• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Money and ID during water excursions

ebseckar

Earning My Ears
What do you do with your money, id, birth certificate, KTTW card, etc. during a water excursion?

It depends a little bit on the excursion itself - are you just on a boat or actually going into the water?

When we snorkeled last time it was a part of a DCL group. I had a tote bag with misc. stuff in it like sunscreen, towels, etc. We had one small case like a business card case that our KTTW cards and the little bit of cash we took along tucked into. That went into a zippered compartment inside the tote.

Leave your birth certificate and anything else you really don't need in the safe onboard the ship. What you'll need to reboard is your KTTW card.

Deb

Thanks for the information. So the only time we will need to show our picture id's and birth certificates is when we first get our KTTW card at the port? Then each time we want to get back on the Magic (Western) we only need to show our KTTW card?

Here are a couple of ideas:

You can buy a "dry bag" which is used by people who kayak, etc. It will stay dry even if you spill it in the ocean, although they are not meant to be submerged for long periods.

Below is a link to the REI selection of dry bags.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&cat=4501503&text=1&noheader=1&stat=7624c

The solution my wife and I settled on is double bagged ziploc bags. They'll absolutely protect from splashes, and if you fill them with air will float as well.

Walt

You can buy a hard plastic dry box at a dive shop or on the ship. It will hold you KTTW, ID's, cash or credit cards. It has a string to go around you neck. I tied it to my bathing suit and wore our valuble items out in the water while snorkeling. I wouldn't leave id's or cards on the beaches.

You can also find a variety of waterproof cases and wallets.

I can recommend the Witz See-it Safe , and other Witz Dry Boxes . There's also a small waterproof pouch you can hang around your neck, just large enough for a passport, money, credit cards, etc. You can see that here , there's also the Otter boxes that come in many different sizes, including very small for credit cards, etc.

Have fun!

Mark

I just bought a new speedo swimsuit (trunks actually not a "speedo" suit) and they came with a heavy duty, clear plastic, ziplock type pocket that was attached to the inside of the rear pocket with a bungie type cord. The rear pocket also zips so that the clear plastic pocket won't come out while you are in the water. It seems like it will work great for KTTW card and some cash for excursions.

So the only time we will need to show our picture id's and birth certificates is when we first get our KTTW card at the port? Then each time we want to get back on the Magic (Western) we only need to show our KTTW card?

If you are over 18 years of age, you will be expected to show both photo ID and your room key to board the ship when it is in port. You need proof of citizenship (birth certificate & DL or passport) when you check in at the port, but you need your key and photo ID to re-board the ship. You can leave your birth certificate in the safe after you board, but don't forget to bring you ID whenever you leave the ship.

We bought a cheap waterproof case in the ship's gift shop. I think I paid about $5 for it. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes, but maybe half as thin. It can hold some cash, KTTW cards, drivers licenses, and credit cards. It comes with a lanyard, so you can wear it around your neck. It works fine and keeps everything dry and safe. They also sell a thicker one if you have more stuff to keep.

We did as Senor describes. The little cases they sell in the gift shop were the perfect size. The one risk is that your cards can get de-magnetized, but we made sure that the ones with mag strips never touched and had no problem. We even bought one for DD8, she felt like a real big girl carrying her own KTTW card.

I also brought these cool beach knapsacks from Gap that have a net bottom so the sand and water just kind of sift out. I got one for each of us, and they were perfect on our excursions.

I searched on the internet and found an ID supplier that sold me zip top clear plastic card holders that attatch to a cheep lanyard... we had a group of 19 and loved these things... the kids were able to always have their card and anything else they needed, when they took them off they were easy for a parent to put around their neck or tie to the strap of a bag or backpack and tuck inside...

Originally posted by JODIELYN
I searched on the internet and found an ID supplier that sold me zip top clear plastic card holders that attatch to a cheep lanyard... we had a group of 19 and loved these things... the kids were able to always have their card and anything else they needed, when they took them off they were easy for a parent to put around their neck or tie to the strap of a bag or backpack and tuck inside...

Care to share the address of the website where you found them?

Thanks,

Mark

Walmart also carries the cheap lanyards. They have a small pocket to slip a card into and a plastic zipper pouch on the back. They are in the wallet section & I picked ours up for $0.99.

Originally posted by SeattleMark
Care to share the address of the website where you found them?

Thanks,

Mark

Let me do just a bit of searching... i need to remember... sorry...
Jodie

I just tried to post and it would let me, so I'm not sure where it went!

I got card holder at a sports store. It's a little bigger than the disney ones. It held dl, money and the KTTW card. It was waterproof and floated. Be careful if you snorkel, I pulled mine off with the vest and didn't realize it. I panicked for a few minutes, but I found it down near the water covered in sand. I think I'll safety pin it to my suit next time.

thanks for the info everyone. this is something i was needing to know also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter