MK Bus wheelchair/ECV at closing

Mirabell Rose

Mouseketeer
Went to bus line around regular closing time. Could have stayed for extended hours for Deluxe guests, but too exhausted. Went to cue, and wheelchair/ECV spot roped off. Attendant said had to go through regular Que??? Why? He said new policy at busy times at MK. Why?? There are only 2 slots on all busses I have ridden this week. This was first ‘busy time’ I rode. At least half the other ‘non busy’ times I have been left because the 2 slots were filled. Most of those times was one of the first at the stop, but we are at a resort where we are 2nd stop. One day it took 2 hours to get somewhere. I asked if I was 3rd in regular Que but had 2 wheelchairs before me was he going to have all people behind me wait as well for another bus? Of course not. Sorry for the rant, but had to try and maneuver through yet another cue, was exhausted, kept getting stuck on turns and don’t see reason at all for this. Does anyone understand this change?

If I remember correctly at MK we had to go through regular queue to a point at which time they let us into the wheelchair loading area during the mass crowd post firework exit time. This would have been in Feb 2 years ago. It was a huge line for Pop bus.

So last night they had all the seats filled and half the standing room when they got to a wheelchair. So they had to stop and get people and strollers moved, some people off, to load the chair. Then they let those people back on and half a dozen new people on. What a mess. Again, don’t understand. If they are trying first come first serve regardless of wheelchair or not, it will never be so for the wheelchairs as there are only 2 slots for them.

We had to wait in the regular queue at Epcot in September. Really did not see the big deal. When we got to the final turn, we went through the gate for the wheelchair loading area and got on the next bus. People behind us were the first party in line for the next bus so we would have been about the same spot. There were other wheelchair/ECV parties in the regular queue and it worked out just fine.

So last night they had all the seats filled and half the standing room when they got to a wheelchair. So they had to stop and get people and strollers moved, some people off, to load the chair. Then they let those people back on and half a dozen new people on. What a mess. Again, don’t understand. If they are trying first come first serve regardless of wheelchair or not, it will never be so for the wheelchairs as there are only 2 slots for them.

Yeah that didn’t happen when we have seen it. They had 2 busses loading at same time and put wheelchairs in first than loaded people. If no wheelchairs at the spot they put people on then next bus got any wheelchairs that got to the spot. Wheelchairs didn’t wait longer than people without because they pulled them out of line at an earlier point than the front of the line. They probably did wait longer than if they didn’t have to wait in line at all but when we had chairs it wasn’t an issue for us. It was pretty efficient. Now I did read about this system making it difficult with the new busses where you have to go backward up the ramp and it was limited space to get turned around. So maybe they will have to modify it for that system. Idk. Fortunately we usually don’t need wheelchairs or ECVs.

We had to wait in the regular queue at Epcot in September. Really did not see the big deal. When we got to the final turn, we went through the gate for the wheelchair loading area and got on the next bus. People behind us were the first party in line for the next bus so we would have been about the same spot. There were other wheelchair/ECV parties in the regular queue and it worked out just fine.
what if a bunch of the people behind you got on but you weren’t able to because they had filled your wheelchair slot?

Yeah that didn’t happen when we have seen it. They had 2 busses loading at same time and put wheelchairs in first than loaded people. If no wheelchairs at the spot they put people on then next bus got any wheelchairs that got to the spot. Wheelchairs didn’t wait longer than people without because they pulled them out of line at an earlier point than the front of the line. They probably did wait longer than if they didn’t have to wait in line at all but when we had chairs it wasn’t an issue for us. It was pretty efficient. Now I did read about this system making it difficult with the new busses where you have to go backward up the ramp and it was limited space to get turned around. So maybe they will have to modify it for that system. Idk. Fortunately we usually don’t need wheelchairs or ECVs.
We could not get out to go to spot until we were at almost the very front of the line. So then I had to try to load with the aisles packed full, people upset that they originally had a seat and then had to give it up, etc. And again, every person without a wheelchair/ECV has every spot available to them on the bus but the wheelchair users always have a limit of 2.

It's FCFS across the bus riders, not 2 queues (one for wheels, one for walkers). Loading problems occur when they don't pull wheels out of line early enough and preboard them.

If I, as a wheelchair user, got to the front of the line and was told to step aside and wait for the next bus and let walkers continue to board, I probably wouldn't move. The people behind me would also be waiting for the next bus.

From an access issue, it can also be a problem for attractions with a limited number of wheelchair accessible vehicles. It is discriminatory for wheels users to wait an excess amount of time.

It's FCFS across the bus riders, not 2 queues (one for wheels, one for walkers). Loading problems occur when they don't pull wheels out of line early enough and preboard them.

If I, as a wheelchair user, got to the front of the line and was told to step aside and wait for the next bus and let walkers continue to board, I probably wouldn't move. The people behind me would also be waiting for the next bus.

From an access issue, it can also be a problem for attractions with a limited number of wheelchair accessible vehicles. It is discriminatory for wheels users to wait an excess amount of time.
It can never be FCFS across riders when there are only 2 wheelchair slots. The 3rd chair will always, always, always have to wait for another bus, as we have many times this week. For the third bus once. If you are not wheelchair, you don’t have this restriction.

Sure, it can be. if you're next in line and there's no space for you, then there's no space for anyone else, either.

Be like Rosa Parks. Sit in front of the door and don't let anyone else on until another bus with available accessible seating arrives.

Sure, it can be. if you're next in line and there's no space for you, then there's no space for anyone else, either.

Be like Rosa Parks. Sit in front of the door and don't let anyone else on until another bus with available accessible seating arrives.
I couldn’t do that to other people. I understand that the busses only have 2 slots. I have smiled and patiently waited for another bus and even 2 when that happened. I don’t want others to have to do the same. They didn’t decide 2 slots. They didn’t say wait in regular que when MK closing. I don’t want to punish others. I wish to death I wouldn’t have to use a wheelchair. I would do a sit in at Disney decision maker’s office. This policy is bandstanding to appease some complainers that don’t use wheelchairs and the 2 slot limit that it’s not ‘fair’ if a wheelchair that comes after them gets on a bus and they don’t. I’d give anything to have that happen because then I’d be in good enough health to do so. Btw, I also think there should be a law that kids under 10 must be seated. When I was younger I always gave up a seat to kids and parents holding kids or older adults. Now it seems people just sit and stare at their phones even with Moms standing with little babies.

Ok, done unloading. Thanks for listening. I appreciate being able to hear from those who deal with this also, and my sincere respect to those of you who have had to deal with a wheelchair all your life. I am so mad I have to now, and yet you have always dealt with these problems.

Went to bus line around regular closing time. Could have stayed for extended hours for Deluxe guests, but too exhausted. Went to cue, and wheelchair/ECV spot roped off. Attendant said had to go through regular Que??? Why? He said new policy at busy times at MK. Why??
I don’t think the lines are really scooter friendly. And to make the turn to the load area is extra tight. That’s why there’s a separate lane for mobility devices or a cutaway point halfway through. (Except for MGM which doesn’t have scooter lanes at its bus stops (or even a roof over the scooter area in case of rain.)
There are only 2 slots on all busses I have ridden this week. This was first ‘busy time’ I rode. At least half the other ‘non busy’ times I have been left because the 2 slots were filled. Most of those times was one of the first at the stop, but we are at a resort where we are 2nd stop. One day it took 2 hours to get somewhere.
Been there. I think half of the buses are multi stops (ex. Poly/Grand Floridian) or go to hotels that are internal multi stops (ex. Old Key West, Saratoga).
I asked if I was 3rd in regular Que but had 2 wheelchairs before me was he going to have all people behind me wait as well for another bus? Of course not.
When I join a line that has 2 scooters in it, the driver will load those people on first then call for another bus to come in 5 minutes (to which everyone else in line will cheer).
Sorry for the rant, but had to try and maneuver through yet another cue, was exhausted, kept getting stuck on turns and don’t see reason at all for this. Does anyone understand this change?
Nope. Not at all. It sounds like a logistical nightmare for mobility device users.

I don’t think the lines are really scooter friendly. And to make the turn to the load area is extra tight. That’s why there’s a separate lane for mobility devices or a cutaway point halfway through. (Except for MGM which doesn’t have scooter lanes at its bus stops (or even a roof over the scooter area in case of rain.)

Been there. I think half of the buses are multi stops (ex. Poly/Grand Floridian) or go to hotels that are internal multi stops (ex. Old Key West, Saratoga).

When I join a line that has 2 scooters in it, the driver will load those people on first then call for another bus to come in 5 minutes (to which everyone else in line will cheer).

Nope. Not at all. It sounds like a logistical nightmare for mobility device users.
Thanks. The monorail and Skyliner makes sense to me with one line. Not so many turns and any car of those can take a wheelchair so FCFS can be done fairly.

what if a bunch of the people behind you got on but you weren’t able to because they had filled your wheelchair slot?

I guess I don't care. We have had to wait for the next bus many many many times at the resorts going to the parks. The one time at Boardwalk - I believe there were 7 wheelchairs waiting (there was a cast member there that morning who was assigning us all numbers). I know we had to wait for the second bus and then were the first party on that one. But, there were still 3 buses of guests needing wheelchair spots waiting behind us. Kind of crazy and the buses were not coming quickly despite the CM calling for more buses ASAP. We also had one time where the whole stop at CR was chaos and the people charged a bus when it finally came and the CM coordinator there had no control and then totally forgot about us, so we had to wait for yet another bus. Things happen and I guess we are mellow about our plans and will get places when we get there.

For a few years now we were sent to the regular line at MK and Epcot closing (like post-fireworks time). I've not had a problem with the queue as it's the same sort of switchbacks you might see in the parks. Usually it worked fine and we were pulled out as we got to the gate that opens once you make the last turn. One time the number of WC/ECV's overwhelmed the area and it got to be a mess as they couldn't pull people out due to space. Fortunately we were in front enough that it didn't happen to us but not sure how they handled that. It was an absolute cluster behind us.

Have to say I just usually either leave before fireworks or stay WAY after to avoid this if I have to take a bus. Otherwise bring your patience and certainly don't do it if you're already exhausted. I think it seems fine to do it this way if they have a CM around to help people.

Usually there are more people needing WC/ECV spots than there are spots so you're not going to the front of any line if you need assistance at this time of day...so it seems like it would be easier to keep the separate line for us but :upsidedow

I couldn’t do that to other people. I understand that
I don't especially want to, but it can help increase the number of complaints directed at Disney Transportation.

There is strength in numbers!

They may not listen to one wheels user. 45 people, including wheelchair users, may be a different matter.

There are only 2 slots on all busses I have ridden this week. This was first ‘busy time’ I rode. At least half the other ‘non busy’ times I have been left because the 2 slots were filled. Most of those times was one of the first at the stop, but we are at a resort where we are 2nd stop.
Later in the day guests at the first bus stop may find wheelchair spots filled with returnimg guests. Guests waiting at the last bus stop may find the wheelchair spots taken by guests heading to a theme park.

Went to bus line around regular closing time. Could have stayed for extended hours for Deluxe guests, but too exhausted. Went to cue, and wheelchair/ECV spot roped off. Attendant said had to go through regular Que??? Why? He said new policy at busy times at MK. Why?? There are only 2 slots on all busses I have ridden this week. This was first ‘busy time’ I rode. At least half the other ‘non busy’ times I have been left because the 2 slots were filled. Most of those times was one of the first at the stop, but we are at a resort where we are 2nd stop. One day it took 2 hours to get somewhere. I asked if I was 3rd in regular Que but had 2 wheelchairs before me was he going to have all people behind me wait as well for another bus? Of course not. Sorry for the rant, but had to try and maneuver through yet another cue, was exhausted, kept getting stuck on turns and don’t see reason at all for this. Does anyone understand this change?

We could not get out to go to spot until we were at almost the very front of the line. So then I had to try to load with the aisles packed full, people upset that they originally had a seat and then had to give it up, etc. And again, every person without a wheelchair/ECV has every spot available to them on the bus but the wheelchair users always have a limit of 2.
At closing, MK is a madhouse - hence the longer lines at the bus stops and the mainstream queue until the last turn. There's about a busload of people in the queue from the gate to the front of the line (if they aren't spread out), so that by the time you get to the gate, all the people that got in the queue before you have filled up that bus and you are let through the gate for the next bus. The 2-3 spots for scooters/wheelchairs would have been already loaded, or people who arrived before you would be getting on. It's not a perfect system, and we've had to wait for 2-3 buses sometimes, but there isn't much space for a lot of ECVs and the rest of the party at the curb at that time of night. Keeping more people in the queue is safer.

I've never been able to figure out the correct "etiquette" of getting in line with an ECV. When I was a WDW last week, I did see a few signs telling me to join the queue, but it was confusing, so I just went over to the rear door loading area. Fortunately nobody ever said I was wrong, and there was only once when I was leaving the park at closing time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter