• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mistaken Foreign Language Emails

mgarbowski

DIS Veteran
I'm just wondering. I get a handful of misdirected emails every year written in Polish: job interview appointments or follow-up, volleyball league group emails; auto sales, financial advisors contacting a customer, etc. None of them appear to be spam or phishing in any way, just a mistyped email address.
Does this happen for other people, and all languages? Do people with Spanish surnames get emails from all over Latin America and Spain? What about people from countries that use a different alphabet?
Got another one this morning. I always write back to tell them it was misdirected and I don't speak Polish. The only ones who didn't apologize and stop were the volleyball people. Group emails are the worst; I had to mute it.

I used to get emails all the time that were destined for a lawyer in Seattle with my same first and last name.

Invites to celebrations for winning the big case or very personal info pertaining to a client he was representing.

I used to respond you had the wrong person but started just ignoring the emails and trashing them right off.

His email was first@firstlastlaw.com while mine is first@firstlast.com. It looks like he let his domain expire and the emails stopped coming. Maybe he is no longer practicing law?

This happens to me all the time. My email is my first name plus my last name initial @ gmail. I have an uncommon first name so you wouldnt think it would happen but it does. There are a few people who must have the same but maybe some numbers or something at the end and forgot to add those numbers when signing up for mailing lists or making accounts. I've received receipts from stores, once I was forwarded European train tickets(was able to reply back since it was an actual person sending the forward and not a pregenerated email. Recently an organization in South Africa must have posted a job listing with the wrong address because I got HUNDREDS of resumes. I tried to reply to some of them but after awhile I just deleted them.

It's happened to my Gmail account with someone who has the same email address as me. The only difference is that there is a dot between two of the words in theirs and mine is a single word. I get all kinds of emails meant for them and Gmail wasn't receptive to the issue so I don't know what else to do to fix it. I have no idea if they're getting emails meant for me.

I get emails in Chinese on my Gmail from time to time. They're usually in my Spam folder when I go to empty it. I have no idea why I get these emails.

Any email that shows up in some foreiqn language goes to the trash folder. Not my problem to figure out who/why it got sent to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter