• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Moms, tell this pregnant lady to relax...

Since "loves to dive" is right there in your username, I have to ask: What's the conventional wisdom on diving while pregnant?

Not really sure, I guess it wouldn't hurt if you didn't go very deep but the pressure increases the deeper you go so I probably wouldn't do it. We didn't start diving until I was in my 40s so it's not something I've even thought about. It wouldn't take any great strength or effort but I just don't know what effect the depths would have and then there is always the risk of doing something silly and getting the bends.

I agree with everyone that you need to relax. I know it is harder said than done, BUT just so you know, stress can cause very real physical problems and can affect a pregnancy and a developing baby as well, so if you need extra incentive, there it is. There can be a real cost to needlessly worrying because that causes your body to release cortisol. Increased cortisol levels during pregnancy are associated with a whole host of problems for both mother and baby, so the absolute best thing you can do right now is STOP worrying about things that you can't control. Unnecessary stress really needs to be eliminated during pregnancy.

I just had my second and it was a little higher risk thanks to my age so I get the anxiety. You mentioned you're 24 weeks and that's fantastic. Most of the things that could go wrong, go wrong early in pregnancy. You've passed all those early milestones without a problem so your risk of spontaneous problems are really really low. The other good news is that at this stage you're baby is bigger and there are A LOT more options if something did get off track. It wouldn't be all sunshine and unicorns, but I was comforted knowing that I'd hit the milestone for outside viability.

I also had an anterior placenta and kick counts were nerve wracking because the movement is muted and you can miss a lot of kicks. Honestly I'd stop using the Doppler because it will only freak you out every time you can't detect movement.

I suggest mentioning the anxiety at your next appointment because a) anxiety does have an affect on your pregnancy and is something your doctor should know about and b) you won't be the first patient to ever express anxiety and your doctor should have some suggestions to help.

Sending good vibes your way

It's normal to be nervous. I remember with my first I thought I had every disease...damn nursing school and the 4 inch thick maternity nursing book. I went thru every page and with every twinge and thought I was dying.

FTR, I raked, shoveled snow, with my coat unzipped as I was 6-7 mo pregnant and HOT! I think early on we weeded a garden, talk about a back breaker!

Can you take the Doppler to the OB and have them help you locate the heartbeat?

It's not easy growing a little baby, the worrying starts when the X & Y start and never stop (my oldest is 16 so I still have quite a few years of worries, plus the 13 and 11 yo).

2nd the prenatal yoga! Find a class you are comfortable with an instructor that is certified in prenatal yoga. The breathing and gentle stretching really do work wonders.

Fwiw- I pretty much lived on diet cherry limeade(Sonic-even now my older kids tease me as I do Not normally eat fast food or soda) and peanut butter sandwiches with my third because of all day long nausea all pregnancy. Only time I was comfortable was in dead of winter visiting family in Iowa (25 weeks m)- light jacket only (rest of family were always cold. Kid is 11 now and smart as heck, healthy etc.

easier said than done but relaxing a bit IS the best thing you can do

Well, it's been a long time since I've been pregnant...but I am an anxious person myself. Some of your worries are typical/normal. I also remember feeling a little freaked out if I sensed that movement had slowed down or wasn't what I thought it should be. I think that's normal.

I can tell you to relax and don't worry, but it's obviously not your nature.

Just try to keep a few things in mind:

You don't have any high risks (such as placenta previa).
With a healthy pregnancy, such as yours, the female body can do all sorts of things and handle it. Heck, at 9 months I was chasing my dog through the neighborhood at a sprint as she was loose. Millions of women work physical jobs through their pregnancy right up until they end and they are fine if they have good health to begin with. You can do "normal" stuff such as moving light furniture or boxes.

Finally, realize that your are likely feeling anxiety here because this is a situation that you CANNOT control. It will be what it will be. Your thoughts are really about control and the loss of it. Choosing not to do physical things or doing them and fretting about it is an attempt to control the life of the baby--you can't. Just live normally and sensibly and try to let the worrying/control go.
I think this is a GREAT post. Read it. Then read it again, and again, and again, etc etc etc.

Can you do something to distract yourself from all the anxieties? Maybe plan a babymoon? Or throw yourself into decorating the nursery? Or make freezer meals? I'd plan something to look forward to each week. Definitely visit with friends. Your about to get really busy. Congratulations!

It took us 10 years to conceive our son, lots of fertility treatments. To say we were over the moon when that pregnancy test was positive is an understatement. I have generalized anxiety disorder as well. I worried about every little twinge. All of that rooted itself in me with insomnia. I could not sleep at all. Each night I tossed and turned, walked around the house. It was awful. How many pregnant women aren't sleeping, especially the first 3 months...lol. With that being said, most moms to be worry relentlessly and it doesn't end once they are born.

Thank you all for the kind words. I REALLY appreciate it!

I'm going to find a prenatal yoga class and start acupuncture again. I usually manage the anxiety fairly well but the great want for this baby has made me clearly more anxious than is healthy.

I appreciate your stories, kind and more firm words, and support. The DIS can be a wonderful place! :grouphug:

Not really sure, I guess it wouldn't hurt if you didn't go very deep but the pressure increases the deeper you go so I probably wouldn't do it. We didn't start diving until I was in my 40s so it's not something I've even thought about. It wouldn't take any great strength or effort but I just don't know what effect the depths would have and then there is always the risk of doing something silly and getting the bends.

They are getting more and more cautious about the impacts of diving and pressure on developing bodies. Both of my kids are divers, one is 14 and one is 16, and they both started at 10. The "governing" bodies made changes in the diving rules and recommendations even in the 2 years between the 2 kids based on observations around impacts of pressure on children's growth plates. Now, for the most part they're concerned with kids who dive pretty frequently, but they are also concerned with kids who would go to higher depths than advised even a couple of times (I'm talking even 80 - 100 ft). I haven't looked up specific rules around diving while pregnant, but I would think given those rules, that it's probably not recommended at all.

I have two kids and was diagnosed with GAD in high school. It's hard for people who don't have an anxiety disorder to really grasp that it's not always like garden variety new mom anxiety.. If you are having trouble managing your anxiety you need to try the suggestions from the other posters. If they aren't enough you need to see a psychologist ideally one who has experience with prepartum and postpartum depression and who will allow you to bring your baby to appointments. Because of your GAD you are at a greater risk of PPD. I'm not telling you to make your anxiety worse but to make you aware of the importance of getting your anxiety in check.

After my first baby was born my anxiety went into overdrive and I ended up suffering from PPD. Luckily my dh and midwife recognized the signs and made me go see a psychologist who specializes in PPD. It made a world of difference and I was able to use what I learned to have a much less stressful second pregnancy and to not have PPD the second time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter