• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mixology Class - Drinks?

DisneyPiPhi

DIS Veteran
We've just signed up for the Mixology class on our Disney Wonder cruise in a few weeks. Is there a typical slate of drinks you are taught to prepare, or does it vary based on the bartender?

Thanks!

Great question.
We did Mixology on the Fantasy last October, and we are signed up for one on the Wonder in January... we had an absolute blast on the first one. Never considered whether the drinks would be different next round.

Watching this thread!

We've just signed up for the Mixology class on our Disney Wonder cruise in a few weeks. Is there a typical slate of drinks you are taught to prepare, or does it vary based on the bartender?

Thanks!
It varies, depending on the bartender.

Also, could vary as to whether you get actual full-sized drinks or just small samples.

Just a heads up, Mixology on the Magic and Wonder are a bit different than on the Dream and Fantasy. You can't get behind the bar on the Magic and Wonder, so you end up just sitting at a table with all the glasses in front of you. We still had fun, but I was a little sad we didn't get behind the bar and get the whole mixology experience. We made a Mojito with Jameson and apple juice, a PB and Jelly shot, some type of raspberry sparkling wine drink, and I think some type of blue margarita. I know the bartender told us the Jameson Mojito was her own creation. Have fun, and eat first!! :)

We did Mixology on the Magic earlier this year. As a PP'er mentioned you will not be allowed behind the bar on the Magic/Wonder. We still had a great time, especially since the seats across from us remained empty and our bartender was happy to let us enjoy those drinks as well. We definitely napped well that afternoon...haha.

The drinks we made were: Blue Margarita, Peanut Butter and Jelly Shot, Mojito (with Jameson) and some sort of raspberry/mint bubbly wine drink.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 32
We've done it twice on the Magic and there were no two drinks the same between the two. I can't recall precisely what we had (after 5 nearly full sized drinks, I'm surprised I was able to find my cabin again) but I did pick up the recipes for the drinks the second time. I have it at home somewhere and still make the Elderbubble drink in the summer.

Because you can't get to it from the public area, but have to go through the crew area and that's not allowed. Or at least that what they stated in our mixology class on the Magic
Hmmm.....I'll have to look next time I'm onboard. I know behind the bar in Diversions is only accessible from Keys/Cadillac Lounge bar, but I think you can get to behind the bar in Keys/Cadillac directly. Can't recall about Promenade Lounge, though.

Because you can't get to it from the public area, but have to go through the crew area and that's not allowed. Or at least that what they stated in our mixology class on the Magic

Exactly what we were told as well.

Just a heads up, Mixology on the Magic and Wonder are a bit different than on the Dream and Fantasy. You can't get behind the bar on the Magic and Wonder, so you end up just sitting at a table with all the glasses in front of you. We still had fun, but I was a little sad we didn't get behind the bar and get the whole mixology experience. We made a Mojito with Jameson and apple juice, a PB and Jelly shot, some type of raspberry sparkling wine drink, and I think some type of blue margarita. I know the bartender told us the Jameson Mojito was her own creation. Have fun, and eat first!! :)
Interesting...we were on the Wonder March 2016 and we went behind the bar. There were only 4 of us in the mixology class and we were all cruising together. It wasn't set up as a private mixology...just the only ones who ended up signing up. We made 5 drinks, so we each go to go behind the bar and make one drink.

I wonder if this is a recent change for the Magic and Wonder.

Thanks for all the information! The drinks sound really interesting, and I'm not picky about going behind the bar. Also, I am not much of a drinker, so I will probably just have a couple sips of each. DH is willing to try and enjoy anything, though!

We've done mixology on both the Dream and Wonder. I'll just add to what others are saying....in our experience, the "potency" of the drinks is no joke. There will be extra drinks that people don't finish and potential for extra full-size drinks at the end. I am by no means a lightweight, and I was absolutely feeling no pain afterwards. To the point I ended up taking an un-planned 5 hour nap that evening. :rolleyes1

So I would take the previous advice and eat something beforehand.

Interesting...we were on the Wonder March 2016 and we went behind the bar. There were only 4 of us in the mixology class and we were all cruising together. It wasn't set up as a private mixology...just the only ones who ended up signing up. We made 5 drinks, so we each go to go behind the bar and make one drink.

I wonder if this is a recent change for the Magic and Wonder.
Which bar did you have your mixology in?

Following this, thanks for all the tips, we were interested in doing one. Do you book it on the DCL website or on the ship?

Following this, thanks for all the tips, we were interested in doing one. Do you book it on the DCL website or on the ship?
Not sure, but I believe Mixology is one of the activities that you can pre-book when your booking window opens. I tastings are, just not sure about Mixology. That said, I've also read that they may add additional times once onboard, if you can't get something pre-cruise.

I booked Mixology on my upcoming cruise when I booked my other activities on the DCL site.

I've been debating with myself over whether I'm going to keep it, though. On the one hand, it sounds like it could be fun, plus I'd like to learn about new drinks. On the other hand, I'm slightly concerned it'll be awkward as a solo...and after reading this thread, a little more concerned about whether it's going to knock me out for the afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter