More seizure questions...

BeccaGrace

Reads Disney Menus When She's Sad
I've been reading the threads re: seizures with lots of curiosity because dh has a seizure disorder and my youngest dd just had her 3rd seizure and is currently being evaluated to determine the cause. Neither of them have seizures with the frequency described in the other threads (dh is seizure free for 13 months and dd had 3 seizures in a 16 month span) and have no other special needs. However, I am wondering if there is anywhere that lists rides/shows that could potentially trigger a seizure (through strobe lights or videogame-type technology, etc.). The WDW disability pamphlets didn't have any specifics on this and it seems like the warnings for the rides don't specify seizures and only mention being in good health as a guideline. I am hopeful that the new guide coming out for people with disabilities might touch on this but am still curious in the meantime. Does anyone have any personal experience with specific rides that triggered a seizure or know of any that we might want to avoid? DH has been to other amusement parks before we got married and says that he didn't have any problems, I am more concerned with dd at this point since this will be her first experience with rides/etc. I plan on asking her neurologist for any recommendation but was curious to see what others experience has been. Thanks for any information!!!!

BeccaGrace said:
I've been reading the threads re: seizures with lots of curiosity because dh has a seizure disorder and my youngest dd just had her 3rd seizure and is currently being evaluated to determine the cause. Neither of them have seizures with the frequency described in the other threads (dh is seizure free for 13 months and dd had 3 seizures in a 16 month span) and have no other special needs. However, I am wondering if there is anywhere that lists rides/shows that could potentially trigger a seizure (through strobe lights or videogame-type technology, etc.). The WDW disability pamphlets didn't have any specifics on this and it seems like the warnings for the rides don't specify seizures and only mention being in good health as a guideline. I am hopeful that the new guide coming out for people with disabilities might touch on this but am still curious in the meantime. Does anyone have any personal experience with specific rides that triggered a seizure or know of any that we might want to avoid? DH has been to other amusement parks before we got married and says that he didn't have any problems, I am more concerned with dd at this point since this will be her first experience with rides/etc. I plan on asking her neurologist for any recommendation but was curious to see what others experience has been. Thanks for any information!!!!

Sarah when is the trip? Could you request your neuro to do an eeg with strobe lights on both DH and DD to see if they are photo sensative. Chris is not but some people can have seizures triggered by strobe lights. Spinning is also another trigger. That way you could know if DH and DD is photo-semsative (light sensative). That is good info to have even if you weren't going to Disney. Some kids that are photo sensative to where the light flickering through trees while they are staring out the window of a mopving car triggers a seizure.

So as far as my recollection a ton of Disney attractiopns have strobe lights especially the shows in the dark. Like 'It's tough to be a bug' has them and even though Chris isn't photosensative right now that doesn't mean he won't ever be KWIM? I still hold my breath.

Primeval whirl also might not be a good idea for DH, dd will be too small, lots of spinning in that ride.

So maybe you can call Disney and ask what rides use flashing/ strobe lights and it can give you an idea.
I will see if I can find it in any of my stuff.

Thank you so much for the information! DD just had the EEG with strobe lights last week (we're waiting on the results) and DH gets these every year with no apparent problem.
Didn't think of the spinning issue--not even sure DH would go on them since DD's are too little for them anyway, so we may be pretty safe:)
Thanks for taking the time to answer--I appreciate it!

BeccaGrace said:
Thank you so much for the information! DD just had the EEG with strobe lights last week (we're waiting on the results) and DH gets these every year with no apparent problem.
Didn't think of the spinning issue--not even sure DH would go on them since DD's are too little for them anyway, so we may be pretty safe:)
Thanks for taking the time to answer--I appreciate it!

Sara you are welcome. Unfortunately you have seen what my son deals with so I am constantly searching for this info. I am glad you brought it up :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter