• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MK Dining - Recent experiences?

jacknsally19

DIS Veteran
I have 2 days planned for MK at the end of August. In the extreme heat, a nice sit down meal is important. I am planning one day to have a meal at Skipper Canteen.... but I'd like to plan one more and I'm having a tough time deciding especially b/c there isn't typical character dining. One family member has a number of food allergies too. Trying to decide between Liberty Tree / Crystal Palace / Tonys. If there was character dining, I would choose Crystal Palace.... (maybe I just reserve it with the hopes it will be back by then?) Anyway - just wondering if you have recent experience with any of the aforementioned meals. Would love some recent feedback !

And while I appreciate the sit downs are better at monorail resorts, I'm not doing any extra travelling than necessary in August :)

Not that recent (November), but DH is allergic to peppers of all sorts and was thrilled with the freshly made and (he said) very flavorful food he got at LTT with, of course, his own family-style service.

Like you, we very much prefer CP with characters.

Tony's? I dunno there. It's getting better reviews lately than formerly. Okay, I suppose, if you want Disney-mimics-Olive-Garden.

Looking over the Disney allergy-friendly menus may help make the decision, although a family member with multiple allergies will likely only get a vague idea of what might be available. At least, that's a start to see what appeals that the chef may be able to modify suitably.

I don’t have any recent experience with sit-down in MK, but I will say that Trail’s End at Ft. Wilderness did a fantastic job a couple weeks ago with the food allergy we had in our party (banana).

They explained that there were bananas in the kitchen (okay for us), and every single item that came out was flagged as being allergy safe (even the salad). It made us all feel more comfortable, especially because one of the family-style desserts was banana-based.

I know you said you don’t want to travel, but if you decide to take the quick boat ride over to the Fort and the menu looks good to you, I can’t recommend Trail’s End enough.

I have family members with food allergies. My DH’s is dairy plus can’t have black pepper or any hot spice and my DM has to majorly limit salt and Disney is great with allergies. We can’t eat anywhere too exotic like Skippers or some of the WS restaurants and some of the ones at AK but most places including buffets like Boma are great at accommodating. In November it was our first time at LTT with the AYCTE platter. Previously when we had lunch there they had the a la carte menu. We decided to give this a chance and it was wonderful. We were all able to have the salad. I think they could have rolls and then for the entree and sides some of the meat or sauces they could not have they each were brought a plate tailored to them. I was brought a plate with the regular items and sides and a bowl of mac n’ cheese. We were offered more but were all too stuffed. They did not even have room for dessert so not sure what they would have been given. I was full but could not turn down the OGTC.

My vote would be LTT. Good comfort type food.
Haven't been to the other 2 in years. While I know newer reviews of Tonys have been better, too many memories of bad food there.

I’m going to say any restaurant can work with allergies, but you may not get the protein you wanted to eat. We have nightshade allergies. So no potatoes, tomatoes or peppers (including pepper spices like paprika). I always look over the menus before we go and can pick out which items are probably no goes.

We have eaten at Skippers but are limited to chicken or fish because those don’t come to them pre marinated/spiced. It helps the chef if you know what items may be problematic to your allergy.

So any restaurant you pick will have something a person with an allergy can eat, but it may not be as ‘magical’ and you may only have an item or two you can eat. So just pick where you want to eat.

What about taking the monorail and eating at one of the MK resorts? Steakhouse 71 at contemporary gets generally good reviews. I am a sucker for Kona Cafe, but I thought I read it was closing for a refurb around that time. Or Grand Floridian Cafe maybe? Personally, I have always liked LTT a lot - good comfort food and Ooey Gooey Toffee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter