Moana and More AAPI Month Exercise Challenge (May 2022)

Raya

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the May 2022 exercise thread! This month's theme is "Moana and More May" celebrating Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month with a Disney lens. :)

Welcome back! If you're new here's how to join us:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Common goals for our 30 days of May:

15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress. Look for the like from me to tell you that your post has been counted. :)

10% - Mei's Panda Red
25% - Mulan Pink
50% - Rajah Orange
75% - Shang Chi Gold

90% - Pacific Ocean Blue
100% - Te Fiti Green

Our challenge starts on May 1st, officially, but feel free to join us anytime. Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:

Raya 560/480 - 116%
Sophy1996 1565/1400 - 112%

PollyannaMom 525/600 - 88%
Elizabeth Smith 820/800 - 103%
ColoradoLime 554/500 - 110%

Bethislucy 1146/1800 - 64%
Piglet1979 388/930 - 42%
Twilight Sparkle 1730/1860 - 93%

Team: 7288/8370 - 87%
Last updated 6/1

Last edited:
Good morning! Guess I should have posted my minutes yesterday - I'm hoping for 30 minutes every other day, which sounds huge to me but works out to be just one more work out than I did in April. I started the month off with a strong walk for 50 minutes. :)

50/480

Welcome, everyone, to Asian and Pacific Islander American month. The commemoration started as a week during the first ten days in May in 1979, and then moved to an entire month in 1990. According to the Library of Congress, "[t]he month of May was chosen to commemorate the immigration of the first Japanese to the United States on May 7, 1843, and to mark the anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad on May 10, 1869. The majority of the workers who laid the tracks were Chinese immigrants."

As for Disney, a breakdown of its workforce for fiscal year 2021 indicates that approximately 8% of its employees describe themselves as Asian or Pacific Islander (7.4% as Asian and 0.6% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander).

Hi everyone - I'd like to join in. I'm working on being more active and training to run a 5k. Plus I need to lose some weight in preparation for our upcoming DL trip so I can regain it in the parks! lol

I'm going to set my goal at 500 minutes. Today I had a quick 20 min walk in the rain so the dog could get some exercise. More real exercise upcoming this week!

20/500

Congratulations to Raya and ColoradoLime for reaching Mei's Panda Red! Here's an article about Turning Red, by an Asian-American writer who found the movie's depiction of Asian-Canadian culture to be both familiar and liberating. She notes that Turning Red was directed by Domee Shi, an Asian-Canadian who is the first sole-credited female director for Pixar.

Last edited:
Good morning! I'm posting 35 minutes for myself, bringing me to 85/480! Yay! My cohost already congratulated our big movers, so I'll just echo her welcome for our new folks.

May the Fourth be with you! On Star Wars day, I want to share a shout out to AAPI actor, Temuera Morrison who plays Jango Fett. He's a veteran Maori actor, which means that all of the Clones are Pacific Islanders. And then there's the great Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus, both Chinese, who made this scene happen:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

And, of course, the much maligned Rose Tico but I'll leave her story for another day... ;)

Happy Star Wars Day! To tag along with what Raya posted, here's an article tracing the history of Asian/Pacific Islander representation in Star Wars (up to May 2018, so not entirely complete (looking at you, Ming-Na Wen!)).

Also, Star Wars fans are pretty familiar with Lucasfilm vice president and executive creative director Doug Chiang, who was born in Taiwan and moved to the United States at age 5. He currently is serving as Production Designer for The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

May the Fourth be with you. :darth::chewy:

Last edited:
Good morning! I'm posting 35 minutes for myself, bringing me to 85/480! Yay! My cohost already congratulated our big movers, so I'll just echo her welcome for our new folks.

May the Fourth be with you! On Star Wars day, I want to share a shout out to AAPI actor, Temuera Morrison who plays Jango Fett. He's a veteran Maori actor, which means that all of the Clones are Pacific Islanders. And then there's the great Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus, both Chinese, who made this scene happen:

And, of course, the much maligned Rose Tico but I'll leave her story for another day... ;)

I don't know what people's issue with Rose is, I actually quite liked her. She certainly wasn't a strong character but I see no reason to hate on her. lol

I am in this month. April was really rough and stressful for me. So far the end of April and May so far have been going pretty good. I am in for 30 minutes a day or 930 for the month. I have to run to a meeting. I will be back later with my times so far this month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter