Mistake you will not repeat next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water Parks:

1. Bring our own or room towels, they rent towels at $2 each.

2. Us more suntan lotion and wear our t-shirts in the wave pool / lazy river. Turns out ours expired in 2009!! Sun burns hurt!!

Wearing new sneakers. Should seem obvious, right? Well, they were so comfy and cushioning in the store and walking around the neighborhood that I thought they'd be fine. WDW a couple of weeks later, cue enormous blister on my instep that needed attention all vacation, and even with padding I had a sore foot the entire trip. Never again! I now have a beat-up old pair of sneaks just for my WDW trips.

I made that mistake my first long trip to WDW. I bought walking shoes that fit fine in the store, but I didn't account for feet swelling. Within my first half day at WDW, I developed a very painful blister. By the next day, I was hobbling around as we tried finding good walking shoes at WDW. Finally located the tennis club at the Contemporary Report, where I laid out $80 for professional tennis shoes.

When I returned from vacation and took the shoes back, I tried the next half size up, which was perfect. Only 1/2 a size mattered in my feet staying happy that trip. :)

I will never ever ever ever get a pedi 2 days before we go ever again. Talk about blisters! Had to find a pair of flip flops and could only find crocs - which gave me blisters on TOP of my feet as well.

I don't know why you think my comment about a PP qualifying a "father" as an "adoptive father" is off topic or stirring the pot.

The PP used the term in their post, which by definition, means MY comment is ON topic. It addresses THEIR comment. And as far as stirring the pot, I meant the question seriously. Why even mention that the father was an adoptive father? Did it somehow change the course of events that he did not biologically father the child?

What if she mentioned the boy had a Black father? A Mexican father? A fat mother? A Catholic mother? A Muslim father? A Pentecostal mother? When you throw in an adjective before "father" or "mother", I would hope there is a reason for it.

So it is a legitimate question.

Then how about sending them a PM if you have so much concern? It's irrelevant to the topic of the thread and if they want to put "adoptive father" in their post then so be it. It's an attempt to start an unwarranted debate. And if you say it's not, then why do you care so much? That's the real question.

Now I am off topic, so I digress...

Then how about sending them a PM if you have so much concern? It's irrelevant to the topic of the thread and if they want to put "adoptive father" in their post then so be it. It's an attempt to start an unwarranted debate. And if you say it's not, then why do you care so much? That's the real question.

Now I am off topic, so I digress...
Unless you are a moderator, it's really none of your business. Simple as that.

The last time we went, it was for four days. We went from morning to night nonstop. Even despite there being a tropical storm, lol. We had a blast but it was exhausting!

This time, we'll still "go hard"...its just how we like to do Disney...but made our trip longer so that we can have more breaks...I think we'll all appreciate them!

Our first couple of trips this is what we did. The first time we were there 5 days. Quickly found out that wasn't enough--and killed ourselves trying to get there early and stay as late as we could stand. We were TIRED when we got home. We have learned that 1. WDW will be there when we go back 2. Things may change, but we will enjoy it in whatever form it is 3. Its more worth it for us to be relaxed and stop to smell the roses than it is to hurry through everything just to get to the next ride. So much to see along the way and we don't want to miss a thing!!

Our first couple of trips this is what we did. The first time we were there 5 days. Quickly found out that wasn't enough--and killed ourselves trying to get there early and stay as late as we could stand. We were TIRED when we got home. We have learned that 1. WDW will be there when we go back 2. Things may change, but we will enjoy it in whatever form it is 3. Its more worth it for us to be relaxed and stop to smell the roses than it is to hurry through everything just to get to the next ride. So much to see along the way and we don't want to miss a thing!!

This is such great advice. I am struggling with this concept.. I want to see EVERYTHING again (was there 2 yrs ago and saw a LOT), and make sure my mom really sees it all.. but at the same time I want to do a lot of little things I've never done (take more character pics, do pin trading, play sorcerers of the magic kingdom, get Dole Whips, look for Hidden Mickeys) It's a hard balance to strike.

This is such great advice. I am struggling with this concept.. I want to see EVERYTHING again (was there 2 yrs ago and saw a LOT), and make sure my mom really sees it all.. but at the same time I want to do a lot of little things I've never done (take more character pics, do pin trading, play sorcerers of the magic kingdom, get Dole Whips, look for Hidden Mickeys) It's a hard balance to strike.

A fairly painless way to make a trip less "intense" is to create a skip list. Thinking of the things you don't really need to do again can be very freeing. Even though your Mom hasn't been before, the things you are okay with skipping are probably the same things that are less likely to impress her.

Another option is to only schedule things for half the day. The other half is left open. Have a list of things you can do before going to a park, or in the late afternoon/evening when you get back. Knowing you don't have a dinner ADR or plans to play mini-golf, or shopping at DTD, will make it easier to rest if needed. You can still do all those things if you want, you just won't feel as compelled to do them if they aren't part of a plan.

That's the tough part for a lot of people. While I plan ADRS I am not one for planning which park, ride or show to see when. It's not a vacation to us if we have to stick to a schedule. I agree with the skip list but I would say wait and see what level of crowds are when you get there. If you can't get to do certain things don't bear yourself up about it. For example we enjoyed the country bears but have only seen it once and won't best ourselves up if we don't go again. But we could never skip the haunted mansion.
It's your vacation so relax and enjoy it and its ok to wing it millions of people who go every year do and still have a fantastic time.

A fairly painless way to make a trip less "intense" is to create a skip list. Thinking of the things you don't really need to do again can be very freeing. Even though your Mom hasn't been before, the things you are okay with skipping are probably the same things that are less likely to impress her.

Another option is to only schedule things for half the day. The other half is left open. Have a list of things you can do before going to a park, or in the late afternoon/evening when you get back. Knowing you don't have a dinner ADR or plans to play mini-golf, or shopping at DTD, will make it easier to rest if needed. You can still do all those things if you want, you just won't feel as compelled to do them if they aren't part of a plan.

EXCELLENT advice. A skip list sounds perfect.

My mistake was buying a new brand of socks before the trip. After a couple of days I had blisters all over my feet. I ended up buying some nice mickey mouse socks and wearing those. I never would have thought that changing socks would upset my feet so much, but it sure did!

Don't pack anything for your feet that isn't tried and true!

When we went to Disney World earlier this month we were super prepared and had the best time of our lives.

One of the things I wanted to do was try a Dole Whip the first day we were at MK. Didn't happen. Second time there... Didn't happen. Third time at MK... Didn't happen. On the last day (4th time at MK) I told my wife that trying a Dole Whip was a priority and it was going to happen.

Well I did get that Dole Whip. I had a taste, my two boys had a taste, my wife had a taste. That Dole Whip was devoured like we were cave people eating a turkey leg!!!! It was Awesome!!!

I wish we would have tried one on day 1!!!!! If we had I can guarantee that the snack credits would have been used up way before our last day at the parks. So next time we go and have the opportunity to try something new earlier in the week we will!

First thing on the agenda next December when we go back is hitting up the Dole Whip stand!

That made me laugh out loud.

At this very moment, 600 Seniors from my high school are on their way home from WDW. On Wednesday afternoon, I was talking with one who had never been there before. I told him that he NEEDED to have a Dole Whip, and just where to find it. Let's just say that in the year I taught him Algebra, I never had attention as rapt as I did during that conversation:lmao:

I'm hoping he enjoyed it!

My biggest mistake was the first time we went as a family. I followed bad advice (WHEN will I learn to listen to my gut???) and did laundry .... the morning we went to DHS the first time. It was the one and only time we'll EVER wait 2 hours for ANYTHING at WDW, but Toy Story Mania fastpasses were long gone by the time we got there at 12:30 pm.

My mistake was buying a new brand of socks before the trip. After a couple of days I had blisters all over my feet. I ended up buying some nice mickey mouse socks and wearing those. I never would have thought that changing socks would upset my feet so much, but it sure did!

Don't pack anything for your feet that isn't tried and true!

:thumbsup2 OMG! that has to be the best advice!!
I can't tell you how many times (not at WDW) I've purchased socks and thrown them away because they hurt my feet!
It has to do with the weave and fabric blend of the sock.

And I have learned not to wear new flip flops or sandals to WDW!! Don't care what they look like.... need to be broken in and comfortable!

I have seen several people list the extended family and friends as a mistake. I will definitely keep this in mind, because I was considering this type of trip. I think I will take everyone's advice and reconsider.

I think it really depends on the family members. We went with my sister and brother-in-law and had a great time. We have the type of relationship that allowed us to split up and meet back up later. They took my teenage son for fun while we dealt with my preschool daughter. We ate breakfast and dinner together and occasionally did some touring together. I think the problems happen when people assume that they need to be together 24/7 and leave one person responsible for the entire group's happiness. We discussed the dining options ahead of time, any issues we felt needed addressed, and our expectations of each other and hashed it out prior to arriving. If you can't do this with your family member(s) it probably isn't a good idea. We did try and vacation with another set of family member's we couldn't talk honestly with and it was a disaster.

Another option is to only schedule things for half the day. The other half is left open.

Another one is keep the "Must Dos" list very short (no more than five things a day), and, if they're things that develop a line, to do them early in the day. Having a very short list of "must dos" and a long one of "if it works out" takes the pressure off, somehow. You finish the day with a feeling of accomplishment because you did all your "must dos", but you also find time for a lot of the "if it works out" stuff. If you still find yourself rushing, make a rule that some of the "Must dos" are slow and easy. :p

I think the problems happen when people assume that they need to be together 24/7 and leave one person responsible for the entire group's happiness.

::yes::

Totally. Although it can also be when one or more people expect someone to make them happy, or resent the idea that they can't run the whole show. Also agree with thefigueroas that vacationing with someone you can't talk honestly with is courting disaster.

In my case, it's a potential disaster because if I get tired and hot and stressed, then blunt honesty is going to be all over the place, whether my companions are comfortable with it or not. :rolleyes1

Doing commando style, no more , ever again. We are definitely on a plan each day, but we take time to smell the roses ( literally in EPcot) and enjoy the details. We enjoy sit down restaurants and their ambiance and food.
Now i smile at the families who are dragging around miserable , complaining about lines and who generally look miserable trying to do it all.
Learned a lot last trip, WDW will now and forever be my relaxing happy place.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter