More stores locking up every single item

Not worth it to who? The innocent victims or the decent, law abiding citizens that are then affected in so many negative ways, like the ones being discussed here? Oh man...am I anxious to get that new forum started! :teeth:
Right? It feels like an awfully slippery slope. If the excuse is crowded jails, then what happens when assaults, murders, or (pick your crime here) skyrockets? Ignore the "least violent" of those crimes too? Where does it end? I have no answers, but do know that waiving all consequences for committing one type of crime will likely lead to greater tolerance for others as well- and that won't end well for those voting citizens.

Not worth it to who? The innocent victims or the decent, law abiding citizens that are then affected in so many negative ways, like the ones being discussed here? Oh man...am I anxious to get that new forum started! :teeth:

It's not worth it to the companies to hire security guards to stop it....until it gets too out of hand and then some of the companies end up just closing their stores. Personally, I can't imagine working as a security guard to try and stop this kind of behavior and putting my life on the line to stop it.

Also...all of this is why we order everything from Amazon.

Our local Walgreens is well known for being able to steal what you want and No One will try to stop you. It's even on the internet. Go to Walgreens and take anything! It's just crazy, IMO.
I was at this Walgreens the other day and went down an isle and watched a man in a long coat put a 2 liter pop in his coat, but he saw me and put it back and took off. I am not threatening looking but glad I had that effect on him, LOL.

• Sad
Reactions: shh
It's not worth it to the companies to hire security guards to stop it....until it gets too out of hand and then some of the companies end up just closing their stores. Personally, I can't imagine working as a security guard to try and stop this kind of behavior and putting my life on the line to stop it.

Also...all of this is why we order everything from Amazon.
At least here in California, a security guard or any store employee trying to stop a shoplifter will get fired. To much risk of an employee or the suspected criminal getting hurt and the store getting sued.
I know it is different in other states. My wife's nephew manages a grocery store in Texas and if he detains a shoplifter, he gets a $150 bonus.

At least here in California, a security guard or any store employee trying to stop a shoplifter will get fired. To much risk of an employee or the suspected criminal getting hurt and the store getting sued.
I know it is different in other states. My wife's nephew manages a grocery store in Texas and if he detains a shoplifter, he gets a $150 bonus.
Yay Texas! :cheer2: May it spark a revival of common decency!

Another aspect to all of this is the impact it has on the safety of other shoppers. People are mad and frustrated with how the politicians have put the police on the sidelines so they are taking the law into their own hands.

I belong to a few community FB groups and I have seen the various posts of how well meaning citizens have tackled, tripped, videoed shoplifters, etc. What if the bad guy wants to escalate things? Things could go sideways real fast.

A. People are mad and frustrated with how the politicians have put the police on the sidelines so they are taking the law into their own hands.
Not sure I am comfortable defending politicians, but at least here in California, it was the people, the voters, not the politicians that changed the law and put police on the sidelines.

Not sure I am comfortable defending politicians, but at least here in California, it was the people, the voters, not the politicians that changed the law and put police on the sidelines.
True, I stand corrected tvguy. Same here in WA. The politicians are doing the bidding of the voters. I certainly didn't vote for what we have been experiencing here.

I belong to a few community FB groups and I have seen the various posts of how well meaning citizens have tackled, tripped, videoed shoplifters, etc. What if the bad guy wants to escalate things? Things could go sideways real fast.
I think that's why many stores don't want their employees trying to stop shoplifters. If the bad guy escalates things and hurts or kills the employee?

I think that's why many stores don't want their employees trying to stop shoplifters. If the bad guy escalates things and hurts or kills the employee?
Exactly! I am frustrated much like the well meaning ppl that I mentioned earlier but I will not put myself in a potentially bad situation over some meaningless product.

My friends and I have noticed a pretty radical change in our shopping habits this year. I used to love to shop - needed to touch, try-on, see colors in person. This year I can barely make myself go to a store. I've mail ordered most all my clothing and almost all my Christmas gifts. One day in December between DH and I, we placed three Amazon Prime orders. The only exceptions are a couple of locally owned stores I like to shop.

The mall and big box stores are a mess - incomplete inventory, stuff in the wrong place, inadequate staff to keep the store organized - hard to find anything. Plus more and more shoppers are rude and in a hurry at best and dangerous at worst. Our local mall, which used to be very nice and upscale has seen one mass shooting and several fights, gangs of thieves, etc. I think the stores have hurt themselves - if they don't care enough to have an organized, clean store, it sends a bad message to theives.

It's so much easier to order and have items shipped to me. I save money too because I buy exactly what I get online for and don't get caught up in other things.

True, I stand corrected tvguy. Same here in WA. The politicians are doing the bidding of the voters. I certainly didn't vote for what we have been experiencing here.
The stores just need to ensure that the people entering the stores have accounts and charge them for whatever they walk out with. There is no need for checkout lines. The stores have technology available to detect what each customer has in their cart.

The stores just need to ensure that the people entering the stores have accounts and charge them for whatever they walk out with. There is no need for checkout lines. The stores have technology available to detect what each customer has in their cart.

While in principle I agree, this would cause an issue with people who don't have credit/debit cards. I wouldn't have a problem but my husband is an all-cash guy and if he can't buy things that way when out and about he wouldn't shop there. We do have a CC for online stuff, but in-person store stuff it's cash or we don't buy/shop there.

While in principle I agree, this would cause an issue with people who don't have credit/debit cards. I wouldn't have a problem but my husband is an all-cash guy and if he can't buy things that way when out and about he wouldn't shop there. We do have a CC for online stuff, but in-person store stuff it's cash or we don't buy/shop there.
How do you shop online with cash? There isn't an option that I'm aware of.

How do you shop online with cash? There isn't an option that I'm aware of.
Well, you could go to the store and buy an Amazon Gift Card, or other gift card, but there are a lot of people......using the politically correct term.......who are "unbanked". That is why Check Cashing stores exist.
There is still a digital divide in our nation. People that don't do anything online because they can't. My company was surprised when we went almost entirely remote during the pandemic that there were employees who had no internet access at home. Or the school district who gave kids laptops only to find out not only did many not have internet at home, but in many poorer areas, the internet providers still hadn't even put the infrastructure in. Sac City Schools set up mobile WiFi systems in buses that they would park in those neighborhoods during the school day for kids who had no internet access.

I noticed Walmart here had legos locked up.

As a PP said, I did 90% of my shopping without stepping inside a store. I hate shopping anymore.

Back in the 80s when I worked at Kmart, the male employees took great delight in chasing down shoplifters. My boyfriend at the time reached in and grabbed a steering wheel and was dragged across the parking lot, tearing up his pants in the process. He wasn’t even 18 yet. Can you imagine that happening now? Not that it’s a good idea, but at least people weren’t afraid to take a stand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter