Moms of boys - please help! (Updated post #144)

Another boy mom here! OP, I'm glad to hear your anxiety has been reduced by many of the responses to your post. I would echo many of the comments that have already been shared. I too "expected" to have a daughter, but was blessed with 2 amazing sons who are the absolute light of my life. I wouldn't trade soccer mom life for anything, and the relationship I have with my boys is wonderful. That said, there will always be a little piece of me that is disappointed I will never share some of the classic mother daughter experiences....shopping for a wedding dress, getting ready for school dances, etc. I believe those feelings are natural and it certainly doesn't mean I love my sons any less. I am 100% certain that as soon as you meet your sweet little guy you will fall completely in love. Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy :)

OP-glad to see that you got some great support. It is nerve wracking enough with a first pregnancy! We have 2 girls and 1 boy. I was a twinge disappointed when we found out second was also a girl, but that quickly turned into feelings of relief! I knew how to do a girl from my firstborn. As it turns out-she is the daddy's girl, goes hunting with him, is most like him, and as an infant-DH was the one to get her to calm down and sleep! She very clearly wanted me only to be fed LOL! My son is just an awesome kid, makes me laugh everyday, and the spontaneous hugs and kisses never get old, although I've had more trips to ER with him than both his sisters combined. He is also the only one who's needed stitches (so far).

would eat us out of house and home from birth to well

Land of Wild Ravening Wolves that they seemed to descend from at times.
Apt descriptions of boys LOL! Man can my lil guy eat-and he grows out of clothes overnight.

We have 3 kids, the first one was a girl, the second I was sure was a boy and when I found out it was a girl I was so happy. The third one was a boy. I didn't know it till I had him
I didn't find out early with our third either-even though as an older mom we had lots of testing done. I truly didn't care by my third and it was fun not knowing until birth! Although the 3rd pregnancy was miserable for me-I felt so much better with his sisters.

girl drama is way hard to deal with when they are teens
I survived one, and am in middle of 2nd. OMG-there are days I would happily send her off somewhere for a couple years. Doesn't help that my middle kid is the most stubborn of them all either. And my thrill seeker. Not sure it helps that she is also super smart too...(jk-love that she is so smart, but it does get exhausting LOL)

DD10 hasn't reached that puberty age quite yet, but she's just about to. I don't even want to go down that road...but I'm gonna have to...
-oh it is coming!!

OP-congrats on the pregnancy. You will have lots of feelings that the "life is perfect police" don't think you should have. Be assured we have all had them! Acknowledging that you are human and have less than "perfect" feelings or moments does not, in any way, invalidate your love you will have for your child!!

*I'm not a boy mom..at least not yet, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in because my husband experienced disappointment*

When I saw the second line on the pregnancy test, I knew she was a girl. My husband had a dream early on the baby was boy. From then on, he called the baby "he, his him" without hesitation. When I went in for my 20 week ultrasound (he couldn't attend due to a work commitment), and they told me she was totally healthy, I was thrilled. I called my husband and asked if we could meet for lunch and he said yes. I told him the baby was girl, and they were 95% sure. He was shocked. He didn't speak to me for about 3 days regarding the baby. A little while later, he told me that to him finding out our daughter wasn't a boy, he treated it like a "death". It was a death of a dream. It took him pretty much the rest of the pregnancy to warm up to the idea.
The moment she was born, he was absolutely joyful. His child, who most importantly, was healthy, was here and he embraced it fully! You will too! Being a mother is the greatest joy. When your little boy enters the world, it won't matter what's between the legs. It will put you on this "high" that I cannot even explain with words. Enjoy the time preparing for his arrival, along with the pregnancy! Congratulations!

I just wanted to post an update because you were all so lovely to share your encouragement and experiences. My baby boy is a few months old now and the love of my life. I can't believe I worried about his gender. His smile melts my heart and he is starting to giggle, grab at things and really take in the world around him. He is absolutely beautiful and I love him to pieces. I used to worry - what if I end up with only boys, no daughters? Now I know I'd take a million of him.

Thank you all for calming me down when I was feeling low. It really was true, the love was something I had to experience to understand. These have been the best months of my life.

I’m so happy for you! My son is 14 now. He was 13 when I posted. He’s getting more mature every day. The awkward anger that accompanies a lot of preteens has dissolved significantly, thank God. These days he has a tiny mustache he refuses to shave and SUCH a deep voice!

Thank you for this update. I had a feeling you'd fall in love with him once he entered your life. :cloud9:

Congratulations OP on your baby boy! They are so sweet and usually nicer to their Mamas than girls are- at least as far as I've seen with family, friends, and my own children and grandchildren.

I just wanted to post an update because you were all so lovely to share your encouragement and experiences. My baby boy is a few months old now and the love of my life. I can't believe I worried about his gender. His smile melts my heart and he is starting to giggle, grab at things and really take in the world around him. He is absolutely beautiful and I love him to pieces. I used to worry - what if I end up with only boys, no daughters? Now I know I'd take a million of him.

Thank you all for calming me down when I was feeling low. It really was true, the love was something I had to experience to understand. These have been the best months of my life.

I want you to come back here in 5 years when that little baby boy is no longer a little baby and tell us the same thing... :p :tongue:

Congrats!!! Boys are unique and special, just like girls.

I want you to come back here in 5 years when that little baby boy is no longer a little baby and tell us the same thing... :p :tongue:

Congrats!!! Boys are unique and special, just like girls.

I can only speak for myself, but my 2 boys (who are now 12 and 14) are still the absolute sweetest kids ever. I have had NO tween/teen drama and they are both such good, nice boys. The younger one is still my "baby" and melts my heart every day. He is a cuddler and still a little kid on the inside.

So glad you posted an update! Sounds like you're in love with your little boy, as we all knew you would be. And someday maybe you'll be assuring another mom-to-be how wonderful boys are :love:

OF COURSE it's fine, like we all knew it would be! You were just surprised and emotional and caught off-guard. We get it--it happens. I'm so glad everything turned out fine, and you're head over heels in love with your precious little boy! If you get pregnant again, don't be surprised if you want another boy, because who wouldn't want seconds, right?

I probably posted this, pages back, but I was a very reluctant mother--anxious and worried that I wouldn't love my own child. I had a miserable, unexpected pregnancy. People kept saying how my life would change, but I like my old life, darn it! I was fine, the second the cord was cut. My oldest is now 23, college graduate with a job (actually three) who lives 800 miles away, who loves to travel all over the world. I miss her, but I'm proud to say I'm her mother. And despite my anxiety early on, I must have done a few things right along the way.

So, enjoy your baby. Enjoy the toddler years (source of much aggravation but some funny stories along the way). Celebrate milestones. Cry at graduations. The ride has hills and twists, and it only goes around once. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter