Moonlight Magic AK for July

So, I am trying to figure this out. I had the que open prior to 11:00 a.m. When it entered me into the que, I literally was at 9,500. Does anyone know how they put you into the que.

Also, I believe the membership benefit is open to only DVC members who have a qualifying reservation on that night and are a direct member. So if there are 10 DVC resorts in Orlando and let's assume each property has an average of 500 rooms. I am sure someone knows the exact number number. So that is a total is 5,000 rooms. How does someone wind up upon entering the que at #9,500 -immediately at 11:00 a.m. I can understand the tickets selling out if what I am reading is it's the capacity of the room. I thought it was a limited number per member. Clearly not the case

What am I missing about understanding the number of eligible members in the que.
Because anyone can click on the link and join the queue, even someone rando who lives in Siberia or is stationed at the South Pole. The system doesn't have any idea who you are until you get to the actual registration page and it asks for your member number. Plus, many people will log on using multiple (even numerous) devices in an effort to increase their odds of getting a low number, given that numbers are assigned randomly.

Because anyone can click on the link and join the queue, even someone rando who lives in Siberia or is stationed at the South Pole. The system doesn't have any idea who you are until you get to the actual registration page and it asks for your member number. Plus, many people will log on using multiple (even numerous) devices in an effort to increase their odds of getting a low number, given that numbers are assigned randomly.
Tip for the future. Thank you!

Tip for the future. Thank you!
Keep in mind, if a member has logged in on, say, 5 or 6 devices, they are only going to use the lowest number they receive and the higher numbers will just drop off when they come up to the front of the line and aren't used within the 5 minutes you are given to enter your membership number. Until they do drop off, they occupy space in the queue even if no one uses the slot. Same goes for any numbers assigned to people who don't qualify for Membership Extras. Those queue slots will also fall off. So your relative place in the "real" queue is what matters. The benefit really comes with multiple log in devices, and the increased possibility of being assigned a lower number.

So, I am trying to figure this out. I had the que open prior to 11:00 a.m. When it entered me into the que, I literally was at 9,500. Does anyone know how they put you into the que.

Also, I believe the membership benefit is open to only DVC members who have a qualifying reservation on that night and are a direct member. So if there are 10 DVC resorts in Orlando and let's assume each property has an average of 500 rooms. I am sure someone knows the exact number number. So that is a total is 5,000 rooms. How does someone wind up upon entering the que at #9,500 -immediately at 11:00 a.m. I can understand the tickets selling out if what I am reading is it's the capacity of the room. I thought it was a limited number per member. Clearly not the case

What am I missing about understanding the number of eligible members in the que.
One other thing to remember is that I believe you can have an on-property reservation in a non-DVC (cash) resort and still be eligible for early registration as long as you are DVC-Y. And I’ve read reports of numerous people on the same membership each having numerous devices going for the queue so you are talking a possibility of 5 or more devices for the same group trying to get in.

As far as how the queue is assigned, I think that is truly random. For the marathon, my laptop had the best number and got me in at least 15-20 minutes earlier than my phone or iPad would have. It’s pretty new so I thought that was the trick. Today that same laptop had almost the same queue number as my much older iPad, both in the 7000s, and it was my phone on data not Wifi, that got me in. 🤷‍♀️

That’s a good question lol. I end up with ridiculous numbers every time.

My point remains. Every time we have one of these event reservations and someone invariably and inevitably gets shut out and asks on message boards, Facebook, Reddit, whatever if anyone has any “extra” tickets, there will be some non-zero number of responders affirming that they do have extras and querying as to how many are needed. Immediately after the event sells out.
Omg you’re so right. It happens on social media in groups, but the admins shut them down. On a few I did a little digging and noticed a lot of resale buyers saying they got shut out. Most will post, you can try again on general booking day. But, yes it’s the same pattern every event. I even started recognizing the same people requesting every event, heck, some are probably not even members. since I’m already in the park, I would only give away unused tickets if the person could get into the park first and meet me because I’m not waiting at the gate as an AP holder. I only had 2 extra one event when our friends had to cancel last minute.

My point being that you can throw any names on the reservation. I can add sisters, brothers in law, nieces or nephews. None of whom are phantom, but none of whom are confirmed (or even likely) to go.

I'm not sure why you are personalizing a general question. My question wasn’t about you or anyone else in particular, it was a general curiosity about how people can offer to give up “extra” tickets within hours of registration closing. That is a fact, regardless of whether other people intend to use all of their slots or not. No one said you were adding phony guests. No one suggested you (or anyone else in particular) were running up the reservations or hoarding slots, and no one would have been the wiser or cared either way, because what you do is not what we were talking about.

But, at the risk of being repetitive, there are people who clearly have extra tickets shortly after making their MM reservations (as in the same day or within several days) and adding a few random names to a reservation that can easily be modified later is a rather low bar, whether you intend to invite specific folks along or just want a few extra tickets “just in case”. That may not represent your booking habits, but no one ever suggested it was.

Since you had quoted me again, I assumed you wanted an answer.

I think people asking for them in the thread were more doing it, not to assume people had them now, but that might find out later they do

My personal situation was meant to give an example of how potential extra tickets can indeed be available even the first day.

I am sure there are people who do book with extra not having anyone in mind but again, can’t say it bothers me if they do because there are always DVC people to share them with, even strangers.

Last edited:

I am sure there are people who do book with extra not having anyone in mind but again, can’t say it bothers me if they do because there are always DVC people to share them with, even strangers.
We had an extra ticket and helped a DVC family from Pennsylvania that was cobbling together tickets to get their visiting family of four in.

Omg you’re so right. It happens on social media in groups, but the admins shut them down. On a few I did a little digging and noticed a lot of resale buyers saying they got shut out. Most will post, you can try again on general booking day. But, yes it’s the same pattern every event. I even started recognizing the same people requesting every event, heck, some are probably not even members. since I’m already in the park, I would only give away unused tickets if the person could get into the park first and meet me because I’m not waiting at the gate as an AP holder. I only had 2 extra one event when our friends had to cancel last minute.
I don’t doubt what you‘re saying is true, but here is our situation.

We have had our membership since 2001, BLUE card. We’ve never attended a MM event and are staying at a MK DVC - I don’t feel comfortable saying which one. I can understand your suspicion but we 100% qualify - I even called MS yesterday to verify we were all set - and today only had one device and got SHUT OUT.

Last edited:
I don’t doubt what your saying is true, but here is our situation.

We have had our membership since 2001, BLUE card. We’ve never attended a MM event and are staying at a MK DVC - I don’t feel comfortable saying which one. I can understand your suspicion but we 100% qualify - I even called MS yesterday to verify we were all set - and today only had one device and got SHUT OUT.
Maybe just try for the next event

I think people asking for them in the thread were more doing it, not to assume people had them now, but that might find out later they do
It’s not the people asking that I wonder about. I have zero doubt they are legitimately hoping someone can help them out. No issue with that at all. I’m also not suggesting those asking assumed any were available now. They’re simply asking now because they didn’t get them now. I suppose, like in everything else these days, there could be some habitual "missers-out", but that wasn't the intent of my original musing.

Once again, I’m just curious about the people who seem to have the extra slots "right now".

If someone grabs a ticket for Uncle Joe and it turns out an hour after they grabbed the ticket that Uncle Joe can’t go, I’m going to have a really hard time buying that they couldn’t determine if Uncle Joe was going to go or not an hour BEFORE they grabbed the ticket (or in the several thousand hours that passed between the announcement and registration opening). Now, Uncle Joe cancelling a day or two before the event? 100% plausible. An hour after registration closes? Maybe not so plausible.

In your case it sounds like it might take days or weeks for you to fully exhaust all of your options before your extras might become available, but you at least have a short list of folks you hope will go, and that you've probably already asked if they'd like to go if you can get tickets. There's a difference in there. It's one thing to have a solid list of friends and family that have shown interest and who will fill slots organically, versus simply grabbing as many tickets as you can, maybe working to fill them or not, then letting the extras go unused.

I'm also not suggesting that ticket hoarding is some rampant "abuse" of the system, just wondering aloud how many people are shut out because of members taking more tickets than they actually need (for whatever reason or excuse), and how many people who are shut out but subsequently find tickets, would be saved the stress and aggravation and possible heartache if the tickets they eventually get were available to them up front.

Anyway, time to move on.

Last edited:
I don’t doubt what your saying is true, but here is our situation.

I wish you luck in the next sign up. Maybe you’ll get a low number and can get in on the second chance. In our family, the adults all try with their smart phones. I was lucky my friend in NC got a low number because we didn’t. I just texted her my info and she registered for me. It certainly takes a village to get into these events.

Well. It bothers me.
I imagine a parent or 2 who have gotten time approved off of work, and have their vacation plans set, hoping to save a days theme park ticket cost . Or just to take their family of 1 , 2 , or 8 to enjoy a member event.

then you have some wishy washy people who can’t commit, so you just reserve the max amount you are allowed, in case they want to go. They may even be florida pass holders who can go anytime.

randomly gifting admission is not the same as a family ( or single) who planned a trip, paid for tickets, reserved a car, took time off of work, around possibly getting into moonlight magic.
also when gifted to random strangers, I’m sure there is more than “thank you” involved.

also when gifted to random strangers, I’m sure there is more than “thank you” involved.
I guess I'm naive. But, I cannot imagine anyone taking $ for their extra tickets. I gave 2 extras to someone on disboards (who was desperate for 2 more tickets) when 2 family members (who lived in Orlando) could not go with us. It was a bit of a pain, we had to all meet and be there together to get wrist bands vs. just going when we felt like it. It never occurred to me to ask/accept anything from a fellow DVC member.

It never occurred to me to ask/accept anything from a fellow DVC member.
Just to be clear, the tickets don't have to be given/sold to a fellow DVC member since the ticket holder would be the DVC member checking them in.

Though you nor I would ever sell these tickets, unfortunately I am sure there is the possibility of someone out there who would. Such is the world we live in today. And these tickets are just a step down in demand from Taylor Swift tickets. 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: ldo
I guess I'm naive. But, I cannot imagine anyone taking $ for their extra tickets. I gave 2 extras to someone on disboards (who was desperate for 2 more tickets) when 2 family members (who lived in Orlando) could not go with us. It was a bit of a pain, we had to all meet and be there together to get wrist bands vs. just going when we felt like it. It never occurred to me to ask/accept anything from a fellow DVC member.
Me neither and to be honest. I can’t imagine that is happening. My guess is that people who have extra tickets, for whatever reason, and give them away at some point, do so as a kindness.

Its still going to cost any DVC owner at least one night of points if they booked during early registration because that can’t be canceled or the tickets go with it.

I believe that you should still be able to try again with General Registration on June 21st for the July 11th event.

General Registration* – Opens June 21, 2023 and July 19, 2023
Event registration for the July 11 Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park event opens to all eligible Members on June 21, 2023 (pending availability). Event registration for the August 2 Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park event opens to all eligible Members on July 19, 2023 (pending availability). For other Moonlight Magic events, please check back for information about when to register.

Reading this thread makes me believe that DVC is not as organized as I expected.
Correct me if I am wrong - it is unacceptable that DVC allows members without reservations to use the early registration link. It is so unfair to the members with reservations and travel plans (including planned PTOs, paid flights and other travel items for the trip). If a member without reservation took the spot from one with reservations, will the latter be able to cancel the booked DVC stay and flights without penalties? Very unlikely....
DVC needs to do a better job to protect members with reservations if they really want to differentiate between reserved and un-reserved members. If everyone gets the same chance, I won't be bother booking my reservation for the event night several months ago.
For me, I booked my DVC for the MM event @July 11th, but did not receive the link for early registration at all. Since I have booked my flights with Southwest, I can cancel it without penalty. The worst $$$ loss for me would be the DVC points used to book my stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I am glad that I have not yet paid for the non-refundable tickets for the After-hour event at EPCOT @July 12th.
Anyhow, members' time and money can be greatly impacted negatively under current DVC process for MM registrations. DVC needs to fix this ASAP.

Also wondering about DVC process/website/IT--I got the link for a "qualified reservation" to book MM early. I was booked resale points, but also have a qualified direct membership. When I tried to log in with my direct points membership, the link said "not valid," but I could get tickets with my resale contract-I'm taking my direct membership card for pick-up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter