(More) Alcohol Coming to MK

So question. I see a lot of comparisons with Epcot. I'm curious if anyone has seen any issues at Hollywood Studios. They have alcohol, they have much bigger rides than MK, and they have a few stands spread out that sells. I have seen people way too drunk at Epcot, but I don't remember ever seeing that issue at DHS.

I think in EPCOT there is that mentality/tradition/whatever of "drinking around the world" - so there is a competitive aspect to the drinking or at least something encouraging you to drink more than you might normally. You don't have that at DHS or AK (where they have been having more and more places to buy alcohol). I am sure there are some examples of it happening but I never see t-shirts with the different parts of AK where you mark off after getting a drink in each

Trick is to drink on Disney property but not stuff sold at Disney ;) Ok so that's not IN the parks, just by the pool at our resort. My husband LOVES his beer on vacation, but even he will only have ONE beer if we are at a park that serves it, due to the cost. He is like a child at Christmas when we hit Publix and he can get 24 case if beer for $18...that would cost him $50 here!
As a DVC member I used to bring my little cooler to the pool all the time with beers in it.....actually got turned in by someone at the OKW pool once until they found out i was one of about 10 groups around us with beer in the coolers (probably one fo those Dis Board rule follower people) ;)

I think in EPCOT there is that mentality/tradition/whatever of "drinking around the world" - so there is a competitive aspect to the drinking or at least something encouraging you to drink more than you might normally. You don't have that at DHS or AK (where they have been having more and more places to buy alcohol). I am sure there are some examples of it happening but I never see t-shirts with the different parts of AK where you mark off after getting a drink in each
I agree...the "drinking around the world" thing is something that is uniquely adult and actually fits in at Epcot....in my experience I have seen some very drunk people, but none to the point that ruined my experience

I'm surprised by the number of people unhappy with this. I'm not a big drinker, but few things that I'm keeping in mind:
- Beer and wine only, folks. And at a few sit-down (expensive) restaurants. They're not wheeling booze carts of jell-o shots around Fantasyland, and unlike others on here I doubt that's where this is going. If there's one thing DIS doesn't like it's murky legal waters and potential liability issues, so I would be very surprised if liquor/cocktails would be next on the agenda in MK.
- Anyone want to guess how ridiculously overpriced the drinks will be? They will likely price the "let's get wasted" crowd out of the market with their $20 glasses of Chardonnay and $15 beers.
- People not wanting their special snowflakes to be around alcohol-- how does that work when you go to restaurants with bars? It's not Disney's job to be the morality police. If you don't want Timmy to see a mom and dad enjoying a glass of wine at Cinderella's Castle, get an ADR for a breakfast meal or do QS.
- I think the "drunks will be puking on my kid while she's in line for Dumbo" argument seems like an overreaction. As another poster mentioned, I'd be more concerned about the colorful language used by teenage patrons than having your child exposed to the rare customer who was over-served.

MK will still be a fun and whimsical park and I doubt we will notice that much of a difference.

Disney is testing a fee if you ship things to the resorts. So say you ship a package or case of water or something you would pay a $5 fee for that.

Oh ok. I was under the impression they were charging a fee for shipping stuff back to your room after purchasing it in the park. Because it's having stuff shipped TO the resort from home or a third party is why I had no idea about this since we never do that.

Oh ok. I was under the impression they were charging a fee for shipping stuff back to your room after purchasing it in the park. Because it's having stuff shipped TO the resort from home or a third party is why I had no idea about this since we never do that.
No the shipping stuff back to your resort is still free for onsite guests for now.

No the shipping stuff back to your resort is still free for onsite guests for now.

Likely always will be. I know there are impulse buys I have purchased because I didn't have to carry it with me. However, I also pick my stuff up at the gate too, so I would be fine either way.

Kind of on topic for this:

Do you know they won't let you carry purchased beverages out of the park. If you buy a bottle of wine in Epcot at one of the Epcot stores they make you ship it to the front gate? We tried to buy the flavored moonshine at F&G last year on our way out and they wouldn't let us have it. The only way we could get it is if we waited 3 hours for them to send it to the front.

Likely always will be. I know there are impulse buys I have purchased because I didn't have to carry it with me. However, I also pick my stuff up at the gate too, so I would be fine either way.

Kind of on topic for this:

Do you know they won't let you carry purchased beverages out of the park. If you buy a bottle of wine in Epcot at one of the Epcot stores they make you ship it to the front gate? We tried to buy the flavored moonshine at F&G last year on our way out and they wouldn't let us have it. The only way we could get it is if we waited 3 hours for them to send it to the front.

Several factors are in play. 1: the no glass bottles rule makes it an easy thing to say sorry this needs to be sent up front (but then doesn't make 100% because they will see you glasses with out sending it to the front). 2: Liquor license. I'm not sure what type of liquor license Disney needs or has but there are different types for bottles for consumption vs bottles not meant for consumption. 3: the biggie MONEY. If they let people buy a bottle at market value they would never sell individual glasses with the crazy mark ups so they would loose money. Also it is easy to control consumption if it is sold by the glass. Not that they actually control consumption but CMs are trained and told not to sell to clearly inebriated guests even though they still do.

Several factors are in play. 1: the no glass bottles rule makes it an easy thing to say sorry this needs to be sent up front (but then doesn't make 100% because they will see you glasses with out sending it to the front). 2: Liquor license. I'm not sure what type of liquor license Disney needs or has but there are different types for bottles for consumption vs bottles not meant for consumption. 3: the biggie MONEY. If they let people buy a bottle at market value they would never sell individual glasses with the crazy mark ups so they would loose money. Also it is easy to control consumption if it is sold by the glass. Not that they actually control consumption but CMs are trained and told not to sell to clearly inebriated guests even though they still do.

*shrug* just seemed kinda dumb cause when we bought a bottle in France they let us leave with it.

*shrug* just seemed kinda dumb cause when we bought a bottle in France they let us leave with it.

France often breaks that rule. I don't know why they don't follow it but they are always suppose to send to the bottle to package pick up so that you pick it up past security.

France often breaks that rule. I don't know why they don't follow it but they are always suppose to send to the bottle to package pick up so that you pick it up past security.

Actually, the IGW pick up isn't past security

And it's not just France. Italy has done it too. In fact, any of the countries will do it as far as I know and when I questioned it, they told me they weren't subject to the same rules as Disney operated stores. Guess it's just a Disney policy.

So to get back on topic, I doubt that they'd sell alcohol outside of the restaurants.

I'm surprised by the number of people unhappy with this. I'm not a big drinker, but few things that I'm keeping in mind:
- Beer and wine only, folks. And at a few sit-down (expensive) restaurants. They're not wheeling booze carts of jell-o shots around Fantasyland, and unlike others on here I doubt that's where this is going. If there's one thing DIS doesn't like it's murky legal waters and potential liability issues, so I would be very surprised if liquor/cocktails would be next on the agenda in MK.
- Anyone want to guess how ridiculously overpriced the drinks will be? They will likely price the "let's get wasted" crowd out of the market with their $20 glasses of Chardonnay and $15 beers.
- People not wanting their special snowflakes to be around alcohol-- how does that work when you go to restaurants with bars? It's not Disney's job to be the morality police. If you don't want Timmy to see a mom and dad enjoying a glass of wine at Cinderella's Castle, get an ADR for a breakfast meal or do QS.
- I think the "drunks will be puking on my kid while she's in line for Dumbo" argument seems like an overreaction. As another poster mentioned, I'd be more concerned about the colorful language used by teenage patrons than having your child exposed to the rare customer who was over-served.

MK will still be a fun and whimsical park and I doubt we will notice that much of a difference.

I agree.
I don't think the drinks will be ridiculously expensive, though. The beer and wine in BOG is priced pretty normally, $6-$11 for beers.

People not wanting their special snowflakes to be around alcohol-- how does that work when you go to restaurants with bars? It's not Disney's job to be the morality police.

Ignoring the patronization, my point is, Walt Disney did not want it in MK. He thought it would detract from the intended atmosphere, and I feel like he knew what he was doing. That's now overturned and I find that a bit sad.

I think the "drunks will be puking on my kid while she's in line for Dumbo" argument seems like an overreaction.

When you've had your kid get stuck near two plowed adults, who are throwing haymaker punches at each other in MK (Not So Scary Halloween Party, Sept 2014), we can talk about overreaction. I realize my experience is not the norm, and it isn't even why I don't support the decision. It's more about Walt's wishes, for me.

I agree. I will still love the place and will always want to go there. It's just one decision I don't agree with.

Ignoring the patronization, my point is, Walt Disney did not want it in MK. He thought it would detract from the intended atmosphere, and I feel like he knew what he was doing. That's now overturned and I find that a bit sad.

When you've had your kid get stuck near two plowed adults, who are throwing haymaker punches at each other in MK (Not So Scary Halloween Party, Sept 2014), we can talk about overreaction. I realize my experience is not the norm, and it isn't even why I don't support the decision. It's more about Walt's wishes, for me.

I agree. I will still love the place and will always want to go there. It's just one decision I don't agree with.

Yikes. I'm sorry you and your family had a negative experience. I'm sure if that happened to me, I would be averse to more alch in the parks as well. Agree to disagree. Disney Springs does get pretty sloppy after about 10PM and I get people not wanting MK to turn into that environment.

Alcohol in MK. It was a magical place for kids.

Hail the almighty buck!!!!

Yes, I agree with this. The people we saw drunk were at EP. I "get" the appeal of the Drink Around the World concept, and in a different time or place sure, we'd try it! But a family theme park with thousands of children milling about, is neither the time or the place. That said, it would be nice if they would offer it as a special, after-hours, adult-only event. In fact, it would be nice if they did some special "adult-only" after hours evenings, period, in all the parks. I imagine there would be more than a few who would go for that.

There's an idea factor in the cost of two drinks into the admission and cash after. With magic band it would be easy. Would more than likely be a sell out.

Isn't it amazing to have a great product and see it brought down by greed.

Dollywood looking good

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter