are drssing up as Mousketeer Annette.

I've put in my fair share of hours playing Minecraft with the kids, and personally, I think Infinity is going to be more fun for me. DS 10 has been playing Minecraft non-stop for over 2 years now (we got in during the Beta phase) and he thinks Minecraft is a bit better. That being said, he's still really excited about Infinity and I can see him playing it a lot over the next few months :)

Glad to hear that you're enjoying Infinity! I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but DD 14 isn't quite sure she'd like it because "it would take time away from Minecraft" and all of her Minecraft RP elf friends in Elf World or whatever it's called. :rolleyes2 :joker:

A couple of side notes: DD 14's fave Miyazaki movie is Howl's Moving Castle too, and she even persuaded her piano teacher to let her play the theme song "Merry Go Round of Life" for her piano recital. It was awesome! :) Yesterday, DD 17 brought home one of Miyazaki's earlier shows from the library-- The Castle of Cagliostro. Haven't watched it yet, but just judging by the DVD case, it doesn't look quite as artistic as some of his later films that have been so enjoyable. Probably going to watch it tonight, so we'll see!

Not trying to hijack your PTR, but if you could send some pixie dust my way, I could really use some, too. I had knee surgery in May, went ahead and did DLR in July with DD 14 and survived all the walking without too much trouble. Now I'm supposed to leave for WDW on Sept. 2 for a conference/getaway with DH, but I had to see my doctor today for a painful foot problem that just developed yesterday out of the clear blue. She said to elevate, ice and stay off my feet. :sad2: Tomorrow I see a podiatrist for further evaluation and a possible cortisone shot. I'm kinda dreading what he's going to say. :worried: I know you can relate when I say that I've been looking forward to this trip with DH for a LONG time-- new resort, free dining, etc., so I could sure use a boat load of pixie dust in order to still make it happen!

Hope you're continuing to make good progress in your recovery!

Glad to hear that you're enjoying Infinity! I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but DD 14 isn't quite sure she'd like it because "it would take time away from Minecraft" and all of her Minecraft RP elf friends in Elf World or whatever it's called. :rolleyes2 :joker:

A couple of side notes: DD 14's fave Miyazaki movie is Howl's Moving Castle too, and she even persuaded her piano teacher to let her play the theme song "Merry Go Round of Life" for her piano recital. It was awesome! :) Yesterday, DD 17 brought home one of Miyazaki's earlier shows from the library-- The Castle of Cagliostro. Haven't watched it yet, but just judging by the DVD case, it doesn't look quite as artistic as some of his later films that have been so enjoyable. Probably going to watch it tonight, so we'll see!

Not trying to hijack your PTR, but if you could send some pixie dust my way, I could really use some, too. I had knee surgery in May, went ahead and did DLR in July with DD 14 and survived all the walking without too much trouble. Now I'm supposed to leave for WDW on Sept. 2 for a conference/getaway with DH, but I had to see my doctor today for a painful foot problem that just developed yesterday out of the clear blue. She said to elevate, ice and stay off my feet. :sad2: Tomorrow I see a podiatrist for further evaluation and a possible cortisone shot. I'm kinda dreading what he's going to say. :worried: I know you can relate when I say that I've been looking forward to this trip with DH for a LONG time-- new resort, free dining, etc., so I could sure use a boat load of pixie dust in order to still make it happen!

Hope you're continuing to make good progress in your recovery!

LOL. I hear you about about Minecraft. DD 13 and DS 10 are constantly on Minecraft servers. Either the ones where they build giant worlds in a community setting, or the ones where they play games like Sabotage. My mom and dad bought all their grand kids iPad Mini's for Christmas last year (my parents are normally very generous, but they were beyond generous this time!). They do Facetime video chat with their cousins while they all play Minecraft from different locations. Boy, times have changed since we were kids :rotfl2:

That's so cool about your DD playing the Merry Go Round of Life song for her piano recital! Sounds like our DD's could be good friends. My DD is currently obsessed with Legend of Zelda and plays those songs on our piano. She got an ocarina for Christmas a couple years ago and can play several of the songs on it quite well too :)

We've seen the Castle of Cagliostro before. The later Studio Ghibli movies are significantly better in both animation and story quality, but it's definitely worth seeing and I hope you have fun watching it!

Most importantly, we'll definitely send some pixie dust and positive vibes your way. A parents only trip to Disney is an incredibly special treat. Praying that the podiatrist's evaluation goes well, that the pain is a blip on the radar, and that your foot will be in good shape for your September trip!!!

:tink: pixiedust: :shamrock: pixiedust: :grouphug: pixiedust: :shamrock: pixiedust: :sunny: pixiedust::genie::littleangel::sunny::tink:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter