Monterey- worth the extra time and effort?

Ashlotte

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
We are driving from Portland to Disneyland this August, and are planning to take I-5 south from Portland through Oregon, then over to the coast beginning in Crescent City to see the Redwoods, and down to San Francisco. At this point, the trip gets muddled. Do we head to Disneyland after visiting San Francisco, or do we continue south to Monterey and then head over? Going to Monterey would add an additional 2.5 hours in the car, which is why I am considering ruling it out. My husband keeps saying he wants to see the beach because he hears it is pretty.

Is it THAT pretty? We go to the coast in Oregon several times a year and during our trip we will have just spent four days at the Oregon coast the weekend before. Is it remarkable different than what we are used to, or what we might see along 101 from Crescent City to San Francisco? Is it worth the extra time and money? The aquarium there sounds cool, but we have been to the one at the Oregon Coast and the one in Maui, so it won't be a completely novel experience for us.

The route home will be a straight shot (with sleeping) back up I-5.

Would love input from people that are familiar with Monterey and Oregon. Thanks!

This is really a tough one. We think Monterey is gorgeous. We have stayed at a hotel called Sanctuary Beach Resort which is just North of Monterey by about 5 miles. It is lovely there. We have been to 17 mile drive, Pebble Beach golf course, Monterey Bay Aquarium, etc..

I have also been to Canon Beach in Oregon. They are both gorgeous in their own ways. The views from the Pebble Beach Golf Course Clubhouse are amazing for sure and Carmel by the Sea is very nice.

How long do you plan on staying in Monterey if drive those 2.5 hours? If its just an afternoon then I wouldn't do it. We did it that way and were not impressed at all. It needs a few days to fully enjoy its beauty and take it all in.

Hope this helps or if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Seeing as I'm from there and miss it terribly, I think it is def. worth it, but like the pp, I am wondering how long you plan on being there? Would you consider an overnight

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is one of the best, if not the best aquariums in the world and I've been to many. They all pale in comparisson. Cannery Row and downtown Monterey can be touristy, but fun. It is pretty cool seeing all of the old buildings and learning about Mexico/California history.

Driving along Lover's Point into Pebble Beach and 17 Mile Drive is beautiful and it used to be if you ate at the Tap Room in Pebble you didn't have to pay the gate fee. Someone may know if that is still true.

Carmel Beach is beautiful with soft, clean white sand, though when we visit we go to the small Lover's Point beach in Pacific Grove because it's great for little ones and we have a 3 year old.

If you are driving down 101 instead of I-5 you could always take in the sites and take Highway 1 until you hit 101. It takes a tiny bit longer but the views are AMAZING. Nothing can compare to it. Big Sur is not to be missed IMO. Nepenthe is a great place to stop and eat.

If you have any more questions just let me know. We just got back from a visit home and drove back and forth from the Monterey Peninsula to So. Cal so it's fresh in my mind.

We did half this trip a couple years ago. We drove from Portland to Creasent City the first night. We then drove to San Francisco and stayed several nights. We went down to Carmel/Monterey for a day trip. I would say I was glad I did it, but if you are on a time crunch (limit car time) I would save it for another time. Though I felt the aquarium was better than the one in Newport, it wasn't significantly better.

Driving along Lover's Point into Pebble Beach and 17 Mile Drive is beautiful and it used to be if you ate at the Tap Room in Pebble you didn't have to pay the gate fee. Someone may know if that is still true.

Still true, if you are a hotel guest or have dining reservations, the gate entrance fee is waived. The guard will call the restaurant if your name is not on their list.

OP, I lived in Oregon and been up and down the coast on drives from SF to Seattle. I would say that Monterrey is one of the nicer beaches. It is calm, clean, not too cold or windy and the weather always seems to give you beautiful sunsets. The Monterrey Bay Aquarium is world known and I would say better than the one in Newport, OR.

According to Google maps, SF to Anaheim is about 6 hours, and adding a side drive to Monterrey, makes the total trip 7.5 hours. That's not too bad of a side trip. You would need a full day here to see the aquarium and see the beach/ocean, though.

I think you had an earlier thread about the drive from Portland to Disneyland, so sounds like you are going the Crescent City/Redwoods route. You'll see some beautiful beaches along the way from the Redwoods to SF.

I have to agree with everyone Monterey beaches are beautiful. We live in San Jose which is 1.5 hours and love to visit Monterey. I have been to the aquarium and it is the best I have been to so far. We also have been to Cannery Row (which is a shopping/restaurant) area and also Fishermans Warf. I have also drove along Lovers point which is absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't miss it if you have a day or so to experience it. The drive along Highway 1 where Big Sur is a beautiful scenic drive as well.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is one of the best, if not the best aquariums in the world and I've been to many. They all pale in comparisson. Cannery Row and downtown Monterey can be touristy, but fun. It is pretty cool seeing all of the old buildings and learning about Mexico/California history.

Driving along Lover's Point into Pebble Beach and 17 Mile Drive is beautiful

Carmel Beach is beautiful with soft, clean white sand, though when we visit we go to the small Lover's Point beach in Pacific Grove because it's great for little ones and we have a 3 year old.

Yes, all of this! Exactly! OP, I agree w/ pps that if you can spare the time (an overnight would be ideal) you will not be disappointed. The drive is breathtakingly beautiful and the beaches and aquarium are not to be missed. On the topic of West Coast aquariums, Long Beach is pretty phenomenal too. Obviously not this trip since you have more than enough on your itinerary, but just an fyi for your *next* trip. ;)

We love Monterey - great aquarium and fun town. But if aquariums are what you like, and your already going to SF, why not try the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. Lovely aquarium (I actually like it better than Monterey) as well as a great planetarium and a very cool rainforest biosphere.

We love the beaches too - a great day hike, South of Monterey, is Point Lobos Ecological Preserve. In my eyes, a highlight of any trip.

When in August is your trip? If you would be in the Monterey area any where near the week of August 11-18, DO NOT go to Monterey. This is 'car week' comprised of a multitude of automotive gatherings and events culminating in the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance (kinda like the Superbowl of Car Shows...) the weekend of the 17/18.
Although many of these events are awesome- especially the Historic auto races at Laguna Seca Raceway outside Monterey- the traffic and crowds in the area are horrendous during this time period.

Monterey is a beautiful area and they do have nice beaches. If you are spending the day there, decide if a visit to the aquarium is worth it. You could easily see everything in two to three hours. In town is Dennis the Menace park. It is a fun playground where kids (and grownups) can have a great time exploring all the playground equipment. They have some giant slides.
If what you really want to see is the beach, like other posters have said, you will see a lot of beaches from Crescent City to San Francisco. You could stop at Fort Bragg's Glass Beach for a bit, that one has a neat history. Mendocino is also very nice but a bit out of the way. (It isn't directly off of 101.)

Hi, could you tell me what the weather will be like in mid November? We are planning a week in San Fran, flying into San jose and want to rent a a car for a few days to see that area? Planning on driving back to San Fran on a Tuesday am. Would love to hear the not to miss things in the area.
thanks

We live in Monterey and its pretty fantastic so I say yes! Dont miss it.
Our dont miss things are lovers point, 17mile drive and continue on to hwy 1 and drive down to Big Sur. Pfeiffer beach (Its a purple sand beach) is our favorite beach in the area. Go another 15mins to McWay Falls. It seriously one of the most beautiful places Ive ever seen.

November is typically high 50's-60's and pretty clear/dry. In Monterey you're biggest concern will be fog and wind so layer, layer, layer. And it can change within minutes or be night and day just going a few miles away.

I live on the Monterey Peninsula and would say it's worth the time. Monterey offers Cannery Row where the aquarium is and generally where the tourists go. There are some nice beaches but you can also drive out of Monterey along coast thru Pacific Grove and into Pebble Beach which is where the 17 mile drive is. It's absolutely breathtaking. Don't forget about Carmel, well specifically Carmel by the Sea which has one of the world's most beautiful beaches and I think nicer than the ones in Monterey. Carmel by the Sea has a lot of shops, art galleries and great, great restaurants. If you want to follow Highway 1 all the way to your destination, you can keep going past Carmel and into Big Sur area. Traffic is slower, it will take longer. But definitely beautiful.

How bad of a drive would it be on Route 17 from San Jose to Santa Cruz and then continue on route 1 to Monterey/Carmel. Reading that 17 can be a nightmare. Will be traveling on a Monday 11/11 which is Veterans Day holiday. Worried about traffic and fog through the mountain's and near the ocean.

would appreciate any advice

YES!!! Monterey and the surrounding area is my favorite place on Earth. Seriously. There are several areas near Monterey not to miss. Point Lobos is amazing, the Aquarium is top notch, and the Elkhorn Slough is so peaceful. If you continue south, the drive down PCH1 is something you won't regret. Photos of Bixby Bridge, McWay Falls, and Pfeiffer Big Sur Park where you can see some redwoods up close and personal are highlights.

I highly recommend you visit this area.

Just giving this a bump. Still looking for some advice about the traffic and driving conditions

thanks

As I replied in your other thread- fog so low and heavy to interfere with driving is not the norm here (though some sections between Santa Cruz and Monterey can get foggy, Hwy 1 is pretty straight there, not bad at all.).

The 17 can back up on weekends/holidays but its not that horrible. If you aren't planning to do anything in Santa Cruz though, I would just take 101 down to the 156W out to Hwy 1 just north of Monterey. The 1 between Santa Cruz and the 156 is nothing special- mostly coastal farm lands and a big powerplant. The beautiful sections of the 1 are south of Monterey and north of Santa Cruz (then again north of SF but I don't think you're going that far).

Overall, I think you are stressing about the traffic/driving a bit too much :)

If you are worried about traffic and fog, just drive in the day. It is not that bad. Just take your time, and you will find that your fears will ease as you drive there. I understand it can be frustrating if you are not familiar with the area and how things are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter