More EPCOT nations?

cdispoto

Earning My Ears
I love the World Showcase but there are clearly some regions that are underrepresented. There seems to be some more real estate for added nations where the whole "Village Traders" area is. Anyone know if they've ever considered adding nations? Do you think they should consider it and, if so, what would you like to see added?

There are so many options. There are no So American countries, Spain/Portugal could be added or India considering its population and growing world influence. Even a Middle Eastern country might be interesting.

Yeah....threads like this pop up occasionally.

I think that if a country wants to be included in the World Showcase, they have to make a pitch to WDW, and sponsor it themselves.

I'm pretty sure most of the world's countries have enough going on that they couldn't care less about being included in the World Showcase at Walt Disney World.

We would love to see some additional countries!!:banana::banana::banana:

There is so much they could do at Epcot!! We love strolling through World Showcase and watching the show :artist: and bands...and enjoying the treats & beverages. :thumbsup2:

cdispoto said:
I love the World Showcase but there are clearly some regions that are underrepresented. There seems to be some more real estate for added nations where the whole "Village Traders" area is. Anyone know if they've ever considered adding nations? Do you think they should consider it and, if so, what would you like to see added?

There are so many options. There are no So American countries, Spain/Portugal could be added or India considering its population and growing world influence. Even a Middle Eastern country might be interesting.

They should put Andorra where African Outpost is. Not a representation of it, but the whole country--it'd almost fit. ;)

I think everyone would like to see more countries represented and the space is there. However, with all the potential projects already in the que it is unlikely for now unless someone else is picking up the tab.

Hey, maybe North Korea thinks they are misunderstood and would be interested? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Rumors about Pixar Place/Cars attractions, Pandora and Avatar, Star Wars, etc....Until they decide what the next project actually is I don't see more $$ invested at Epcot or WS.:mad:

Epcot has room for possibly 4-6 more countries. Two could easily fit where the outpost is. One between Germany and Italy. One between Japan and Morocco... Lots of room. I love WS and read stuff about this all the time. I would love to see some additional countries added. They would need to be countries that are diverse enough to add something new and also have some architecture that would be related directly to them. Some that I always hope for include:

Russia - Kremlin style main building
Holland - Huge windmill main building
India - Taj Mahal mail building
Brazil - Christ the Redeemer maybe if Disney can get past the religious aspect
Egypt - Sphinx and or a pyramid or two
Greece - Parthenon

Anyway, the truth is that there will probably NEVER be any expansion in the world showcase. It's sad, but anyone who loves and knows Disney knows that everything that is done these days is done to increase profits or increase ticket sales. The inconvenience that the construction would cause, even if it was sponsored and paid for by the new country, wouldn't be offset by the potential increased income. People will visit Disney to see the new fantasy land. People will visit AK to ride Expedition Everest. No one is gonna visit Epcot just to see the Holland pavilion. It's sad, but the monetary incentive just isn't there for Disney to pursue a World Showcase expansion :( Sad, because in my opinion, world showcase after dark, when the tribal music is playing and the torches are lit is the most magical place on the whole property. I love just walking around and browsing in and out of the shops at night. The atmosphere is totally different than during the day.

The "Unofficial Guide" claims (in a not-so-subtle hint) that there are plans (or at least hopes) to turn the Odyssey building into a Brazil pavilion.

I would love to see India. Their culture is so rich and beautiful. Egypt would be interesting but the fact is the food and culture is so similar to Morocco. Israel would be difficult. How could they do it without offending someone? Would they include a Palestinian territory? Would guests pass through check points moving from one area to another? It could be interesting but probably not interesting in the way Disney would like. And again the food is pretty similar to Morocco.

I would love to see India. Their culture is so rich and beautiful. Egypt would be interesting but the fact is the food and culture is so similar to Morocco. Israel would be difficult. How could they do it without offending someone? Would they include a Palestinian territory? Would guests pass through check points moving from one area to another? It could be interesting but probably not interesting in the way Disney would like. And again the food is pretty similar to Morocco.

Egypt is about as similar to Morocco (geographically and culturally) as UK is to France or to Germany.

They managed a Germany pavilion without offending anyone (Germany has a bit of a checkered past don't you know), a France pavilion without offending former French colonies, and heck even a US pavilion without offending anyone despite the US's less-than-stellar reputation among some abroad. They could do Israel.

(And BTW your suggestion of India has the potential to offend Pakistanis.)

ghtx said:
Egypt is about as similar to Morocco (geographically and culturally) as UK is to France or to Germany.

They managed a Germany pavilion without offending anyone (Germany has a bit of a checkered past don't you know), a France pavilion without offending former French colonies, and heck even a US pavilion without offending anyone despite the US's less-than-stellar reputation among some abroad. They could do Israel.

(And BTW your suggestion of India has the potential to offend Pakistanis.)

Not really. In Egypt and Morocco they eat basically the same types of food. They speak Arabic in both countries. They are both mostly Muslim countries. Egypt and Morocco is more like Canada to USA than France is to Germany. France and Germany have different languages and cuisines from each other.

I think the main difference is you are comparing a checkered past to a checkered present.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter