Morning sickness and Animal Kingdom Lodge smell

DisneyFave

Mouseketeer
Hi! I am heading to WDW to stay at AKL on Saturday and just starting feeling pretty horrible morning sickness, with extreme sensitivity to smells. Of course we are booked at AKL which I love but I remember the cooking smell in the lobby being quite strong. I forget if the smell is in the rooms too? Are there any areas of the resort I can request to be, with minimal smells? Any advice would be MUCH appreciated. TIA :)

No advice, but congratulations!!! I remember so well how awful that nauseous feeling is though. Poor thing! With my youngest, I was sooo sick and we went on a beach trip. Miraculously, I was completely fine the whole trip. It was the weirdest thing and when I got home I was right back to being sick. Maybe you'll have good luck and be fine during the trip. Have fun!

Oh, and another thing that might help, that I did while working (nurse) was to smell an alcohol pad instead of the strong smell. So maybe pack a handful of those and sniff them as you walk through the lobby and pop in the trash once outside.

Oh, and another thing that might help, that I did while working (nurse) was to smell an alcohol pad instead of the strong smell. So maybe pack a handful of those and sniff them as you walk through the lobby and pop in the trash once outside.

I have never been pregnant but the smell of alcohol pads makes me nauseous.

For motion sickness which is exasperated by odors (such as the smell of cleaner on a plane or train), hard lemon candies help overcome the smell. Don’t know if it helps with morning sickness.

When I was pregnant and had morning sickness all day long for at least six or seven months, going outside in temps below zero helped me the most. Luckily we lived in Montana at the time and that was most of my morning sickness months. Unfortunately, that won't work in Florida.

But I don't really recall much of a smell in the rooms. Will air freshener help at all? Like the ones that aren't really scented but they just clear out the odors?

Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean. I had really bad smell aversions when I was pregnant with my 2 girls, didn't have it with my son but had it really bad with both girls. Certain perfumes, food smells and cleaning products especially would really set it off. The good news is that it tends to go away as you get further along in your pregnancy! A couple of things that worked for me was keeping something on me that had a strong smell that would "drown out" the smells that were bothering me. Things like lemon, mint, ginger, and cinnamon are all strong smells that tend to soothe. Essential oils would work great for this. I wish I had them back when I was pregnant with my girls!

Congratulations! I was miserable with both of my pregnancies so I feel your pain. I would explain your situation to the front desk when you check-in, I would imagine they would be accommodating and would know the best rooms to put you in that wouldn't be near restaurants or animal cleaning pens.

The only things that helped me? Prescription Zofran (controversial, but helped me not vomit as much with my first, although it did cause other issues with not being able to go #2, not fun), and prescription Diclegis (only thing that helped a bit with baby #2) helped me out. I was able to get enough samples of Diclegis from my doctor that I never needed a script filled.

I never had much luck with Seabands or mint tea or ginger candies or any of those remedies people swear by. Just try to eat a little bit right when you wake up (saltine crackers helped), because if I went long periods of time without eating, my nausea was worse. If I didn't eat right when I woke up, I'd undoubtedly vomit to start my day.

Also, hot showers were not my friend.

Best of luck to you! Hoping for a happy & healthy 9 months.

I was very early into my pregnancy and had extreme morning sickness (later diagnosed with Hyperemesis). I too found alcohol wipes actually helped a bit with the smells. If I hadn't known I was pregnant, I would have had a clue between vomiting all day and being stalked by storks at our resort.

I feel your pain. I had horrible morning sickness with DD, right up until delivery. I was on prescription reglan 3 times a day, and zofran when that didn't help. I had the sensitivity to smell as well. Citrus oil was one thing that helped me. I wore a mixture of lemon and orange oil daily and kept some in my purse for emergencies. Maybe a small vial in your pocket with a hankie to dab it on?

My husband jokes that I nearly divorced him when he boiled chicken...so I feel your pain. Actually I couldn't be around any meat (cooked, raw, whatever)....I was on promethazine due to being a vomit comet from week 5 to week 41.

Sometimes ginger candies would help....sometimes they wouldn't.

Some people have luck with ginger or bands or meds, but nothing did it for me; I just couldn't stop vomiting 10+ times a day, every day for six months.

Look, only you know if you think yours is mild enough you can tough it out, or if you need to reschedule the trip, but there is really no avoiding smells: Disney pipes scents into almost every location as part of the ambiance, and there is food being cooked pretty much everywhere.

No useful advice. Zofran helps a bit, but my extreme morning (all day) sickness never stopped my Disney trips.. I did throw up in like every bathroom, though! I would definitely bring a travel size Febreeze for your room, and try to eat small, bland meals, if possible. Have fun and congrats!!

Try placing a small amount of Vick’s Vapor Rub underneath your nose. Breathing in the menthol helps block other odors and seems to smooth the stomach.

First off, congrats!

Didn't stay at AKL while pregnant, but did eat twice at Boma. The smells there never really bothered me. The worst smell was from the monorail:crazy2:, could not get me off of that thing fast enough!!

I definitely agree about the citrus scents to ease the queasiness, at least for me. I usually love mint scents, but couldn't handle them while pregnant.

I had hyperemisis as well. Nauseous and vomiting from week 6 til the literal moment my babies were born.
Ginger ale, saltines, seabands, prehistoric pops, all that stuff, nothing worked. I was on zofran with my first but with my second my dr wasn’t prescribing it to pregnant women anymore. Diclegis didn’t do anything.

Here’s what worked for me (and trust me I tried everything):

Keep orange or lemon oil in your purse. Sniff it when you get nauseous from odors.
Similarity hard lemon candies worked better for me than ginger candy.
Also lemon sparkling water. (I liked the Dasani in the silver can) Sprite has too much sugar but the lemon sparkling water really soothes my stomach.
Magnesium spray really works. I read a lot of articles about how lack of magnesium contributes to pregnancy nausea. I used one from Pink Stork (Amazon) that helped me. Similarly, epsom salt baths helped me if I was nauseous before bed.
Constant nibbling of things like a little Chex mix or Cheerios helps. Nibble even if you’re not hungry. An empty stomach is not your friend.

I’m not a doctor, these things just worked for me.

congrats and good luck!!!! I am one of those women who HATED being pregnant because of how awful I felt. My babies were worth it (but I’m definitely done!!!!)

I have luck with very strong ginger candies, like Chimes chews, or very strong mint candies, like Haribo chewy starmints. I have only seen the starmints on Amazon. Sometimes Altoids help. I also think mint or lavender essential oil or hand sanitizer work well. Good luck and congratulations. If the morning sickness gets to you, be sure to ask your doc what can be done. I ended up taking B6, which actually still helps me.

I had HG (I used to go from work to hospital to be put on a drip to cope with the excessive vomitting then back to work in the morning, it was horrible) The worst things for me were tomatoes, and pizza. All the wives tale solutions DO work for some people, but, they were pointless in the face of HG.

I would take some time to work out what HELPS ( is there a scent you are comfortable with? Does eating a very small bit before even getting up help, etc?) Bring the scent with you, make your helpful things possible, and DO ask for help if you need it, the staff at WDW have always had solutions I have never thought of to problems I have taken to them, so...

Congratulations and have a great holiday too!

Not the same (although I had Hyperemesis with my second pregnancy, so I know how terrible smells are), but several years ago I had food poisoning while staying at AKL (thank you, Ohana). I woke up with it on our last day, and they let us have late check out, but eventually I had to transfer to a couch in the lobby because we had a late flight. I never smelled the burning smell in the room, but the lobby smell was SO strong, and I had never noticed it the whole trip until I was nauseated. I just remember lying on a couch near the restroom and thinking how bad the lobby smelled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter