I'm reading conflicting information about the sit down version of the party. Are the tables currently assigned or first come, first serve? If it's first come, first serve, how early should we arrive? We're a party of 7.

No tables at this one. This is the Plaza Garden viewing thread.

I thought this thread was for both parties. Could you point me in the direction of a thread that discusses the dessert party with tables?

I'm reading conflicting information about the sit down version of the party. Are the tables currently assigned or first come, first serve? If it's first come, first serve, how early should we arrive? We're a party of 7.

AFAIK, they assign tables as your arrive, not in advance like it used to be a long time ago. Big caveat that the last time I did the seated party was April of last year. There were continued reports of the first come/first seated arrangement as recently as a few months ago, but I don’t think I’ve seen any really recent first person experiences. Sometimes they tweak operations with these things, so you never know.

Sorry that’s not a very good answer!

I thought this thread was for both parties. Could you point me in the direction of a thread that discusses the dessert party with tables?

The thread was meant to be about the Plaza Garden party at heart, but there are so many similarities between the two and “which one should I do” questions that you inevitably have chatter about both. No worries about posting here!

The seated party has a very small head count relative to the Plaza Garden version, so smaller audience of DISers. If you’d like the most up to to date info, you might want to start a thread asking for any recent feedback/experiences specifically regarding the seated version.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your thoughts! Not sure what we should do! lol We're booked at the seated dessert party. Older family members cannot stand for long, so seating was essential. I'd really like to try for a table with a nice view, but dont know if big tables of 7 are possible in a good location? Also, I'm personally willing to arrive early to get in line for a good table, but the rest of the family won't (again, the older folks can't stand in line for long). I wonder if we would all need to be there to check-in, or could just a couple of us do it? I wish tables were still assigned like before. It was so much more relaxing. :)

Thanks for your thoughts! Not sure what we should do! lol We're booked at the seated dessert party. Older family members cannot stand for long, so seating was essential. I'd really like to try for a table with a nice view, but dont know if big tables of 7 are possible in a good location? Also, I'm personally willing to arrive early to get in line for a good table, but the rest of the family won't (again, the older folks can't stand in line for long). I wonder if we would all need to be there to check-in, or could just a couple of us do it? I wish tables were still assigned like before. It was so much more relaxing. :)

Large tables are certainly possible, ‘good location’ I guess is subjective. :-)

You have some unique circumstances with your party size, physical abilities of the group, etc. If you don’t get any comments here, I think a seperate thread with your questions / concerns might get some more eyeballs on it than you will in this thread and maybe some relevant experiences to help you decide how early would make sense to get in line.

Reactions: CJK
We were there on NYE. The tables were assigned as you go in. We were a party of 6 and were seated at a table for 6. However, the tables for the bigger parties were not right against the rail. I wished I would have booked a table for two and a table for four. We would have had to sit at two different tables, but we could have been closer to the railing. I asked if my party could be split up and sit at two different tables and they would not allow me to do that. When we were seated, there were still several tables still available along the railing for two and four people but we were not allowed to split our party up. I’m not sure I will ever do this dessert party again, but if I do, I will try to make two different reservations so I can sit at the tables closer to the railing. The NYE fireworks are different than HEA (not as many projections) so I liked the terrace view for NYE. If I was going to watch HEA, I would prefer to book the garden view. It’s a much better location to view all the projections on the castle.

We were there on NYE. The tables were assigned as you go in. We were a party of 6 and were seated at a table for 6. However, the tables for the bigger parties were not right against the rail. I wished I would have booked a table for two and a table for four. We would have had to sit at two different tables, but we could have been closer to the railing. I asked if my party could be split up and sit at two different tables and they would not allow me to do that. When we were seated, there were still several tables still available along the railing for two and four people but we were not allowed to split our party up. I’m not sure I will ever do this dessert party again, but if I do, I will try to make two different reservations so I can sit at the tables closer to the railing. The NYE fireworks are different than HEA (not as many projections) so I liked the terrace view for NYE. If I was going to watch HEA, I would prefer to book the garden view. It’s a much better location to view all the projections on the castle.
Thank you for your feedback. Sounds like the big tables are at a disadvantage. :( The seating is a deal breaker for us, or we won't do it at all unfortunately. How was your view from your table? When we did the party 6yrs ago with a group of 9, we had a terrific view. I guess we'll miss some of the projections from the big table, but how was the fireworks view? If we don't do the party, we will skip the fireworks altogether due to the standing issue.

Thank you for your feedback. Sounds like the big tables are at a disadvantage. :( The seating is a deal breaker for us, or we won't do it at all unfortunately. How was your view from your table? When we did the party 6yrs ago with a group of 9, we had a terrific view. I guess we'll miss some of the projections from the big table, but how was the fireworks view? If we don't do the party, we will skip the fireworks altogether due to the standing issue.
Our view wasn’t bad. I still felt like we could see all the fireworks. I just would have liked to have been at one of the tables right on the railing since we got in line about an hour before the party and were about the fifth family in line. It was just frustrating that we weren’t allowed to break up our group to sit at the tables on the railing when there were plenty of tables still open when we were seated. I have actually done both of the dessert parties and the one on the terrace with seating is much more relaxed. The garden view will give you a better view of the projections but the terrace where there are seats is very nice and relaxing. If you don’t mind missing some of the projections, I would still go to the party on the terrace. I definitely wouldn’t skip the fireworks just because the tables for large parties are a little further back. You will still have a very good view of the fireworks. Hope this helps!

Our view wasn’t bad. I still felt like we could see all the fireworks. I just would have liked to have been at one of the tables right on the railing since we got in line about an hour before the party and were about the fifth family in line. It was just frustrating that we weren’t allowed to break up our group to sit at the tables on the railing when there were plenty of tables still open when we were seated. I have actually done both of the dessert parties and the one on the terrace with seating is much more relaxed. The garden view will give you a better view of the projections but the terrace where there are seats is very nice and relaxing. If you don’t mind missing some of the projections, I would still go to the party on the terrace. I definitely wouldn’t skip the fireworks just because the tables for large parties are a little further back. You will still have a very good view of the fireworks. Hope this helps!
Thank you! Do you think we need to arrive 1hr in advance to get a good table? Could just a couple of us go, or does the whole party have to be there to check-in?

Thank you! Do you think we need to arrive 1hr in advance to get a good table? Could just a couple of us go, or does the whole party have to be there to check-in?
I don’t know how early you need to get in line. We were tired and noticed that a line was starting to form so we decided we better get in line. It may be different on different days. My DH and I are the only ones who stood in line. The kids were still on rides. But, we did have everyone together before we actually checked in. They arrived about 5 minuets before it was time to check in. Maybe someone else can chime in and report if everyone has to be there to check in.

I don’t know how early you need to get in line. We were tired and noticed that a line was starting to form so we decided we better get in line. It may be different on different days. My DH and I are the only ones who stood in line. The kids were still on rides. But, we did have everyone together before we actually checked in. They arrived about 5 minuets before it was time to check in. Maybe someone else can chime in and report if everyone has to be there to check in.
Thanks! Sorry for so many questions! How far before the party began, did you get checked in?

Thanks! Sorry for so many questions! How far before the party began, did you get checked in?
Hmm...I think they let us in early but I don’t remember how early. I was there on NYE so I don’t know if they let us in early just because it was NYE. I completely understand asking all the questions. I’m just sorry I don’t remember how early they let us in.

When you say that older family members can't stand for long, what would be a long time for them? If you do the Plaza view party, you still get to sit at tables for as long as you want to enjoy the desserts. Our reservation said to show up at 7:45 (fireworks were at 9). We wandered over around 7:15, and a small line was forming, so we got in it, since we didn't have anything else to do, and the CMs let people in a little early. Once that early line dissipated, there really wasn't a line. Most people didn't show up til after 7:45 and they were promptly shown in with little to no wait, and there were plenty of open tables for a while. I think a fair number of people arrive later in the time window, since they mostly want to get into the reserved viewing area and don't care as much about spending a lot of time with the desserts. There were tables on the plaza view party level that would have easily accommodated 7 people, and if you get there fairly early, I think you would have your choice. They didn't seem to be assigned - we asked to sit by the rail and were allowed to pick our seat. We didn't see any point in going to the viewing area much in advance of the fireworks, since there's really no place to sit except the ground or to lean against a rail, so we didn't go over until about five minutes before. There was still plenty of room. The fireworks last about 15 minutes. My whole point is that, if you do the Plaza view party and don't go to the viewing area til just before the fireworks, the standing time would be limited to about 20 minutes. That may still be too long for some of your party, but I just wanted to note that doing the Plaza view doesn't mean that anyone has to stand for a very long period of time and that standing can be minimized.

Okay, I've been following along with this entire thread - you probably know that @GADisneyDad14 - but now I don't remember all of the particulars of everything I read. I know this was discussed awhile back, but what was the general consensus of doing the dessert party during MNSSHP? We did the dessert party in June for HEA and loved it. We aren't doing it this June because we only have one park day (at MK) so we will use that time to continue with rides and we will watch the next night from Top of the World lounge as we are new DVC owners.

Anyway, we will be doing a very short trip in Oct (10/3-10/6). We will do a party and then, most likely, another park day at one of the other parks. Therefore we will be getting into MK at 4. We have my two boys (4 & almost 7 at the time), my DH who doesn't like crowds but I still managed to convince to become a HUGE Disney fan on his first trip in 35 years this past June, and myself.

I am the only one who has ever attended a party and its been years. I know the parade is a MUST DO! And everyone says the fireworks as well. But, I'm trying to decide do we want to give up prime touring time for both of those (thinking parade would be easier if we chose one because we can just grab a spot in Frontierland or Liberty Square), and if we do, do we want to spend the money for the secured viewing.

Was the consensus that it was or wasn't necessary for party nights? And if we do it, will that interfere with parade viewing? Is the fireworks show worth taking MK touring time away?

For more info purposes, we plan to attend on Thursday 10/4 if the party is offered that night and, hopefully, we will be back next year as well because our district's calendars are out for the next two school years and they both include this new semi-fall break (though I have tossed around the idea of 2019 being adult's only). Oh and we are trying to do this Oct trip as cheaply as possible, relatively speaking, of course.

Thanks, in advance, for reading all that (I tend to be wordy...lol) and for any advice/opinions.

DW and I did this on 1/20. We were thankful for the tips I learned here. We headed over to the garden early and found a great spot on the back rail. The only thing that detracted from this location was listening to the CMs arguing with the guests who tried to plant themselves on the benches behind the garden for HEA. OUAT was before HEA, and I think being able to see both shows from the reserved location made it truly worth the money. I had not seen OUAT before, and it is a good show. The desserts were okay, didn't really add to the value for us. I would have preferred a cart with mickey bars, soda and popcorn in the garden plaza so we could get treats while waiting in the garden. It was worth it for the great view of both shows, and not having to deal with the crowds. I think the value definitely increases when OUAT is before HEA.

I was originally going to do this on the same night as DAH, but am glad that we switched. Getting out of the hub to go anywhere was impossible for sometime. Almost a complete standstill.

DW and I did this on 1/20. We were thankful for the tips I learned here. We headed over to the garden early and found a great spot on the back rail. The only thing that detracted from this location was listening to the CMs arguing with the guests who tried to plant themselves on the benches behind the garden for HEA. OUAT was before HEA, and I think being able to see both shows from the reserved location made it truly worth the money. I had not seen OUAT before, and it is a good show. The desserts were okay, didn't really add to the value for us. I would have preferred a cart with mickey bars, soda and popcorn in the garden plaza so we could get treats while waiting in the garden. It was worth it for the great view of both shows, and not having to deal with the crowds. I think the value definitely increases when OUAT is before HEA.

I was originally going to do this on the same night as DAH, but am glad that we switched. Getting out of the hub to go anywhere was impossible for sometime. Almost a complete standstill
Thanks for the report. Glad you had a wonderful time. I agree with you that OUAT before HEA is a much better arrangement.

Popcorn sounds like a wonderful idea but I doubt Disney would add it or any food right at the Plaza, particularly popcorn. Food + people =mess. I am thinking of the potential mess popcorn could leave after people step on and mash dropped kernels into the hub grass . But if it weren't for the fact that I'll get popcorn during DAH, that is an excellent idea and I would bring my own. While trying not to drop any kernels.

Yikes! I am one of the unfortunate souls who is doing both the Dessert Party and DAH. I am pretty good with squeezing through crowds but I always end up losing my friend who is less aggressive in making a path for himself.

I had originally wanted to start DAH in Adventureland but it looks like getting all the way over there right after the Dessert Party would be near impossible. With the Dessert Party being closer to Tomorrowland, I think we'll start there. Plus, I understand there is some sort of back way between Tomorrowland Terrace and Tomorrowland. We'll ride SM while the crowd dissipates some.

Last edited:
I have not followed the thread in a while (no trips planned since 2 summers ago) but what seems to be the pattern for opening the event booking? We will be there late July >early August.

Also, have not been since they split the viewing. I'm leaning toward the Terrace viewing b/c i have small kids (so if everyone stands then they get a great view of butts...i can do that for free on Main St) and that is what we are use to. Have they changed that location for viewing any? is it still the best view? we would normally stand at the rail for the show last time. thanks!!

Okay, I've been following along with this entire thread - you probably know that @GADisneyDad14 - but now I don't remember all of the particulars of everything I read. I know this was discussed awhile back, but what was the general consensus of doing the dessert party during MNSSHP? We did the dessert party in June for HEA and loved it. We aren't doing it this June because we only have one park day (at MK) so we will use that time to continue with rides and we will watch the next night from Top of the World lounge as we are new DVC owners.

Anyway, we will be doing a very short trip in Oct (10/3-10/6). We will do a party and then, most likely, another park day at one of the other parks. Therefore we will be getting into MK at 4. We have my two boys (4 & almost 7 at the time), my DH who doesn't like crowds but I still managed to convince to become a HUGE Disney fan on his first trip in 35 years this past June, and myself.

I am the only one who has ever attended a party and its been years. I know the parade is a MUST DO! And everyone says the fireworks as well. But, I'm trying to decide do we want to give up prime touring time for both of those (thinking parade would be easier if we chose one because we can just grab a spot in Frontierland or Liberty Square), and if we do, do we want to spend the money for the secured viewing.

Was the consensus that it was or wasn't necessary for party nights? And if we do it, will that interfere with parade viewing? Is the fireworks show worth taking MK touring time away?

For more info purposes, we plan to attend on Thursday 10/4 if the party is offered that night and, hopefully, we will be back next year as well because our district's calendars are out for the next two school years and they both include this new semi-fall break (though I have tossed around the idea of 2019 being adult's only). Oh and we are trying to do this Oct trip as cheaply as possible, relatively speaking, of course.

Thanks, in advance, for reading all that (I tend to be wordy...lol) and for any advice/opinions.

This is where I confess that I just read the whole thread (not quite in one sitting, I had a few things to get done today!), so my recall from a few pages back is that most people did not find it worth it on Party nights, because the overall crowds were so low those nights compared to a regular park night. What people did recommend was if you aren't going to a party but are hoping to see HEA during a party week, to book the dessert party because the crowds in the Hub will be intense those nights.

I've never been to WDW during any of the party seasons, so this is just my summary of the thread and not my experience either way! :)

I have not followed the thread in a while (no trips planned since 2 summers ago) but what seems to be the pattern for opening the event booking? We will be there late July >early August.

Also, have not been since they split the viewing. I'm leaning toward the Terrace viewing b/c i have small kids (so if everyone stands then they get a great view of butts...i can do that for free on Main St) and that is what we are use to. Have they changed that location for viewing any? is it still the best view? we would normally stand at the rail for the show last time. thanks!!
I can't speak from personal experience yet - have booked the Plaza view for March - but the general consensus is that the Plaza view is better because it's more straight on. Most people seem to have had enough room to move around, but that can't be guaranteed. That's not to say that the Terrace view option is bad - just that it's off-center a bit. But it includes chairs, so it's a toss up!

For us, this was open for booking at 180 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter