• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Moonlight Magic & Hotel Reservation Question

accm

DIS Veteran
We're currently registered to attend the HS Moonlight Magic in September. When we registered, we used a BRV reservation for it. We've since been able to pick up nights at BWV.

If I cancel (or modify, but no longer include the 13th) the BRV reservation, will I loose our Moonlight Magic registration? I chatted with MS, and was told that I can cancel with no issues, as it's not linked to the resort reservation. However, I feel like I've read on here that it is linked to the reservation? I've also double checked the confirmation email, and don't see anything saying I can't cancel the hotel reservation. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, I just don't want to risk loosing our registration.

I don’t have an answer for you, but it makes sense that MM reservation would be cancelled if you cancelled the resort reservation that was used to reserve MM during the early registration period. I didn't want to chance it, so I cancelled my waitlists that included the 13th after registering for MM (my waitlists that have come through are preceded by a cancellation email).

I would call and have them modify it. You should be able to keep them as long as you have a reservation.

You can not cancel a reservation without losing the tickets.

I confirmed with MS in writingthat I could modify my resort as long as the reservation number stayed the same.

But, if I canceled outright, it would trigger the tickets be be canceled as well.

So, I would just modify your current trrip or at the very least, keep the night of the 13th only in the original reservation to not lose the tickets.

I'll try calling/chatting again and see if I get a different answer from MS, and if it's still the same answer, I guess ask for confirmation? I saved the chat, but I don't know what good that would do if the registration is cancelled.
My kids are really excited for MM, and I doubt it'll ever coincide with our trip so perfectly, so I don't want to risk loosing it.

I do find it weird that the confirmation email doesn't say anything about needing to keep the original reservation number if that's the case.

You can not cancel a reservation without losing the tickets.

I confirmed with MS in writingthat I could modify my resort as long as the reservation number stayed the same.
This ^

You might have gotten a Member Services person that was trying to be helpful, but I wouldn't trust the chat. Taken directly from the Moonlight Magic info page today:
Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 8.11.07 PM.png

I'll try calling/chatting again and see if I get a different answer from MS, and if it's still the same answer, I guess ask for confirmation? I saved the chat, but I don't know what good that would do if the registration is cancelled.
My kids are really excited for MM, and I doubt it'll ever coincide with our trip so perfectly, so I don't want to risk loosing it.

I do find it weird that the confirmation email doesn't say anything about needing to keep the original reservation number if that's the case.

It does say it in the rules for the event that you lose them if you cancel.

But here is what was sent to me as I had also asked about a waitlist.

. 1689132185569.png

It does say it in the rules for the event that you lose them if you cancel.

But here is what was sent to me as I had also asked about a waitlist.

. View attachment 777080
Thank you! After a lot of hunting, I found where it said the registration would be canceled. Do you know what happens if I need to combine reservations? I've never paid attention to what happens to the reservation number.

Thank you! After a lot of hunting, I found where it said the registration would be canceled. Do you know what happens if I need to combine reservations? I've never paid attention to what happens to the reservation number.

I called MS directly and advised the CM that I had a MM attached to one of the ressies I wanted combined. She assured me that reservation number would be retained… and it was. I got two email confirmations later that day… one updating the ressie I needed to keep, the other cancelling the one I wanted combined.

Personally, I’ve combined ressies through both email and chat in the past. I chose to call directly this time, though, to be sure it was done correctly.

I would just do as someone else suggested. Call MS and make sure it’s clear. Or email MS so you have a record.

Tell them you want things merged but need to make sure that the reservation number thst stays the same is the one that is attached to your MM tickets.

I didn’t end up using a waitlist and stalked instead because I was worried and didn’t want to lose things.

I've now had two people at MS tell me that if we have another reservation on the 13th, that my Moonlight Magic registration won't be canceled. So we've sent an email and will wait for written confirmation before moving forward. I'll update here once we hear back.

I've now had two people at MS tell me that if we have another reservation on the 13th, that my Moonlight Magic registration won't be canceled. So we've sent an email and will wait for written confirmation before moving forward. I'll update here once we hear back.

Great! It will be interesting to see the response you get and if it’s different than mine!

This is the response we got:

1689879538964.png

So we should be able to cancel our original reservation as we have a different reservation for the 13th.

This is the response we got:

View attachment 779253

So we should be able to cancel our original reservation as we have a different reservation for the 13th.

Thanks for sharing! Definitely the opposite of what my email says!! Lol

But it is good you have it in writing now and I’d bring that with you!!

I assume none of this applies if you booked under the second wave when a room reservation wasn’t required?

I just wanted to put in another data point. We are also registered for a Moonlight Magic in September. I had a waitlist to modify my resort reservation dates (instead of arriving the day of MM, we wanted to arrive the day before). The waitlist was fulfilled, but the system cancelled my initial reservation and rebooked, resulting with a different reservation number than the one I used to register for MM early.

I called MS and they said that MM is NOT linked to any resort reservations because there is an "open registration" that will not require that you have a resort reservation (which makes sense). But the wording on the MM webpage haunted me. I emailed MS and got this for documentation:

Screenshot.jpg

I just wanted to put in another data point. We are also registered for a Moonlight Magic in September. I had a waitlist to modify my resort reservation dates (instead of arriving the day of MM, we wanted to arrive the day before). The waitlist was fulfilled, but the system cancelled my initial reservation and rebooked, resulting with a different reservation number than the one I used to register for MM early.

I called MS and they said that MM is NOT linked to any resort reservations because there is an "open registration" that will not require that you have a resort reservation (which makes sense). But the wording on the MM webpage haunted me. I emailed MS and got this for documentation:

View attachment 780414

It does match what we were told that waitlists don’t impact because it is done my MS.

What has been contradicted in what I got in my email is that if I did the cancel and rebook it would.

But, as posted by someone else, they said even that is fine. As long as one continues to hold a reservation.

We down graded our room size and so I confirmed it would still be active and was told yes…

I am bringing my emails with me just in case we have issues.

Reactions: EYL
Just wanted to provide an update. We were able to check in to Moonlight Magic with no issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter