MK fun with 11-year old?

Surgie2

DIS Veteran
I'll have a few hours on a Monday morning in MK next month with my 11 year-old granddaughter while her parents and younger siblings go to BBB and CRT (which she has done before and is not interested in this trip). I'd like to make it a fun morning together. She does not like coasters or wild rides of any kind. We will have Genie+/LL. She really wants to go to Carousel of Progress so we'll do that and get some kind of fun treat. Anything else that might be fun to take advantage of being just the two of us?

If there are appts available is there any chance she (or you) might want a haircut at Harmony Barber Shop? https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/shops/magic-kingdom/harmony-barber-shop/

There are only three barber chairs hair (they don’t just cut mens hair) and it is such a unique and intimate experience- quite different from BBB (but they will put “pixie dust” on at the end if you like- though they do ask first in case you don’t!)

Also what about taking a ride on the Main Street vehicles?
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/main-street-vehicles/

We have never seen a queue for this and when we have done it it made us feel so special, like VIPs! I don’t know if people don’t realize it’s available, that it doesn’t cost extra, or don’t want to “waste” time with it or what. Our kids even asked to do it again after got up to Cinderella Castle so we waited for the next people to go and then got a ride back to the front of the park again.

People mover, Tomorrowland speedway, Dumbo, Little Mermaid ride, Buzz Lightyear- Basically that Tomorrowland/ New Fantasyland area. You could get the train and do a loop too. Big Top Circus have covered apples and various other treats

I will definitely look into the vehicles! I have been to MK several times and have never ridden those! Barber shop looks fun but no appts on our date.

There could be cancelations for Harmony Barber Shop - we have canceled and changed times/dates before and earlier this year we managed to get two appts within five minutes of each other on the same morning just a week or so before the trip!

If you get lucky, you might catch a ride on the trolley with the Dans singing Christmas carols!! I think we did this right at rope drop. My daughter always insisted we stop and listen if the Dans passed us, so this was extra special for us!!IMG_2631.jpeg

My best suggestion is to let her guide you in what to do. Just tell her you’ll do whatever she wants and just go with her flow. I’ve been this way with both my girls at several ages in different places and I love watching them enjoy themselves at their pace. When my girls ask me for suggestions on what to do they almost always agree because they asked me instead of me telling them what we‘re doing. It’s gives the trip a really good vibe (at least it does for me/us).

Our last WDW trip in June I told my DD20 (then 19) that she could plan out the entire itinerary and she said no, because it stressed her out - LOL! So I said we’ll plan it together, and so we did. Once we were in the parks, I just followed her lead - it was so joyful for me to do this.

Whatever you decide - have so much fun and enjoy your time with your DGD :smickey:

Oh….I’ll add…..
Does you DGD have a cell phone?
If she does you can text her things about rides, snacks, parades and etc and you’ll get an idea by her replies to you if it’s a 👍🏻 or 👎🏻

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter