Moonlight Magic is Back!

Questions: Before, did they ever hold a similar event at the California parks? I am assuming no since the local DVC population is probably relatively small.
I attended one at DCA in November 2018. I did another at Disneyland after that but can't remember the exact date. People were flying cross country for it, it definitely wasn't just locals - blew my mind as the event at DCA was a hot mess!

My DD and her boyfriend are going to be there March 31 (their last night). It literally JUST came thru via waitlist and has not been combined with the first 4 nights of their trip yet.

Do I have to get this combined by the 20th? I know they have been taking their sweet time combining reservations. If it gets combined (modified) after, will it screw anything up?

Realize I still have to actually snag tickets....

Storytime, please!!!
Just very long lines just to pick up wristbands (I arrived after mix-in due to work, not sure if that made a difference)...30-40 minutes if I remember correctly. Same thing for most of the dining locations. We should have just given up on using the food vouchers as I think we only accomplished like three rides through the entire event. The DL Moonlight Magic was much smoother (it rained that day and the attendance felt very light). Maybe they just needed one event to figure out staffing and workflow, etc.

It’s a perk that went away and is now back, that’s all. Like I said, I won’t even get to go, but I don’t mind being happy for others. I’ve seen a ton of people say this want this one particular perk back. It’s not even costing us anything so it absolutely confounds me when people bag on nice, free stuff.
The same people whine and complain that perks are disappearing and that buying direct is foolish and a waste of money because Disney only takes away and never adds back. They'll post repeatedly that perks are never coming back and if you think they are, then you're a fool (or naïve, or an apologist).

Then, when something does come back (like the DVC lounge that's been open for months and months), or something that they specifically lamented losing, (like Moonlight Magic), it's actually nothing to be thankful for, as it's likely due to some ulterior motive, or it's a waste of money, or it doesn't benefit them specifically.

I have had fun at these. I’ve liked the Typhoon Lagoon ones too! I just have too much planned this year to make another WDW vacation, however, I haven’t completely decided no. However, the air fares are insane. Really, over $1200 to go to MCO for a free nights entertainment?? I must be crazy for even considering it. :crazy:

The same people whine and complain that perks are disappearing and that buying direct is foolish and a waste of money because Disney only takes away and never adds back. They'll post repeatedly that perks are never coming back and if you think they are, then you're a fool (or naïve, or an apologist).

Then, when something does come back (like the DVC lounge that's been open for months and months), or something that they specifically lamented losing, (like Moonlight Magic), it's actually nothing to be thankful for, as it's likely due to some ulterior motive, or it's a waste of money, or it doesn't benefit them specifically.

In fairness, I can understand the perspective of the people who have been disappointed by DVC, because in general, their concerns are legitimate.

I haven't bashed DVC on the boards at all, because I'm emotionally in, hook-line-and-sinker, but there truly hasn't been - IMO - much to root for, if you're a DVC member as of late.

Examples include, but are not limited to: see poor operations (the website), see degradation of general perks (annual pass, TIW, borrowing rules), see purchasing (RIV resale restrictions, resale restrictions in general, VGF2 studio only refurb...arguably cash grab/diluting value to existing VGF membership), see general Disney park experiences (Genie +, exponential rise in ticket costs, crowds, labour issues, food quality/cost, general park upkeep, Magical Express).

I bought in (resale VGF) 2 years ago - so I knew that I was likely buying something with diminishing returns, i.e. I am currently happy to live with "just be satisfied with the fact that if every perk goes away, you can book at your home resort" - everything else is to be considered a bonus. But lets not lie to ourselves -- that's not how DVC markets and sells itself. Sales reps tell you about ALL of the great things membership brings -- it's not ... here's all the cool stuff you get, but we can take it away anytime.

Bottom line - if I bought at OKW when DVC first opened, I'd be pretty disappointed too, and I'd argue, rightfully so. The promise of what DVC was then, isn't what it is now.

It's nice that the Moonlight Magic perk came back; that's a good thing; it makes me happy, and I'm not a blue card member.

I do think we (DVC members) should be reserved in our praise - primarily because this isn't something new - it's just something that was taken away and has now returned. Its like praising your kids for attaining a 50% grade on their test, because they failed it last time around. Sure it's better, but it's not something that is worthy of prime fridge real-estate pin-up IMO :D.

I also think its no coincidence that this announcement comes out as 2Million points go shortly on sale at VGF. Do you think the DVC sales team will bring up Moonlight Magic in their sales pitch?

FYI: We plan to buy direct at VGF to get "blue carded" .... so yeah :rolleyes1 we're in ... we're happy, but I think being skeptical is understandable based on the recent track record.

Cheers :hippie:

It’s a perk that went away and is now back, that’s all. Like I said, I won’t even get to go, but I don’t mind being happy for others. I’ve seen a ton of people say this want this one particular perk back. It’s not even costing us anything so it absolutely confounds me when people bag on nice, free stuff.

I don't get it either. Perks are just that..perks! It is nice that they are trying to get back some of the events that we had prior to the pandemic. What it says is that they want to increase the offerings of membership magic to owners and not just take them away. Many thought these would never come back and they are...it is a move in the right direction.

It is disappointing that DPEP has not yet resumed sales for AP's, and I am sure that DVD, as before, would love for that to happen sooner rather than later too!

Last edited:
We've attended three of these events--the very first one at MK, and then in later years, one at MK and one at Epcot. The first MK was truly fabulous with limited capacity, outstanding fireworks, many snack stands around the park (ice cream bars, cookies, drinks) and lots of characters. We found the following years to be MUCH more crowded with very long lines at rides and, with food vouchers only good at a few QS outlets, getting food wasn't worth the wait.

We'll be there for the 5/24 HS; we'll try to register. Just hope they go back to more limited capacity.

I mean I'm in the cheap seats, so not like it matters, but I have two trips planned, and two for others, and none of the dates overlap, LOL.

We went to one in Epcot and my kids were so amazed with the free Mickey bars they didn’t even want to ride the rides. My 2 year old ate 3 Mickey bars in one night and our 12 year old though he was a VIP. We wouldn’t travel just to attend, but it was a fun bonus if you’re there.

I mean I'm in the cheap seats, so not like it matters, but I have two trips planned, and two for others, and none of the dates overlap, LOL.

You got a great value for you’re points, others find value for their points differently. It’s not West Side Story where we have to pick a side.

Or maybe it’s more like Romeo and Juliet. Does that make people who own both direct and resale the young couple who just want to be in love? Lol

In fairness, I can understand the perspective of the people who have been disappointed by DVC, because in general, their concerns are legitimate.

Initial concerns are legitimate, no one is suggesting otherwise. But to find reasons to complain about the return of perks is something completely different.

I haven't bashed DVC on the boards at all, because I'm emotionally in, hook-line-and-sinker, but there truly hasn't been - IMO - much to root for, if you're a DVC member as of late.

Again, true, but why react negatively to a positive, even if it's simply returning to the former status quo? It's a step forward and not a further retrograde.

Examples include, but are not limited to: see poor operations (the website), see degradation of general perks (annual pass, TIW, borrowing rules), see purchasing (RIV resale restrictions, resale restrictions in general, VGF2 studio only refurb...arguably cash grab/diluting value to existing VGF membership), see general Disney park experiences (Genie +, exponential rise in ticket costs, crowds, labour issues, food quality/cost, general park upkeep, Magical Express).

Everyone would agree that those things within DVC/DVD's control are in need of desperate attention, and we shouldn't lose sight of those shortcomings. As far as "general Disney park experiences", those are the purview of DPEP and not DVC/DVD. DVC has enough of it's own problems to fix.

I bought in (resale VGF) 2 years ago - so I knew that I was likely buying something with diminishing returns, i.e. I am currently happy to live with "just be satisfied with the fact that if every perk goes away, you can book at your home resort" - everything else is to be considered a bonus. But lets not lie to ourselves -- that's not how DVC markets and sells itself. Sales reps tell you about ALL of the great things membership brings -- it's not ... here's all the cool stuff you get, but we can take it away anytime.

Bottom line - if I bought at OKW when DVC first opened, I'd be pretty disappointed too, and I'd argue, rightfully so. The promise of what DVC was then, isn't what it is now.

It's nice that the Moonlight Magic perk came back; that's a good thing; it makes me happy, and I'm not a blue card member.

I do think we (DVC members) should be reserved in our praise - primarily because this isn't something new - it's just something that was taken away and has now returned. Its like praising your kids for attaining a 50% grade on their test, because they failed it last time around. Sure it's better, but it's not something that is worthy of prime fridge real-estate pin-up IMO :D.

Again, they're not entitled to praise for returning to the status quo, but to heap on further criticism regarding the return of perk that DVC received for removing is ridiculous. In our house, if one of our kids gave their best effort (which is likely not analogous to DVC here), and the 50% grade reflected that, then it absolutely got prime fridge real estate because it still reflected the best they could do in that circumstance, and was nothing to be dismissive of or embarrassed about (and we're not "participation trophy" proponents by any measure).

I also think its no coincidence that this announcement comes out as 2Million points go shortly on sale at VGF. Do you think the DVC sales team will bring up Moonlight Magic in their sales pitch?

FYI: We plan to buy direct at VGF to get "blue carded" .... so yeah :rolleyes1 we're in ... we're happy, but I think being skeptical is understandable based on the recent track record.

Cheers :hippie:

The stars aligned, and my trip includes March 17. Ironically, I was already holding a park reservation for Epcot that night.

What time does the Epcot MM usually start? I'm currently holding a dinner reservation at Ale and Compass for 6:50.

What time does the Epcot MM usually start? I'm currently holding a dinner reservation at Ale and Compass for 6:50.
In prior years, you could enter the park as early as 6pm using just the wristband issued for the event. The actual event doesn't officially start until 30 minutes after park closing.

Woo hoo! Can't go, but still a positive thing.

No MK though.
EPCOT: 3/17, 3/31
Hollywood Studios: 5/24, 6/16, 7/14
Animal Kingdom: 7/26, 8/31, (9/28?)

hmmm, that's weird. the email includes sept 28, but the webpage does not.

Maybe MK will come back later in the year?

does anyone know if Moonlight Magic is available for DVC resale purchasers (after 2016) who do not have any Direct points?

What time does Moonlight Magic generally start?
In prior years, you could enter the park as early as 6pm using just the wristband issued for the event. The actual event doesn't officially start until 30 minutes after park closing.
does anyone know if Moonlight Magic is available for DVC resale purchasers (after 2016) who do not have any Direct points?
You must be eligible for Membership Extras to attend the Moonlight Magic Events.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter