MNSSHP or 3 Character meals? Help me decide...

JPKnapp

Mouseketeer
What's going to be more memorable for the kids? MNSSHP or 3 Character meals?

For my family of 5, the costs of MNSSHP is the same as 3 Character meals. We are going at end of Sept and it looks like low crowds, so the benefit of ride access may not apply. My kids love the character meals and M&G in general. My kids arent much of night owls and we are typically asleep by 10pm during our trips. Obviously if we went to party, we'd plan mid day break to get them as rested as possible with hope of lasting to 11p.

This happens to be our (read "my") ultimate Disney vacation with a BLT theme park view. So we have easy access to MK. To add to it, we are moving to England in November and wont be back to WDW until after StarWars is done. So we are really kind of going all-out on this trip.

Is the party and memory of trick-or-treating at Disney worth it?

I would opt for the party, it's so much fun! And you get unique character M&G there that you can't get otherwise. Character meals are a great way to eat and save time on M&G (since you won't have to line up for them in the park) at the same time, since you have to eat anyway. But, you can save on the dining portion and still meet those characters elsewhere in the parks.

I'd say party, but only if you think your kids can make it until 11:00pm. You don't want to miss Hallowishes, which is at 10:15. And I'd recommend not going to a park at all until you can get into the MK at 4:00. Let the kids sleep in, then have a relaxed day before the party.

I would ask which meals as well, as if it's CP or CM, I feel like you could easily see those characters in their Halloween-ness at the party, but if its hard to find characters or those not likely to be at the party, and at your FAVORITE restaurant, I would rethink....but there are great fireworks/parades at the party too....and CANDY :) hahahahahaha it would really depend on what interests your family the most.....

Party hands down. Have a resort day that day, walk over so you can get in right at 4. My kids have always been able to make it till 11 or later starting at a very young age. It is so much fun, one of our favorite memories and we almost always plan fall trips so we can go to MNSSHP.

Kind of surprised everyone is saying party. Don't think it's that simple. To me the obvious question is how long are your going for? If you're there for 4-5+ days during a low season, I'd probably go for 3 character meals if they enjoy them rather than an additional 4 hours in MK. Yes - there are a few neat things at the parties but are they really going to want to stand on those very long lines for the special characters for the party? Are you just going to be riding the same rides you're getting to ride the rest of the week with not much issue? Trick or treating is fun but I think the character meals are far more memorable. The special fireworks are great - but the normal ones are pretty darn good too.

Now - if you've only got a few days at the parks, having that extra evening in MK could be worthwhile to get to see everything you want. But for end of Sept., any trip longer than a long weekend will let you do almost everything (most things multiple times). Hopefully you have hoppers as great strategy that time of year is MK during the day on party days and get out of there by about 3pm and hop to another park. Just make sure if you want to see fireworks you plan on heading there a non-party night (when I recommend the reverse strategy - don't go to that park during the day and head over for dinner and fireworks).

To me - best way to do a party are non-park days when you head over a 4pm. The comment about being able to get in at 4pm is irrelevant to anyone who's already vacationing there with park hoppers.

So in short - I vote for character meals unless you think you need that extra MK time. If it's just for the special party events - I don't think it's worth it.

Does this change anyone's mind? We have APs and will be there for 8 days first week of October staying at BLT. So after 4p extra-park-day doesnt really apply and have easy access to MK multiple days. It's not a specific 3 character meals that we wouldnt do, it's more that we'd pick 3 from our already scheduled week to cancel and the budget for that would go toward the party.

The party is always going to be more memorable. HOWEVER, consider first that 3 character meals WILL cost more than your ticket package to MNSSHP when you factor in gratuity (unless maybe if they are all breakfast).

Given you have AP's with potentially 8 park days, I'd probably go with the character meals IF you value sit-down meals more than the "extras" you get at a ticketed event.

The only reason we do the party is because our military tickets are for 5 park days and it essentially gives us an extra park day. If we had AP's, we wouldn't spend the money on the party.

You haven't changed my mind but you definitely solidified my initial opinion! You have 8 days at the parks in a relatively low season. The party is fun but so many other experiences you can do while you're there that I think are more "unique" than MK with some specially themed decorations, events and characters. Especially if the kids like characters, I've heard the lines for characters can be very long which could mean party time could be spent in a lot of lines. And as for rides, you'll be doing them all multiple times during your trip. Look at character meals and dessert parties as other options!

Party! Character meals are great but you'll have plenty of time to meet characters outside of meals with 8 days in the parks. The Halloween party has such a fun vibe and the special events and treats are really fun. Plus I love dressing up as a family and seeing all the amazing costumes too.

How about one Character meal and the MNSSHP Party. This way you get both. With the Character Meal I would choose what characters your family wants to meet the most. Alot of the Characters will be at MNSSHP in halloween costume. We are doing Crystal and BOG plus Halloween. I believe if Halloween is on when you are they you should go to that as you will see things not available at any other time of the year.

I'm going with the meals. If you have AP"s, will be there for 8 days and the party early entry is of no use to you, you are looking at 4 hours of party time (if you make it to 11 pm). I would do the meals and even consider doing something like Hoop Dee Doo which will be just as memorable as the party IMHO.

To me it sounds like the Charavter Meals will suit your family better.
The kids do not stay up late
They love meeting characters
You have APs and 8 days in the park.

I love MNSSHP and wont miss it if Im there during the time it is held but i can stay up till 1 or 2 am. My kids are teens and our favorite holiday is Halloween hands down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter