MNSSHP Candy disappointment

A
I do believe though, if Disney keeps raising prices it will come to a point where they will hit a brick wall.
Brunette

Well I hope they do. Sooner rather than later. Sorry. Karma.

You take care, too. Enjoy watching those Redskins. Just kidding! :rotfl:

Supertink!!

You're in Maryland! :goodvibes I didn't even see that!! Cool! Redskins? I'm glad you are kidding!!! LOL!! We hate the Redskins! I'm going to PM you.

Brunette

I'm not talking about the premium you pay for actually going on Halloween. Would you be willing to pay even more if they were to hand out "better" candy? That is what I would like to know.

And it is not "all about the candy" for every child. My nieces were all about getting on the rides, and then getting candy when the mood struck them. I think that anyone paying that much mostly for the candy is not going to have their expectations met.

Isn't this the first year that Disney charged so much more to go on Halloween? For the additional cost its about only going on that day and nothing else? I just don't get it. Which is another reason I no longer go to the parties. As for the rides, we can do that on other visits. The only time the candy was important to DD was in 2005, we escaped to Disney after Wilma blew her way through Fort Lauderdale, it mattered because they wen't allowing any trick or treating down here because so many were still out of power. We went to the party twice while we were there and came home with 6-7 bags full of candy. Each night as we exited the turnstiles CMs would call for DD to come to them and they put handfuls of Snickers, 3 Musk, and Milky Ways in her bags. She thanked them and told them it was for her friends back home since they were cancelling Halloween due to Wilma (DD shared with family and friends in the neighborhood.), that got the CMs giving her even more. My parents were without power for 2.5 weeks. I was luckier I had power the day we got home but no one was allowed on the streets after 11pm due to so many stop lights being out. So for some kids it is more somewhat about the candy.

Anyway, bottom line: Speak out people!! Speak out!! If candy means a lot to you, by golly let 'em know!!!

Agreed. That's the key! I do believe though, if Disney keeps raising prices it will come to a point where they will hit a brick wall. The party on Halloween is close to $70.00!!!:scared1: Like I said that is close to the price of a one day pass.

take care.
Brunette

In 2005 it was less than $40 with advance prices, because I am an AP holder I paid $35 and got a free photo with it. Just like the first year I went to MVMCP you got a free photo and button pin. I remember seeing a lot of people with button pins representing all the past parties they had gone to. Now no more free photos or pins, this year I am disappointed with having 12 MVMCPs within 3 weeks (too many). MK is going to be very crowded on non party nights.

We went on 10/25 and ended up with three full bags of candy -- all kinds including M&Ms, Tootsie Rolls, Snickers, 3 Musketeers, etc. There were some chocolate coins and eyeballs (I agree with a PP...those are good!) and the cast members were giving out handfuls at a time. Towards the end of the night they were even giving two handfuls at a time to DS. That night was kind of quiet though so maybe they were just trying to make the candy last longer on Halloween night :confused3

I went the same night as you! I took a
mydisneybirthday09370.jpg

picture.. as you can hopefully see... and we barely got ANY chocolate... keep in mind that we needed room in our luggage so i sorted out the smarties which we had 74 packs of smarties between the two of us.. and yes this is DH and mine's combined... disappointed. It was not that fun trick or treating when you are not excited to keep seeing smarties and now and laters in your bag. I did buy chocolate at the store when we got back since it was 1/2 off and added it to our MNSSHP candy but it would've been nice if they just gave out more chocolate.

This is a pic of our candy from Oct. 25th 2007. Notice how there is way more chocolate and quanity.. even late at night this year they didnt give out that much.. we had way more candy last time b/c they gave out huge handfuls.

disney2007190ourcandypile.jpg

I'm not talking about the premium you pay for actually going on Halloween. Would you be willing to pay even more if they were to hand out "better" candy? That is what I would like to know.

And it is not "all about the candy" for every child. My nieces were all about getting on the rides, and then getting candy when the mood struck them. I think that anyone paying that much mostly for the candy is not going to have their expectations met.

Maxie-

You are totally missing the point! This is the point of the whole thread, you got PREMIIUM candy a few years back and tickets were far less expensive! Why would anyone in their right mind pay out close to $70.00 for a couple of hours to hang out in the park (packed/crowed) to get some cheap candy? This is close to the same price as a 1 day admission ticket. Disney isn't always right with everything they do. I just don't understand why you don't see that! And no it's not just about the candy! They're soaking every darn DIME FROM YOU! Sheesh! They're making a bigger profit off of you because they can!! Universal and SeaWorld didnt do it!

Kinda tarnishes the MAGIC doesn't it!?

Brunette

My point is is that if you are going just for the candy, then you are missing a lot of what the party is about, imho. My first Halloween party was 8 years ago. And while I don't remember what kind of candy we got, I do remember meeting all of the 7 dwarfs. And I remember my youngest niece, who was just a year old, getting a lot of attention.

I don't hang out in the parks for an additional 8 hours (not a couple!) just to get candy. And if you do I think you are just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

This was one of the hottest Octobers on record for Florida. Could that have anything to do with less chocolate being handed out? *shrugs* Because I know few people would want to carry about melted pools of chocolate for hours before heading back to a hotel room with a fridge (if any!) too small to salvage the bags of loot.

I don't know, I'm just asking because DF and I felt like we got a good amount of chocolate at the party, and we went on one of the few cooler nights. :confused3

I still don't understand the emphasis on candy though. What do you think of MVMCP then, where the only free goodies are stale cookies and tiny cups of hot cocoa that take MUCH more time in line to get to?

This is a pic of our candy from Oct. 25th 2007. Notice how there is way more chocolate and quanity.. even late at night this year they didnt give out that much.. we had way more candy last time b/c they gave out huge handfuls.

Your picture from 2007 very closely resembles our candy experience from that year; lots of good stuff.
This year, we got practically an entire bag of Smarties and Now and Laters and Tootsie Rolls between DH and I...oh and suckers too(all cheap stuff).
One of the reasons we pay the extra money to attend the party is the chance to be a kid again and trick or treat as adults. I loved back after our first party in 2007, going to our room and dumping our candy bags on the bed and sorting through all that candy. DH, DD and I would go through and do trades.
This year, we didn't even do a trade because what little chocolates we got, was a premium and we just dumped the rest into a ziplock and took back home to give to some friends of ours kids.
The candy isn't everything but is a special part of the MNSSHP experience for us.

I think a big part about the candy is that its just more fun to get the "good stuff"

comparing what each other got, imagine trick or treating as a kid and getting the very exact thing at every house. "what did you get?" chocolate pumpkins, what you get??" chocolate pumpkins, do that say for the next ten houses and you can see where trick or treating isnt so much fun.

that was our experience on the 1st, later we got the sassy sours, suckers and now and laters, im still trying to figure out how you eat a giant now and later, their hard as a rock

but I agree, its not all about the candy, just as the Christmas party isnt all about cookies and hot chocolate, but I love trick or treating and I want funner candy lol

I remember the first year we went, it cost 26 dollars, honestly can't remember what year that was though

We were there on the 27th. They were very chintzy handing out the candy. There were 4 of us in my party and at the end we put all of our candy together and had 1 bag full. We didn't get any good chocolates although we did see them in the bin. I watched one older cast member digging through his bin and putting the M&M's to the side - wonder who those went to???

Hey, I'll take the Tootsie Rolls! I actually prefer them to most other candy and they're a bit healthier too.

However, that is a big admission fee for the candy most people seemed to get. Personally if I'm going to pay high quality charges I expect high quality products in all areas.

I wonder is Disney even pays for the candy.
The candy makers probably sponsor it and give it to them.
They ran out of the free stuff and had to buy stuff so they got the cheapest.

Also was your kid actually bothered by what he got?
My kid just likes to get the candy regardless. I usually end up tossing most of it a month later.

BTW: If I recall correctly they had Dove chocolates at the Pirates party. They did not make it out of the park.

We went on November 1st and were really disappointed. Just a few years ago, we were able to get tickets for around $40, and this year it was $65. It was also the most crowded I've ever seen it. Plus, the candy was horrible. Suckers, off-brand Smartees, and Laffy Taffy comprised 95% of my candy. I think I had one Butterfinger and a small Snickers plus just a few of the bite size (not even snack size) bars. Sadly, given the exhorbitant cost and high crowds, this will probably be the last year we go.

Also was your kid actually bothered by what he got?
I don't think I'd say they were "bothered", but my kids were also disappointed in the candy they got. My 12yo didn't even ToT much after she saw that all she was getting was sticky stuff she can't eat with her braces, and Sassy Sours. The 6yo threw most of hers out after she ate the few she liked and the rest sat in the hotel room for a week.

Honestly, I was probably the most disappointed of the four of us! :rotfl: I admit it, I love chocolate, and I had a great time ToT'ing for the first time in 30 years! I expected to have a few candies in the hotel room to munch on during our stay (we went to the party early in our trip). I didn't expect to receive mostly crap. Did it "bother" me? I guess it bothered me enough to talk about it here on the DIS, but not enough to complain to Disney or anything.

What I don't get is why some people seem so bothered that others didn't care for the candy that was handed out. :confused3 If someone posted that their chicken was dry at Teppan Edo, would they get responses like "if you're just going to Epcot for the chicken, you're missing out so much more that Epcot has to offer." :confused3 :rotfl: In both cases, it's just one aspect of the experience, and (in both cases, for me anyway;)) it was definitely lacking in quality. One can discuss a shortcoming like this, without it being the main focus of their trip, and while having still had a great time overall at the party/park.

My kids get so much junk food at the parks all week that the last thing they need is a bag full of candy! I am always amazed that people want more/better candy, I am always trying to find ways to get rid of it!pirate:

What I don't get is why some people seem so bothered that others didn't care for the candy that was handed out. :confused3 If someone posted that their chicken was dry at Teppan Edo, would they get responses like "if you're just going to Epcot for the chicken, you're missing out so much more that Epcot has to offer." :confused3 :rotfl: In both cases, it's just one aspect of the experience, and (in both cases, for me anyway;)) it was definitely lacking in quality. One can discuss a shortcoming like this, without it being the main focus of their trip, and while having still had a great time overall at the party/park.[/QUOTE]

Perfect explanation, i totally agree. Why people respond this way is besides me.

I don't think I'd say they were "bothered", but my kids were also disappointed in the candy they got. My 12yo didn't even ToT much after she saw that all she was getting was sticky stuff she can't eat with her braces, and Sassy Sours. The 6yo threw most of hers out after she ate the few she liked and the rest sat in the hotel room for a week.

Honestly, I was probably the most disappointed of the four of us! :rotfl: I admit it, I love chocolate, and I had a great time ToT'ing for the first time in 30 years! I expected to have a few candies in the hotel room to munch on during our stay (we went to the party early in our trip). I didn't expect to receive mostly crap. Did it "bother" me? I guess it bothered me enough to talk about it here on the DIS, but not enough to complain to Disney or anything.

What I don't get is why some people seem so bothered that others didn't care for the candy that was handed out. :confused3 If someone posted that their chicken was dry at Teppan Edo, would they get responses like "if you're just going to Epcot for the chicken, you're missing out so much more that Epcot has to offer." :confused3 :rotfl: In both cases, it's just one aspect of the experience, and (in both cases, for me anyway;)) it was definitely lacking in quality. One can discuss a shortcoming like this, without it being the main focus of their trip, and while having still had a great time overall at the party/park.
Good points. I did actually want to know if it bothered your kid or not. Sorry if it did not come accross that way.
If they are disappointed with it then it is more of an issue IMO, that’s all.
For example I hate Chef Mickey's. The food is awful. The service is awful. It's overpriced.
The kid loves it, so we eat there.

I agree with you and your comments on the sticky chewy stuff, it should not be mostly that. Many kids (and adults) have filling and braces to worry about.

I would expect a fair amount of good candy, but what kids today consider good candy and what adults consider good are not the same anymore. Sour stuff and chewy stuff is very popular. My kid and kids friends prefer wacky taffy to almond joys.

In the end I think Disney should have a better mix of stuff.
There are adults there and many of the kids won't be trick or treating since they are at Disney, so they should do a better job.

If it was me getting that lousy candy I would egg the castle ;)

Hi All!

Well it just not the candy that is the issue. Last year you got a photo, pins and premium candy for alot less than what they are charging now. This year they are giving out the cheapest candy, no photo, no pins, and alot more for the price of admission. I think we all need to wake up and smell the coffee. Why anyone would go to the party on Halloween and spend close to $70.00 is beyond me, but that's just me. :confused3 Like I said earlier that is almost the price of a one day pass! I also think they are having way too many parties within the same week. It's too much! Walt would be turning over in his grave he knew this. Yes, it's capitalism at work and yes, I'm a capitalist but enough is enough in my humble opinion. pirate:

Hi All!

Well it just not the candy that is the issue. Last year you got a photo, pins and premium candy for alot less than what they are charging now. This year they are giving out the cheapest candy, no photo, no pins, and alot more for the price of admission. I think we all need to wake up and smell the coffee. Why anyone would go to the party on Halloween and spend close to $70.00 is beyond me, but that's just me. :confused3 Like I said earlier that is almost the price of a one day pass! I also think they are having way too many parties within the same week. It's too much! Walt would be turning over in his grave he knew this. Yes, it's capitalism at work and yes, I'm a capitalist but enough is enough in my humble opinion. pirate:

I agree. I've said similar things in other threads.
People come out of the woodwork to defend the mouse.
Until people stop taking anything Mr. Mouse throws at us things will not change.

What really annoyed me was the number of parties they had this year.
I feel it cut into the enjoyment of my time in Disney.
(Park closing early, No EMH when I was there. Constant announcement that tickets were still available. etc..)
I already bought a 10 day pass, I'm not going to pay to stay in the park for the party on top of that. Didn't you just raise prices during a recession and now you want more?

I'll will now get flamed and told. “It's a business.”, “It's supply and Demand.”, “You don't have to go.”, “The park would have closed early anyway this time of year.”, ”You should have planed better.”, “Don't go in October” etc etc etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter