moms nerves vs kids on their own

mom2smjn

Disneynut who married Disneyfreak and had Disneyki
I was wondering at what age some of you have let your kids go of on their own. Whether it is just to go get a snack,wait in line and ride a ride, or spend a significant amount of time exploring by themselves. I always feel deceptively safe at WDW yet in this day and age the thought of loosing site of my kids makes me shudder!

Any thoughts???????

I will let my 11 and 8 yr. old boys go to a restroom together at WDW. We let them when they were 9 and 6, but they were using the buddy system. Also, WDW restrooms are so busy, and we adults were outside where we could see everyone going in and coming out. We let them have the run of the Boneyard without following them around, but we stayed with their little sister constantly in there. This year I'm probably going to let them go in the single riders line at Test Track. My kids aren't old enough to explore on their own, but there are some parents who would gasp at this level of freedom I extend.

Letting go is so hard! By 9 I let my DS go into the bathrooms at WDW alone. (only child so no buddy system). I did ask a man with a child comming out if there was more than one exit. I gave him a little roam room at intervations but never had him out of my sight for more than a couple minutes. I also let him explore a little bit out of my sight for a few minutes at stores in DD and in the resort gift shop. I would feel a lot better if he had a sibbling or friend along. I am pretty protective so other may be comfortable with a lot more freedom. By the time he is a teen, we plan to take a friend with us at least part of the time so he can have a little more freedom.

Jordan's mom

My older two girls are teenagers, and I have a 6 yr old. Many times when we get to a park, we'll split up and either they go off on their own or DH goes with them, and my little one and I go off. Then we all meet up for lunch - and my kids never miss a meal so I know they'll be there! HaHa!

I am comfortable with them both being off together on their own, but I do make them stay at the same park as us.

About two years ago, we were staying at the Contemporary, and they caught the monorail and went to the GF to have the Villain Dinner - by themselves. DH and I, and my little one, went to Wilderness Lodge for dinner. My older two had a blast at the dinner (we had given them the room key to charge their meal), and they did a little shopping at the hotel, and were back in the room when we returned.

Let your kids go when you think they're ready. The age thing doesn't matter. Who says a 10 year old can't be more mature than a 15 year old?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter