Monorail rumor

Doesn't this include the trains and the stations in the 1.6 billion. 378 cars and 17 stations would be a significant part of the cost. 2 million a car is 756 million and stations is anyone's guess, say 5 million each, so total for cars and stations is about half the cost of the extension. So that leaves 15 miles at 800 million or about 53 million a mile.
That’s still not cheap by any means.

Doesn't this include the trains and the stations in the 1.6 billion. 378 cars and 17 stations would be a significant part of the cost. 2 million a car is 756 million and stations is anyone's guess, say 5 million each, so total for cars and stations is about half the cost of the extension. So that leaves 15 miles at 800 million or about 53 million a mile.
That’d be why they’re building a gondola instead

I still think 53 million is too high. Monorails are becoming more popular around the world and Bombardier seems to be the choice company. They are building China's first monorail in Wuhu city for 270 million which includes 240 cars, 28 miles of track and 36 stations. Labor is cheaper in China is something that factors into this but I still say less than 53 million. Even if the 270 was just for new track that's 1 million a mile. Disney would be all over this if it was that low. I wish I knew more about the industry.

Edit: I found out more info. The 270 million is for the 240 cars and the use of the 300 series platform. Sounds like they are licensing the technology and the Chinese are building the track themselves. The actual estimated cost of the whole project is 2.3 billion. So 270 million for 240 cars with the license would be about 1 million a car. The 29 miles of track and stations are 2 billion. This project also has an underground station. So it still puts the estimates at 50 million a mile. Disney will replace trains and will not add anymore track is my final answer.

Last edited:

I'm not sure. But considering just about every transportation or infrastructure project in Brazil for the World Cup or Summer Olympics ran at least 25% over budget, I'm having a hard time believing this monorail, that is 5 years behind schedule and had a partial collapse just before the World Cup, is on schedule to finish on a budget first announced back in 2008 or so. But I can't find any updated numbers either, just references to the original contract.

The Disney News Show on Youtube has posted that Disney may be reaching out to monorail manufacturers and states that this could be due to the malfunction of Monorail Red's door. They are saying that Disney maybe considering purchase of new cars for the system or a complete re-build of all the existing cars
At this point I am going to go on a limb and say that the likely bidders are Bombardier and Hitachi/Breda.

I personally think, any monorail as we know it is a thing of the past. While we certainly could see train like transportation in the future, it won't be a "monorail".

When the skyliner rumor broke, there was credible rumors suggesting some other non bus transport from animal kingdom or animal kingdom lodge. It was suppose to be something other than a gondola. Haven't heard much more on that. Any thing substantive come out of that more recently?

I personally think, any monorail as we know it is a thing of the past. While we certainly could see train like transportation in the future, it won't be a "monorail".

When the skyliner rumor broke, there was credible rumors suggesting some other non bus transport from animal kingdom or animal kingdom lodge. It was suppose to be something other than a gondola. Haven't heard much more on that. Any thing substantive come out of that more recently?
agree, I remember that as well, it was somewhat substantiated by Martin and Magic Feather at WDWMagic.com , but nothing further on it since the original discussion when the Gondola was still rumor.

When you say "thing of the past", do you mean any new monorails or do are your referring to changes to the existing monorail?

Disney would have to have something to replace monorail transportation at the resorts in order to get rid of them. Until then they won't be a thing of the past. They can't be. The transposition capacity is needed and it justifies the high prices for rooms at te monorail resorts.

Disney would have to have something to replace monorail transportation at the resorts in order to get rid of them. Until then they won't be a thing of the past. They can't be. The transposition capacity is needed and it justifies the high prices for rooms at te monorail resorts.
I disagree that the monorail justifies the high cost of those rooms. It is part of the reason the rooms cost so much but I would never pay full price for those rooms simply because they are on the monorail.

I disagree that the monorail justifies the high cost of those rooms. It is part of the reason the rooms cost so much but I would never pay full price for those rooms simply because they are on the monorail.

It is one of the reasons they charge what they charge. When the gondalas open I'm sure all those resorts are going to get a rate hike.

If I'm not mistaken, a portion of every single WDW room charge goes toward the overall transportation costs and that the monorail resorts are not individually responsible for the costs of the monorail system.

If I'm not mistaken, a portion of every single WDW room charge goes toward the overall transportation costs and that the monorail resorts are not individually responsible for the costs of the monorail system.

Well, as a DVC member, as I see you are, I can tell you that my dues at at BWV, BCV, AKV, and SSR do not help pay for the monorail.....

Does anyone know who manufactured the new monorail cars at MCO airport? I just used them on my last flight and they are very nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter