• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Monterey Aquarium?

diswedwish

DIS Veteran
How is it? How does it compare to the Baltimore Aquarium? In the process of planning our honeymoon:goodvibes. We'll be in Pacific Grove for a night and San Francisco for 2 days (out of a 2 week trip) and I wasn't sure whether or not it would be worth a stop.

Thanks!!

I have been to both and I like the Monterey Aquarium better.

I can't put my finger on an exact reason, but there it is---my opinion!;)

Cathy

The Monterey Aquarium is unique in that one of its main purposes is to educate not necessarily entertain. Its an amazing place IMO, I could spend hours staring at the kelp swaying back and forth.

I love the Monterey Bay Aquarium (MBA) and have been going there for years. I think I've been to the New England Aquarium once, but it's been several years. I liked the aquarium I visisted, but remember thinking that MBA had more diversity of animals and more information.

At the MBA, there is a heavy focus on the animals that are native to the area (like the Sea Otter), but they've been expanding to include many international exhibits (like the penguins). My family goes several times a year and always has a good time. If you're in the area and like aquariums, I would make the time for a visit.

Here is the link to their website:
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/

In summary I think the monterey bay aquarium is what all other aquariums want to be.

The Monterey Aquarium is a lot different than the Baltimore Aquarium. I have pictures in my Yosemite trip report below. It is definitely worth a visit.

I did not care for the National Aquarium in Baltimore. It's small, and IMO wasn't very impressive. But I also thought similarly about the Georgia Aquarium (although the Whale Shark was neat to see). However I'm biased as I grew up very close to Monterey and went to the aquarium yearly. Monterey is much larger, and showcases different ocean ecosystems. It's definitely worth the trip. Just be sure to purchase your tickets in advance or first thing in the morning.

It's ok but I was disappointed. I had it hyped to thinking it was going to be so much more. I have been to the Chicago Shedd Aquarium and thought it was much better. You can't beat the location though. Monterey is gorgeous. I would have rather went down to Carmel and strolled along the shops. My wife and I concur that there are much better things to do in Monterey. Good luck.

I enjoy the monterey aquarium. It has sea horses and jelly fish. Sea otters. They is alot to see in Monterey and Carmel. I love 17 mile dr. The cost is 9.50through the gate and then make a stop at pebble beach and go out on the 18th hole. I love taking whale watching trips as well. Congrats on your marriage and have a great honeymoon.

It's ok but I was disappointed. I had it hyped to thinking it was going to be so much more. I have been to the Chicago Shedd Aquarium and thought it was much better. You can't beat the location though. Monterey is gorgeous. I would have rather went down to Carmel and strolled along the shops. My wife and I concur that there are much better things to do in Monterey. Good luck.
Not being snarky, I promise. What were you expecting? Why were you disappointed?
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is known for being unique in educating the public not entertaining them, that is one of its selling points. I am sorry you were disappointed, I have been to several aquariums all over the country and I think the Monterey Bay Aquarium is the best overall, but I went knowing I was going to learn things about the local species not just be wowed by tanks of pretty fish.

Not being snarky, I promise. What were you expecting? Why were you disappointed?
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is known for being unique in educating the public not entertaining them, that is one of its selling points. I am sorry you were disappointed, I have been to several aquariums all over the country and I think the Monterey Bay Aquarium is the best overall, but I went knowing I was going to learn things about the local species not just be wowed by tanks of pretty fish.

I think I was going in expecting a "wow" factor. Don't get me wrong it was nice but not great in my opinion. There was alot of dead space when we went last novemeber. I was expecting shark tanks and other exhibits. And yes I like to be entertained, thus the big Disney fan! :) There was some great educational areas but there has to be a better balance I think. I think there was more tanks coming as there was a major expansion in the works. Again just my opinion. I have only been to one other (Shedd in Chicago). We also did the 17 mile drive, hung out on cannery row, went to Pebble Beach clubhouse, and drove around Carmel. The whole area is gorgeous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter