Modifying number of people on ADR

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
My 180 day booking window opens on 12/20. My parents have yet to decide if they are coming with us or not. What happens if I book for 6 people and then they decide not to come? Is it easy to modify the ADR to 4 people or would I need to cancel the ADR and rebook? I’m really only worried about one ADR - my boys’ birthday dinner on 6/20.

I’m pretty sure you have to cancel and rebook or make another reservation for the new people and just sit at different tables.

My 180 day booking window opens on 12/20. My parents have yet to decide if they are coming with us or not. What happens if I book for 6 people and then they decide not to come? Is it easy to modify the ADR to 4 people or would I need to cancel the ADR and rebook? I’m really only worried about one ADR - my boys’ birthday dinner on 6/20.
make the ressies to include parents if they don't come no problem as the rest of you will keep ressie. only problem would be if all do not show up. you can show with less people with no problem/charge but it could be harder to add them if they come at later date

Book for 6, show up with 4 if the need arises & you're unable to rebook for 4. You will be seated, but expect that there might be a delay. This happened to us when one member of our travel party dropped out last minute. We had several ADRs booked and were seated everywhere without the 3rd person, but it took a bit longer than usual in some places. I got a feeling that a couple of the check-in CMs thought we'd done it on purpose to snag a hard-to-get ressie (some people do that, no doubt), but we hadn't.

Last edited:

Knowing what kind of experience you want and how many in your dining party 180 (+10) days before your vacation is tough! I don't even know what I'm making for dinner tonight. :sunny: I agree with the other posters, make the ressie considering the largest number you'll have. It is generally much easier to drop diners than add later. You won't be charged for the ADR if you show up with less people.

As long as it’s not one of those prepaid meals, there’s no penalty for less people showing up for an adr. I would try to modify the ADR if necessary but i would leave if as is if I couldn’t.

It's super easy to modify it online from MDE. Just go to your reservations, click change reservation, adjust the # of people, search and the same time will show up. I do it all the time.

It's super easy to modify it online from MDE. Just go to your reservations, click change reservation, adjust the # of people, search and the same time will show up. I do it all the time.

I did this for our last trip when 3 people had to cancel last minute on a couple ADRs. Very easy. Even though I could just show up with less people without penalty, I wanted to free up those extra spots in case it opened up a table for someone else.

Very easy, MDE just offers you the same time. No need to fully cancel and rebook. Modifying has always worked for us.

Thanks so much for all the responses. I will definitely modify if needed once I know what my parents are doing. Thanks again.

Thanks so much for all the responses. I will definitely modify if needed once I know what my parents are doing. Thanks again.
Be careful, modifying doesn’t always work at popular places. We’ve run into that at BOG and CRT. We ended up calling because we couldn’t modify our ADR to reflect fewer people. The CM told us showing up with less people is no problem and we wouldn’t be charged for those not attending.

If you book for 6 and you show up with 6 there is absolutely zero chance there will be an issue. Simply explain that your parents were worn out from all the fun and couldn't attend. :)

Play it safe book for 6 as many here will tell you its easy to reduce the number of people on an ADR its almost impossible to add. In our 4 previous trips we have had family members say they were to tired or sick to go to dinner. The restaurants have always been understanding.

Book for 6. It's easier to delete them or even show up without them, but if there is no availability in the future you may not have the option of adding them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter