MK Railroad - down for how long?

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
A favorite of my kids - anyone know when the railroad around MK will be running again? Thx!

It closed (according to first link I read, didn't verify) early December of last year.

I don’t think the end date is really known with any degree of certainty at this point, unfortunately. Still tons to work to do on that (now missing) section of track around Tron.

Someday...

That stinks. I am traveling with my son who is in a wheelchair. He liked to be on the bridge watching Splash Mountain while some of us ride it, then we all take the train out. It was usually our last ride before a break. So much easier than pushing him after hours of touring.

i would expect at least another year.
There is a lot of work to do around Tron, replace the track and build a tunnel.
The train most likely cannot be running while construction is still going on on Tron for safety reasons. At least all the track, canopy, etc need to be done.

The train was down when we were at Disney earlier this year. It is apparently related to the construction of that new roller coaster near the back of the park.

These estimtes seem an awfully long time... Isn't it possible they reroute or finish construction a bit faster without having such a popular attraction down for such a long period of time? 1 and a half to 2 years seems like a really long time to close the railroad.

Is the locomotive still parked at Main Street Station? I didn't get a chance to see it close up last trip and would love to do it next month.

I take the grand circle tour around the MK on the train every visit but I have to wonder, is it really THAT popular? I don’t think so...

I always take it for one complete circle then get off at a different station. Usually, but not always, I board at Frontierland, go around once, then get off at Fantasyland. I love also to people and park watch from the Main Street Station.

Last edited:
I take the grand circle tour around the MK on the train every visit but I have to wonder, is it really THAT popular? I don’t think so...

I always take it for one complete circle then get off at a different station. Usually, but not always, I board at Frontierland, go around once, then get off at Fantasyland. I love also to people and park watch from the Main Street Station.

We would typically ride it 1-2 times per day in MK. One time definitely just to ride it, but often a second time to move from one part of the park to another in a more relaxing manner than battling the crowds on foot. :)

Our trip is exactly one year from now, so I'm crossing my fingers that the 18 month guesses turn out to be right. :)

These estimtes seem an awfully long time... Isn't it possible they reroute or finish construction a bit faster without having such a popular attraction down for such a long period of time? 1 and a half to 2 years seems like a really long time to close the railroad.
That's just how long it's going to take to get the construction done. There really isn't any way to reroute or speed things up. More money I suppose, lol. It's a popular attraction, but not like Space Mountain or something. It serves more as a fun mode of transportation than a headline attraction. It's just something we'll have to deal with in the mean time.

The Tron entrance is going to be on top of the tracks, so I don't think there's a way around it. I think I read they might be putting in a tunnel.

Image_WDW_TRON.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter