MK on Princess Half Marathon day (2/24) -- Morning Traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carimar

Mouseketeer
I have an PPO ADR at BOG the morning of the Princess Half and not staying on the monorail. Anyone have experience with the traffic and Disney transportation on the morning of the PHM since they close lanes as part of the route from EP to MK? Wondering if I should change this day to a different park or plan on coming in later that day to play it safe.

We went to mk on the princess half day in 2011. We stayed at POR. The bus to mk was terrible. We didn't wait long for it to come, but it took forever to get there. We got there in time for rope drop, but got there much later than we planned. We were standing way in the back for the welcome show (old version by the train station).

I don't remember actual times though. Must have been a 9:00 opening.

I can't speak to the traffic getting there, but I can tell you that the walkway from Contemporary to MK is closed in the morning because of the race. I'm not sure what time they reopen it, but I know it's closed in order to get to MK for a PPO ADR. So for folks who uber to the Contemporary and walk over to MK, that plan won't work on Princess Half Marathon Sunday.

Also, there will be still runners coming through MK in the 8:00 hour, so if a picture in front of the castle is part of your PPO plans, that won't happen that morning. And plan for it to take a few minutes longer than normal to make it to BOG since you'll have to be routed around the runners on your way to BOG.

I have an PPO ADR at BOG the morning of the Princess Half and not staying on the monorail. Anyone have experience with the traffic and Disney transportation on the morning of the PHM since they close lanes as part of the route from EP to MK? Wondering if I should change this day to a different park or plan on coming in later that day to play it safe.
If using Disney transportation plan ahead and leave extra early. You are going to want to build in plenty of time to get to the park. Usually due to the course they will drop you off at the TTC that early because of the course route. You then take the ferry or monorail to the park. Its definitely doable but plan ahead.

I 'tried' to get to MK PPO this year on the Sunday of the Princess Half. :sad2: It became a fun adventure.

I knew I would need extra time so I left early - but it still took longer than expected.

The Minnie Van picked me up from BWI at 7:08am. The driver knew World Drive would be closed/clogged, so we took the 'back' way around past Golden Oak, Ft Wilderness, etc. The driver assumed that he would be able to drop me off at the MK bus depot per usual - that turned out to be wrong. As @rteetz noted above, the bus depot is inaccessible to all traffic (bus and Minnie Van) when the race is occurring, so they re-route to the TTC. I wish my driver had known that!

Instead, we opted to get off at CR since that was the next best alternative - time stamp 7:42am. That's just over 33 minutes for a 7.21 mile ride according to my Lyft ride history. I was glad it was still the flat $25 fare then! :-)

Here's a cut/paste of my Minnie Van trip from my ride receipt:

Minnie Van Route_2-25-2018.png

As @iujen94 indicated, the walkway from CR to MK was also closed at this point, so my only option was to get on the resort monorail at CR and take it around to MK (of course you have to make stops at TTC, Poly, and GF first).

I was on the monorail at 7:47am.

Here's a pic from the monorail looking down at World Drive just before it goes under the water bridge. You can see the traffic arrangement - half runners and half cars. They switch north and south bound auto traffic every few mins. Time stamp on the pic is 7:48am.

Image_1 2018-12-21_16-04-58.jpeg

I have a pic getting off the monorail at the MK station at 8:02am (as a reminder, I left BWI at 7:08am).... so just under an hour total travel time. I will note my overall time would have been less if my Minnie Van driver had taken me to the TTC or GF instead of the failed attempt towards getting to get to the bus depot.

By 8:05am I was on Main Street. At this point, runners are still flowing into the MK - half of Main Street is for runners half is for arriving park guests (and for folks cheering on the runners).

By about 8:25/30am per my photos, the last runners were through the MK, cones/ropes picked up, and it was like the race had never even happened. It immediately became a normal MK morning.

I'll caveat that sometimes the course isn't the same each year and this will also be the first year with the MK toll plaza bypass open, so that may/may not change things.... but regardless I think it's safe to assume that building in plenty of extra time is prudent that morning so long as the course route takes it toward the MK via World Drive like I'm pretty sure it normally does with the Princess Half.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any questions.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience, knowledge and expertise. Suffice to say, I think I will give up the PPO ADR for this morning and visit another park. I really appreciate the input. Cheers!

OP I would take Disney transportation and leave early.

I can't speak to the traffic getting there, but I can tell you that the walkway from Contemporary to MK is closed in the morning because of the race.

Then why have I had to dodge people walking across the little street?

By 8:05am I was on Main Street. At this point, runners are still flowing into the MK - half of Main Street is for runners half is for arriving park guests (and for folks cheering on the runners).

By about 8:25/30am per my photos, the last runners were through the MK, cones/ropes picked up, and it was like the race had never even happened. It immediately became a normal MK morning.

They can’t have park goers and spectators in the same area, because viewing doesn’t cost anything. They have to clear out the spectators. So I’m not sure how you’ve had that experience.

They can’t have park goers and spectators in the same area, because viewing doesn’t cost anything. They have to clear out the spectators. So I’m not sure how you’ve had that experience.

Sure they can, and did. MK opened (Main Street to the Hub) for everyone 7:45-8 just like a normal 9am morning. Runners were entering at the right entrance, guests the left entrance. Cones and ropes set up down Main Street and the castle to keep runners and guests clear.

I don’t know how spectators work in terms of how they manage park access. They asked at the entrance if I was a spectator or guest/had park tickets, I said guest, scanned my MB, and entered the park as any other day.

But for that 25-30 mins while the tail end of the race is finishing up through MK, there was definitely day guest overlap with runners and spectators during that period where Main Street and the Hub are open pre 9am. I am not sure how they make sure spectators don’t stay in the park - maybe someone knows. Honor system? Some people in my pics are wearing wristbands, but not everyone? During my time there it seemed most spectators were done/heading out/about to head out as the race was really winding down / all but done as you get towards 8:25-8:30’ish.

Then why have I had to dodge people walking across the little street?

I’m not sure. Maybe it was the time of day you used the walkway? I just know that 2 of the last 3 years, we stayed at Contemporary and went to MK for a PPO ADR at BOG on Princess Half Marathon Sunday. Both of those times, you could not use the walkway to MK because you could not cross the street separating Contemporary and MK because runners were going by, and they would NOT let us just “dodge” them.

I’m not sure. Maybe it was the time of day you used the walkway? I just know that 2 of the last 3 years, we stayed at Contemporary and went to MK for a PPO ADR at BOG on Princess Half Marathon Sunday. Both of those times, you could not use the walkway to MK because you could not cross the street separating Contemporary and MK because runners were going by, and they would NOT let us just “dodge” them.

I can only speak for what was happening at 7:42am on 2/25/18 when the Minnie Van dropped me off at CR, but this matches what I witnessed. The CR walkway was totally closed to pedestrians.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience, knowledge and expertise. Suffice to say, I think I will give up the PPO ADR for this morning and visit another park. I really appreciate the input. Cheers!
Be aware too, getting to ALL parks early is a mess on a half or full marathon morning.
Plan for double your travel time till 10:30 or so.
We were trying to reach AK, from BWI on the day of the Dark Side half this year and wow, it was really bad. Buses couldn't get through to even pick up at the resort in a timely manner. We opted for a Lyft and it was almost as bad. Only thing that worked better is a car can maneuver between the buses easier than another bus can. Buses just wait in a long line of other buses. Still took us 35 min to get there. Buses were taking longer.

It was gridlock getting into both Magic Kingdom and Epcot last year.

I was participating in the half and the traffic was barely moving at all into both parks, and I suspect it would have some residual effects on the other parks as well.

Is there a website that details the various closures and alternative routes? We were debating driving vs taking the bus from AKL to the TTC on the morning of the Princess Half.

Arriving by car around 11 a.m. for our stay at BWV's morning of 2/24...Need to allow more time coming off I-4? What time is this race over? Not going to any parks.. just the room..

We are staying at Bonnet Creek bear Disney Springs and have an 8:20 breakfast reservation at Chef Mickey’s on the 24th. Should we anticipate issues getting to the Contemporary?

We are staying at Bonnet Creek bear Disney Springs and have an 8:20 breakfast reservation at Chef Mickey’s on the 24th. Should we anticipate issues getting to the Contemporary?

Yes, World Drive will be alternating traffic one way then the other where it goes in front of CR as it is down to one traffic lane there with runners on the other side. Plan plenty of extra time.

Staying at BWI and have a PPO ADR for 8AM at MK.

I know ideally we would try and move our touring plans around with my new knowledge of road closures from the half marathon, but this reservation is a must and I currently can’t find any other avialibilty to switch to. (I do have a reservation tracker going though, so maybe we will get lucky closer to.)

All that being said, if we got a Lyft/Uber at 6:45 AM and went to POLY or GF to then hop on the monorail does that seem like enough extra time and the best plan?

Basically doubling what we would normally plan on 30 min travel for an hour? Any other suggestions/ideas?

Staying at BWI and have a PPO ADR for 8AM at MK.

I know ideally we would try and move our touring plans around with my new knowledge of road closures from the half marathon, but this reservation is a must and I currently can’t find any other avialibilty to switch to. (I do have a reservation tracker going though, so maybe we will get lucky closer to.)

All that being said, if we got a Lyft/Uber at 6:45 AM and went to POLY or GF to then hop on the monorail does that seem like enough extra time and the best plan?

Basically doubling what we would normally plan on 30 min travel for an hour? Any other suggestions/ideas?

I would make sure to read Post #5 above where I outline my exact timing from BWI to the MK trying to get to the park PPO this past year. I wish my Minnie Van driver had known he couldn’t drop me off at the MK bus plaza as that would have saved time. I definitely recommend being dropped off at the TTC, Poly, or GF - anything to avoid that stretch of World Drive under the water bridge in front of CR. I left BWI at 7:08 and was walking into the MK just about an hour later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter