Mixology Class - Tell Me More!

ChicosWife

The Caribbean DCL Life For Us!
We have been on 2 DCL cruises so far, with a 3rd coming forever away. :hourglass I have seen posts on here, talking about Mixology classes and from what I gathered, it sounds fun. What is it? When can you reserve it? Is there a cost?

:drinking1

We have been on 2 DCL cruises so far, with a 3rd coming forever away. :hourglass I have seen posts on here, talking about Mixology classes and from what I gathered, it sounds fun. What is it? When can you reserve it? Is there a cost?

:drinking1
You sign up for them (there's a cost - generally around $25 per person). Classes are usually 25 people.

Depending on the ship, the class is operated differently.

On the Dream class ships, you go to a designated bar (in our case it was Skyline). There the bartender will call 5 people at a time up (each makes enough drink mix to fill 5 glasses) and talks them through how to mix a drink. Once mixed the drinks are poured and everyone in the class gets a drink. Then he calls up 5 more people. In total, there are 5 different drinks. In my experience, the drinks were full sized. That's 5 full-sized drinks per person. skyline fantasy 2014 mixology 2822 P1040022 1500.jpg
skyline fantasy 2014 mixology 2831 P1040031 1500.jpg

On the Magic class ships, you go to the designated bar (Promenade Lounge or Cadillac/Keys) There the bartender mixes up the drink, describing how to mix it. The drinks are already poured and served to the attendees. Most reports say these drinks are mini sized.

Last edited:
Do you sign up for it when your booking window opens for excursion sign-ups or can it be done now?

They are really fun. I've done them on both of my Disney cruises. You can sign up when your window opens and pick the different type of alcohol classes and what type and day you want. The experience will be a little different depending on what ship you're on. The Classic ships you can't go behind the bar to make the drinks. That was my first experience on the Magic, they had us do some things at our seats, but most drinks were pre-made. On the Dream class ships (we were on the Dream) you get to go behind the bar and make the drink yourself. The way they did it was have a group of people come up to do one type of drink and then another group do another. They passed them around after. It's really fun, I enjoy both versions and plan do it again on the Fantasy. I have a more detailed report of them in my two cruise trip reports if you want to read (links are in my signature)

You sign up for them (there's a cost - generally around $25 per person). Classes are usually 25 people.
On our last cruise, our mixology class only had 2 couples. It would have been just my wife and I, but the bartender invited the other couple the nigh before. So we got and extra drink, and he used some of the premium liquor that he wouldn't normally use.

When we were on the Fantasy Jan 2017 my brother and sister-in-law went to the mixology class (my DH and I are more beer and winos). They really enjoyed it but they got really tipsy. Not just 5 people making a round of full size drinks, it was 5 waves of drinks being prepared for their class. So they had 5 different mixed drinks. Actually after the second wave they figured it out and only did a tasting on #3, #4, and #5. They got their money"s worth on that class!!!

When we were on the Fantasy Jan 2017 my brother and sister-in-law went to the mixology class (my DH and I are more beer and winos). They really enjoyed it but they got really tipsy. Not just 5 people making a round of full size drinks, it was 5 waves of drinks being prepared for their class. So they had 5 different mixed drinks. Actually after the second wave they figured it out and only did a tasting on #3, #4, and #5. They got their money"s worth on that class!!!
That's 5 people at a time mixing 5 (of the same) drink to be shared. Than 5 different people come up and each of them mixes 5 drinks (of a different type) to be shared. Then 5 more.... and on until everyone has gone up once and mixed up 5 drinks to be shared.

That's 5 people at a time mixing 5 (of the same) drink to be shared. Than 5 different people come up and each of them mixes 5 drinks (of a different type) to be shared. Then 5 more.... and on until everyone has gone up once and mixed up 5 drinks to be shared.

Nice!:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1

Exactly. 25 glasses are on the bar for mix #1 prepared by the first 5 students and passed out to the 25 people in the class. Second group of 5 go behind the bar, learn their mix, 25 glasses in front of them on the bar, fill 'em up and pass them out to the class. Dittos #3, #4, and #5.

I'm guessing the Fantasy class would be similar to the Dream?
Only problem is my husband doesn't really drink. He'd want to taste mine but that's it. so for me it would be a great deal and him not as much, so it averages out to average. LOL. We did this on the RC but he didn't sign up. They let him watch and there were so many drinks they were handing him full glasses anyway even though he tried to say no. Then I got sick. Who has a mixing class at 10a?

Only problem is my husband doesn't really drink. He'd want to taste mine but that's it. so for me it would be a great deal and him not as much, so it averages out to average. LOL. We did this on the RC but he didn't sign up. They let him watch and there were so many drinks they were handing him full glasses anyway even though he tried to say no. Then I got sick. Who has a mixing class at 10a?
I don't drink, either. But I did taste all the drinks. There were others in the group who were more than willing to take up my slack.

On DCL, they don't typically allow "auditing" for the class. That is, everyone must pay.

My understanding is these things are fairly social so if you wanted to go without him while he did something else he prefers (another activity; cove pool; spa etc.) you'd probably still have a blast. We are signed up for this on our next cruise and I am super excited! The good thing is the one on our cruise (Dream) is at a pretty reasonable time for cocktail hour: 4:30pm. So much better than the 10am one on RC you reference.

We did this last Saturday on the Dream. We signed up for Sunday when we boarded, but realized it would conflict with Solo and changed mid-day Saturday, they still had space for the class being held three hours later. It was in Skyline and they didn't let us go behind the bar, but had us mixing in front. Picture of our five drinks attached!

Attachments

• 20180526_171229.jpg
    20180526_171229.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 61
We signed up through our cruise group on social media and had a blast! DH and I both made drinks and they gave everyone a copy of the recipes to take home. We're definitely planning on doing it again on our 2019 cruise if we can get a spot! We did get tipsy though so make sure to eat before you go :)

On the Magic class ships, you go to the designated bar (Promenade Lounge or Cadillac/Keys) There the bartender mixes up the drink, describing how to mix it. The drinks are already poured and served to the attendees. Most reports say these drinks are mini sized.

We've done it twice on the Magic and the drinks were not in the least "mini-sized". They were essentially full or close to full pours. I know this because I drank all of them; both times DH recorded the verbal instructions because I was barely able to remember what we drank afterwards much less how to make them. The second time we got a printed instruction sheet for the drinks.

We signed up through our cruise group on social media and had a blast! DH and I both made drinks and they gave everyone a copy of the recipes to take home. We're definitely planning on doing it again on our 2019 cruise if we can get a spot! We did get tipsy though so make sure to eat before you go :)

I wish we had received copies of the recipes on ours!

We did this last Saturday on the Dream. We signed up for Sunday when we boarded, but realized it would conflict with Solo and changed mid-day Saturday, they still had space for the class being held three hours later. It was in Skyline and they didn't let us go behind the bar, but had us mixing in front. Picture of our five drinks attached!

Were you sitting with us?? We were on the Dream last weekend, and your picture looks like it is where we sat in Skyline - but I THINK we did it Sunday, not Saturday, but I can't remember for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter