• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mondays at the park are bad. Bad!

We park hopped from DCA to DL last Wednesday at 10:45 and DL entry last nes were very long. They went all the way back into the DCA lines. It was crazy!

We went the opposite direction- from DL to DCA--- can't remember exactly what time, but think it was probably between 10 and 11, as I know we had lunch at DCA. It was crazy! I have not seen the lines that long to get to DCA except for when you get there right at rope drop and the lines are backed up from people waiting to get in. In fact, I'm not sure we have ever been in line that far back at rope drop even when we got there right at opening and were behind the early birds.

Last week there was a Scentsy convention, which is why i think the wait times were so insane. I was at DCA until close last Thursday and incredicoaster, guardians, and RSR were all still 100+ minutes long...so crazy. And DCA was totally out of fastpasses. I've never seen the entire park completely run out before.

Wednesday was insane-- and we did have a CM tell us they thought it was because they had some conventions come in that day and everyone was hitting the parks before their meetings started Thursday. I am well aware of the Scentsy convention. We had the misfortune of flying out of SNA Sunday night when they were all leaving. DD and I are both very allergic to Scentsy and it was a nightmare flight. Our plane was full of people leaving the convention. Those people reeked. Their carry on bags reeked. They had a cloud of smell around them. We sat down in the waiting area and had to move because the smell was so strong from the people we sat by. Then we got in an enclosed plane with them-- had our air going full blast but the smell was still overwhelming. Luckily it was the short hour leg of our flight. I made it about 40 minutes before I started coughing uncontrollably and my chest got all tight and my nose got stuffy. DD's sinuses started really bothering her about 30 minutes in and as a result her ear popping was really bad. DH, who is not allergic started coughing. A guy across the row from us and up a row was coughing. A lady three rows up was coughing. We heard other coughing. We had about two hours between connections and our second leg was two hours and when we got home the scent was still firmly entrenched in our hair and clothes. It was awful. Sorry to any of you disers who might be scentsy reps-- but for people with allergies that stuff can be awful and we had a plane full of it.

We left DCA around 6pm last Wednesday. It was the busiest I have personally ever seen the parks. Never been around Christmas/New Years tho.

I absolutely agree. We left around 3:00 or 3:30. The first couple of hours were great, but by about 10:00 a.m it got insane and it stayed that way or worse until we left. We have been to WDW the week between Christmas and New Years, and this felt worse crowd-wise-- but I think that was because it was hot on top of being crowded.

We were there from afternoon on Thursday 6/28 through afternoon on Monday, July 2, and I fully agree - BUSY MONDAY! That said, we had a super start to the day rope-dropping at DCA and did plenty there before our character breakfast. Our breakfast went way longer than anticipated, and, when we got back into DL (took the monorail), it was CRAZY busy. Practically unmaneuverable. Fortunately, we hadn't really planned to do much except ride a couple of MP attractions we'd booked and getting caricatures of our girls done. If we'd planned to be later in the parks than we were, it would have been awful.

We are going in late August and had planned to be in the parks Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Monday, with Saturday being a non-park day. At the recommendation of others on another thread, I'm thinking of making our ticket a 5 day PH instead of 4, and spending part of Saturday at the park and just a little bit on Monday. With Monday being our last day before flying home on Tuesday, I hate to not visit the park at all. Are evenings a little better on Monday's than the daytime hours?

....it depends on the valuable observation you make on why you are there on MOnday.....how many folks flying out on Tuesday? How many of those folks flying out are putting the children to bed early monday night to catch an early flight, how many are going to burn the midnight oil on Monday because they don't leave till early afternoon or sleep in till noon , check out and spend time in DTD. All I can remember was the Monday morning, my first morning, crush of people entering Disneyland and it stayed that way till I left back to lodging. I recall evenings being better, but then that fireworks sitting, NOS attractions and riding the train.

There was a Scentsy convention as well as a Dance competition, we were there Monday as well. Tuesday and Wednesday were better.

We were there last week - our first family trip to DL - and noticed the same thing about cast members. Many were rude, snippy, and dismissive.

Maybe with their new raise they'll be less snippy? It has been hot and crowded, I imagine that might be part of it.

We are going in late August and had planned to be in the parks Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Monday, with Saturday being a non-park day. At the recommendation of others on another thread, I'm thinking of making our ticket a 5 day PH instead of 4, and spending part of Saturday at the park and just a little bit on Monday. With Monday being our last day before flying home on Tuesday, I hate to not visit the park at all. Are evenings a little better on Monday's than the daytime hours?

Saturdays have actually been one of the better days to visit in the last couple years. They have block outs, single day tickets are more pricey, and people assume they're busy so don't go.

And still, Fantasmic! is not offered on Monday evenings in the fall.

That is standard for non-peak/low season -- during low season, fireworks and F! move to weekends only (Fri., Sat.., Sun.). Generally, low season starts the last week of August, with an exception for Labor Day Weekend.

With Monday being your last day in the parks, I think you'll have an easier time than someone who will be starting their visit on that day. You'll have a good feel for the parks by that time and already will have done most/all of what you wanted to do. By Monday, you be doing re-rides of favorites, trying to see shows and parades, have a much more relaxed pace than you did on the earlier days of your trip, etc. You'll have a good grip on MP by that time, should you choose to purchase it that day. Just go in prepared for crowds, hit the park early to get the most done in the morning hours. Plan for breaks in the afternoon (how about a TS reservation somewhere you've wanted to dine? or a dining package reservation?). Then finish out your night however you choose. If you're prepared for crowds and it is very crowded, advantage to you -- you'll be mentally ready. If the crowds aren't so bad, great! Take advantage of it! Have a fun trip!

Are the published crowd calendars accurate? We are getting into LA on August 10, spending some time with family for the 10th and 11th, and heading the DL/DCA starting on the 12th with 5 day park hoppers. Was planning on Sun, Mon, Tues, Thursday, Friday, with Wednesday as an off day, but maybe I should reconsider Sunday in the park, off Monday, and then Tuesday through Friday? Flying home on the 18th.

I wish I could get a 6 day park hopper, to even just use a couple of hours on monday, and if it's bad, leave...

That is standard for non-peak/low season -- during low season, fireworks and F! move to weekends only (Fri., Sat.., Sun.). Generally, low season starts the last week of August, with an exception for Labor Day Weekend.
That's sort of my point. It seems, based on this post, that Mondays are peak times and just as busy as the weekends. Regardless, I was hoping they would add midweek F! shows while WoC is down, but the schedule indicates they are not.

That's sort of my point. It seems, based on this post, that Mondays are peak times and just as busy as the weekends. Regardless, I was hoping they would add midweek F! shows while WoC is down, but the schedule indicates they are not.
Non-peak/low season at DLR does not = low crowds. Some of the busiest times of the year occur during low season, e.g. Halloween Time. Non-peak/low season is more about when Disney schedules ride refurbs and things like that. Since so many of DLR's guests are local and so many are regular visitors (like on a weekly basis), it isn't as easy to gauge distinct seasons of high and low crowds here as it is at WDW. Rather than distinct periods of high and low crowds, it seems that DLR has more flow of very crowded vs. not-as-crowded -- which is why around here we talk more about crowded days vs. not-so-crowded days (thus the title of this thread), and not so much about seasons.

Last edited:
Are the published crowd calendars accurate? We are getting into LA on August 10, spending some time with family for the 10th and 11th, and heading the DL/DCA starting on the 12th with 5 day park hoppers. Was planning on Sun, Mon, Tues, Thursday, Friday, with Wednesday as an off day, but maybe I should reconsider Sunday in the park, off Monday, and then Tuesday through Friday? Flying home on the 18th.

I wish I could get a 6 day park hopper, to even just use a couple of hours on monday, and if it's bad, leave...
I would trade Monday for a Wednesday.

Non-peak/low season at DLR does not = low crowds. Some of the busiest times of the year occur during low season, e.g. Halloween Time. Non-peak/low season is more about when Disney schedules ride refurbs and things like that. Since so many of DLR's guests are local and so many are regular visitors (like on a weekly basis), it isn't as easy to gauge distinct seasons of high and low crowds here as it is at WDW. Rather than distinct periods of high and low crowds, it seems that DLR has more flow of very crowded vs. not-as-crowded -- which is why around here we talk more about crowded days vs. not-so-crowded days (thus the title of this thread), and not so much about seasons.
I should have used my words more carefully. I guess "peak" has a specific meaning when used. I meant to say 'busy,' and I was just arguing that F! should have a show on Monday if that is becoming the busiest day of the week in the parks.

I know people don't love crowd calendars, but here are touringplans "all park" ratings for Sunday-Tuesday dates in July. Mondays are bolded; included a note if there was a difference greater than one in their prediction vs. outcome.

July 1 - 3 (predicted 5)
July 2 - 7
July 3 - 8

July 8 - 3 (predicted 5)
July 9 - 7
July 10 - 7

July 15 - 5
July 16 - 7
July 17 - 7

July 22 - 5 (predicted 7)
July 23 - 9
July 24 - 8

July 29 - 4 (predicted 7)
July 30 - 8
Today, July 31 - Predicted 8

I honestly found this interesting, hope others do as well!

We are going for our first trip in September. We will be there Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I wanted to take one day off to go to the beach. I was thinking Saturday because it would probably be the busiest. Now I'm questioning it after reading this. Should I take Monday off? It's just me and DH.

We are going for our first trip in September. We will be there Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I wanted to take one day off to go to the beach. I was thinking Saturday because it would probably be the busiest. Now I'm questioning it after reading this. Should I take Monday off? It's just me and DH.
It kind of depends which weekend in September, IMO. With Halloweentime/Halloween parties, there can be other things to consider...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter