Mobile ordering -- total beginner questions

AmyAnne

DIS Veteran
This whole mobile ordering is new since our last WDW visit, but we will be there this year over Christmas, so I see figuring it out is necessary.

So, first of all, what app do I need on my phone? I have MDE but it's not apparent tome how I would use that app to order . . .

Also, how far in advance do you have to order? For example, if we had a 10:30 am BoG reservation, what is the cut-off time for mobile ordering?

And any other tips or tricks I should know?

This gives you the basics.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobile-food-orders/

Personally I like it and don't plan on going back to the traditional way.

Yes you use the MDE app.
Under "my plans" it says "order food".
I always wait to order until I get to the restaurant but you can also put in your order ahead of time and then just submit it when you're walking up to the restaurant.

BOG is completely different.
Its not mobile order.
Its preorder and you do it on the website anywhere from 30 days prior to 5 minutes prior to checking in for the ADR.
You'd look to the right of your dining reservation and there should be something that says preorder that you click on.

It is really easy to use and we love it!
You use the MDE app. You can order any time before you plan to eat, even while waiting at the QS. We usually do it while waiting in a line in the morning.
Under my plans is the order food button. Press that, then select the restaurant.
You can then scroll through the food options and drinks. Once done, click done.
When you are close to the QS, click the I'm here button. They will text you when the food is ready and you just go to the mobile ordering pickup window. Really easy. And when you see a long line ordering, you will love it.
the only issue is if you want something specially made, I don't think there is a way to do that in the app.

We can't wait to try this out next month. It seems simple to use but with Disney software...you never know.

We'll order our food, get a table, and unwind a few minutes until our food is ready.

Mike

We can't wait to try this out next month. It seems simple to use but with Disney software...you never know.

We'll order our food, get a table, and unwind a few minutes until our food is ready.

Mike
It has worked fine for me on 3 soon to be 4 trips
It usually only takes a couple minutes for it to be ready so you're not gonna have much time to unwind.

It was convenient but I did not like how you couldn't edit an item. For example, someone in our group does not like cheese on their burgers, cheeseburger was the only option, there was no hamburger option. It would not let me select "no cheese". Ended up having to order it at the counter.

Is it possible to pay with Disney gift cards (whether in-app or add to resort tab and pay off there)?
It must be a credit card or dining plan.
If you stand in line to order you could use a gift card or use your magic band to charge to your room reservation.

It was convenient but I did not like how you couldn't edit an item. For example, someone in our group does not like cheese on their burgers, cheeseburger was the only option, there was no hamburger option. It would not let me select "no cheese". Ended up having to order it at the counter.
It's meant to be quick not customizable.

Why can't it be both? Dunkin Donuts has mobile ordering and it's completely customizable. Same with Panera, Starbucks. Making it customizable isn't a hard request.

If you haven't noticed Disney's software is minimal therefore mobile order is minimal.
I also have a theory that they don't allow for much customization and certain discounts so that people will still wait in line.
If everyone mobile ordered you'd have more table back ups like you used to see where everyone has a tray of food and no where to sit.

Why can't it be both? Dunkin Donuts has mobile ordering and it's completely customizable. Same with Panera, Starbucks. Making it customizable isn't a hard request.

There is some limited customization at many of the locations, for instance at Cosmic Rays if you order the 1/3lb Angus Bacon Cheeseburger you can remove entirely, or add extra, of both the bacon and the cheese, you can also select french fries, carrots or galaxy loaded fries (+$2.00) as your side. I wish it were more customizable like Starbucks or Panera, but there is some limited customization for many items.

We started using from day one and what we have found is ...

- The more crowded the park the least likely we were able to get the app to work. It will spin and spin and spin like it is looking. Sometimes when pick our restaurant it tells us it is closed, even though it's not. So I would have if possible try to put in your orders very early in day so hopefully you only have to tell them you are there.

- We have had our orders in, arrived to ZERO tables and then just cancelled our meal and gone elsewhere. I think this would likely happen most at the popular places.

- We have experienced some restaurants unable to keep up with the mobile demand as most only have one person working that station. Pinnocchio took 20+ minutes to get our food after we arrived in restaurant. The line at mobile was huge. Restaurantasaurus we probably waited an additional 15 minutes as it appeared no one was working that counter. Only when CMs noticed a line did someone offer to help.

- 50/50 success at fresh food. Like Pinocchio, there were so many of us in line waiting, the food was all sitting there and by time we got ours it was cold but at that point who wants to start over.

It's a great idea, I loved it at the beginning but when they added the ability to use DDP it seemed to overwhelm several of the locations and system at times.

We started using from day one and what we have found is ...

- The more crowded the park the least likely we were able to get the app to work. It will spin and spin and spin like it is looking. Sometimes when pick our restaurant it tells us it is closed, even though it's not. So I would have if possible try to put in your orders very early in day so hopefully you only have to tell them you are there.

- We have had our orders in, arrived to ZERO tables and then just cancelled our meal and gone elsewhere. I think this would likely happen most at the popular places.

- We have experienced some restaurants unable to keep up with the mobile demand as most only have one person working that station. Pinnocchio took 20+ minutes to get our food after we arrived in restaurant. The line at mobile was huge. Restaurantasaurus we probably waited an additional 15 minutes as it appeared no one was working that counter. Only when CMs noticed a line did someone offer to help.

- 50/50 success at fresh food. Like Pinocchio, there were so many of us in line waiting, the food was all sitting there and by time we got ours it was cold but at that point who wants to start over.

It's a great idea, I loved it at the beginning but when they added the ability to use DDP it seemed to overwhelm several of the locations and system at times.

I was worried that it would be slower once they added the DDP option but I went in February and August/September and it was fine.
Although my friend in February said it wasn't working for her but mine was. We have different phones and hers is actually newer and yet mine worked fine and my sister's did as well and we have the same phone.

I was worried that it would be slower once they added the DDP option but I went in February and August/September and it was fine.
Although my friend in February said it wasn't working for her but mine was. We have different phones and hers is actually newer and yet mine worked fine and my sister's did as well and we have the same phone.

Interesting thought. I will say while others complain all the time about MDE in the park and modifying/using FP+ system ... we have no issues and refresh, modify and roll the 4th without issues. You'd think we'd be able to utilize all aspects of MDE app but ............. it is Disney IT after all. Sometimes mobile order works well start to finish, sometimes it tries and fails, and sometimes the bigger issues is on arrival at the restaurant.

We are always ready to be flexible at Disney. :goodvibes

Interesting thought. I will say while others complain all the time about MDE in the park and modifying/using FP+ system ... we have no issues and refresh, modify and roll the 4th without issues. You'd think we'd be able to utilize all aspects of MDE app but ............. it is Disney IT after all. Sometimes mobile order works well start to finish, sometimes it tries and fails, and sometimes the bigger issues is on arrival at the restaurant.

We are always ready to be flexible at Disney. :goodvibes

I too never have an issue with refresh/modifying FP+ or any other problems with MDE in the parks.

I too also recognize that like with every day life you do need to be willing to be flexible at Disney too.
I feel like so many don't see it that way. They plan everything down to potty breaks and then as soon as a bus is 2 minutes late or they don't get their must have FP+ they have a meltdown and blame Disney for "ruining" their vacation.

There is some limited customization at many of the locations, for instance at Cosmic Rays if you order the 1/3lb Angus Bacon Cheeseburger you can remove entirely, or add extra, of both the bacon and the cheese, you can also select french fries, carrots or galaxy loaded fries (+$2.00) as your side. I wish it were more customizable like Starbucks or Panera, but there is some limited customization for many items.

Ah ok. Maybe in the future, there will be more customization available. From my understanding, the mobile ordering is still pretty new!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter