MLK weekend in January vs President's weekend in February

Dr.Mickey

DIS Veteran
Ok, guys, let me know if you have experience with these weekends. We are planning a short weekend getaway for the grownups only (no kids!!!). We are long time Disney regulars who will be content riding our FP rides only, but we hope to lounge around Epcot or AK a lot. We have been during super crowded times (spring break) and less crowded times (mid-September). But we have never done either of these holiday weekends. What can we expect? Thanks!

I've been there over the MLK holiday twice as my birthday falls around (or sometimes on MLK day). This was in 2013 and 2014, but the crowds were totally manageable. The parks certainly weren't dead, but we had no trouble doing what we wanted. We even went to MK on MLK day one of the years because it was my actual birthday and we did just fine. I've been there twice during spring break as well (my husband used to be a teacher), and it was nowhere near that crowded. I really enjoyed going in January.

I haven't been there during President's weekend.

We were at WDW January 8-15 this year, and the MLK weekend was way busier than anything we experienced the rest of the week. That weekend was the start of the Festival of the Arts, and Epcot was PACKED. Crowd levels were higher at MK and HS (we didn't revisit AK) as well, but it was definitely the most noticeable at World Showcase.

We've never been during President's Day weekend, but I'd choose nice January weather + larger crowds to hot September weather + smaller crowds any day.

We are planning to go President's Day Weekend next year to see the Art Festival at Epcot. Hopefully, they have it again next year! President Day Weekend is crowded and busy, but can be managed with a good touring plan.

We're planning an adults only MLK weekend trip in 2018, too. I'd definitely choose it over President's weekend. Not even close. President's weekend is the end of cheerleader week, and the beginning of one of the busiest weeks outside of Christmas. Nope, not for me! (Plus airfare to FL from NYC will be off the charts for PW/end, so that's another no for us.)

Done Feb at WDW and seriously was chilled to the bone. I have also been there at the same time when it was lovely and even did a water park. It is so hard to know what you will get but Feb might be better than Jan.

I did Thursday-Monday over President's Day weekend this past year. I flew in that Thursday because they had one of those after-hours late night events at MK that night. I didn't really mind the crowds over that weekend... felt like a slightly less version of Spring Break or late October. I didn't really like the cost...very high resort prices and airfare, relatively speaking. Weather was pleasant during the day (70s) and cold at night (50's), but that can be highly variable.

I'd likely do that weekend again if needed.

FYI, for Feb, watch Mardi Gras and the Princess Half dates. For 2018, Mardi Gras is 2/13 - the week before President's Day weekend. That's a historically higher crowd time when a lot of LA families head to WDW. The Princess Half is the weekend following President's Day weekend this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter