More points or remodel kitchen? What would YOU do?

BWVDenise

I believe in something, I just don't know what it
Just curious. I already know what I want to do:D
If you could do one or the other, which would it be?

We're in the same boat. Add on more points or finish the basement. I'm for more points since we just don't seem to have enough and it will end up costing less than finishing the basement. Good luck with your decision.

I'm the perfect one to ask!!! I bought 100 more points!!! It was cheaper than putting central air in... I bought the points, and now just recently put in the central air once I had more $$$... I'm glad I did it in that order... don't forget, buying points is not going to become less expensive!!!

Buy DVC and remodel the kitchen in smaller steps. You will need a vacation inbetween each step so that is where you can use your points. Sounds logical to me.

Oh my gosh we just went through the same thing! We ended up adding on 55 points, and we're hoping to do the kitchen in another year. We finally decided that since we don't splurge on vacations for just the two of us, the points were justified. The extra points will enable us to get a one-bedroom, instead of a studio, thus giving us a bit of privacy and space away from the kids. It is a tough choice, though - the practical person would choose the kitchen, I'm sure. Disney vacations (and planning them) are therapy for me, in addition to the week we spend each year.

Good luck - let us know what you decide!

I guess I will be the pratical one and say the kitchen first! Maybe that's because of our personal experience. When we purchased our home 10 years ago, it had an ORANGE kitchen...I mean the floors, counter tops..I felt like Bozo the clown's head had exploded in there! lol!! Such an ugly site. We did our kitchen over before we spent another dime on anything else!

Also, more points means longer vacations at WDW, which also comes with more expenses..flights, tickets, food etc., making it difficult to save for that kitchen project..or any project for that matter!

We've added on twice since our initial purchase...and we are spending twice as much on our WDW vacations because of it..lol!!

There will always be DVC resales kicking around for an add on. A kitchen is something that you spend every day in.

On the ohter hand...DVC = FUN and relaxation.....

What a delima!!

Good luck with your decision!

It probably depends mostly on the kitchen. If like Peggy Sue's, it is so out of date, then by all means do that first. You use the kitchen every day. Even though DVC is great, it's only a few days a year.

As for the price of DVC going up, that's true. But so will the price of remodeling the kitchen. So whichever one you do first, the other one will cost you more when you finally get to it.

The kitchen will definitely add value to your house. The sales value of a house is determined mostly by three factors: Location, Kitchen, Baths

I'd take a hard look at the kitchen. Compare it to GE's Carousel of Progress at Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland. If it looks at all like any of the first several segments (Spring, Summer, Fall) then do it first. If it looks a lot like December's final segment, then buy the DVC first.

I would have to be practical and remodel my kitchen!!!
Your home is the biggest investment you will ever make. By remodeling your kitchen you may be increasing your homes worth and thereby having more money in the future for those additional points.

You want my honest answer: Remodel the kitchen. You have to live with that nearly every day. I don't know about you but I love to cook, so a kitchen is key in my house. Plus, it adds value to your property.

I'd have to see the kitchen! Sometimes you can give a kitchen a whole new look just with a coat of paint and some new towels, maybe a new sink at the most. If you need more it's a tougher choice!
Robin M.

Kitchens cost lots of $$$$$$$! I built a home 2 years ago, and for what I paid for my kitchen, I could have purchased a german luxury car!

How many points are you looking to purchase? If under 100, then it would be less than the kitchen? Right? Also, what will the extra points allow you to do? Another day, week, vacation? Also, how old are your children (if any or planning)? Also, do you have the funds currently to redo the kitchen the way you want? Would you have to finance (either one). If so, is it tax deductable? (Here's a biggie: How long do you see yourself in this home?) I sound like your mother-in-law, but all these factors weigh in to the decision.

If the cost is of equal value, the kitchen is the way to go.

Or both, instead of granite, go formica and buy points with the savings!

Post your decision when you have made it..........

If it's complete remodel, the points will be a lot cheaper. We were thinking and planning to remodel, then went to Disney last summer and ended up buying into DVC. Then this spring, suddenly the builder became available and we said "oh, what the heck, we've been dreaming about this for 2 years" . (Our house is over 60 years old, so kitchen - especially cupboards- was literally falling apart.) So, we ended up with both. Now, we have to pay for it, so ALL meals will be eaten at home for economy sake.

Two points:
1) If it's a big remodel and you live in the house, you"ll NEED a vacation.
2) Once you bite the bullet and buy in, the vacation feels free, so you actually get a vacation.

:D

I like to cook, so a good kitchen was a priority for us when we purchased our home. Does it really need to be remodeled, or do you just want to remodel it?
Weigh your priorities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter