Mosquito activity? Anyone there now?

100acreHiker

Fallen down the Disney rabbit hole...
Heading down tomorrow (yay!). Looking at my packing list and wondering if I need to bring insect repellent. Curious if anyone there in the last week or now noticed any mosquito activity. I remember last year around this time there was big concern about Zika virus, etc, and I remember folks saying that after Irma there was increasted insects around (back in Sept/Oct.) Anyone getting bitten?

I’m here now and while I’ve seen a few mosquitos flying around at dusk, no bites. They also have the mosquito stations still open in all the parks.

Most of the skeeters we saw a couple of weeks ago were around the Contemporary and Polynesian. They were thick, especially near the boat docks. We got chewed up. And it's definitely not too cold for them.

Most of the skeeters we saw a couple of weeks ago were around the Contemporary and Polynesian. They were thick, especially near the boat docks. We got chewed up. And it's definitely not too cold for them.

This is my concern: it's going to be nearly 80 degrees this week, with lows in the 60s. I think mosquitos will not freeze or die off in those temps...

Last edited:
We took the boat from WL to the Contemporary one evening at about 6 PM last week. We encountered enough mosquitoes that we opted for the bus from MK back to WL. This was the only time we encountered any mosquitoes, though. They're there, but if you aren't around water in the evening, you might not have any problems.

Got bit up pretty bad at Animal Kingdom tonight at dusk. Should have used the repellent. Tonight was warmer with limited breeze. There has never been a mosquito that doesn't want to bite me. I am an attractor lol.

We were there last week. Mosquitos usually love me but the only time I got bit was at Fantasia Mini golf around 6:00 one evening. Just a few bites at the start of the course and I put some repellent on (which they had there) and I was fine the rest of the evening. Didn't get a bite anywhere else all week. We did see repellent stations in all the parks.

Yikes. It sounds like they're still struggling to get rid of them. I'm a mosquito magnet, I've made many WDW trips over the years (including trips in summer with lots of water activities & walking around at night), and out of all of them, I've only gotten one single mosquito bite. I hope Disney is able to get these pests back to their Disney-normal ultra-low levels soon.

Does anyone know if they still have the Deet/Insect repellent in the rooms? We found it useful when staying at AoA last year but I'm not sure if it's disappeared with the Zika warnings!

We were there last week and there were actually mosquito larvae in some water in the que for Under the Sea (near the waterfall, at the base of one of the pier/masts/poles idk what it was). I told a CM, but he did not seem too worried. We stayed at the VGF and Poly and were on the balconies in the evenings/mornings and used the boats back and forth from MK in the evenings and did not experience any mosquitoes. I am one of those people who is a major mosquito target, so I would have noticed any around me.

I usually never worry about mosquitoes. They don’t seem to like the burger grease that is normally coursing through my veins. I am worried about DW and the kids as they are usually preyed upon (they used DS as a pin cushion last week, it was 55 and windy). Seems to me like the swampy nature of Alligator Bend at POR is very conducive to breeding mosquitoes. Not worried about Zika because the crisis seems to have ebbed and none of us are planning on getting pregnant any time soon. Just worried that they might make for some miserable walks to/from our room.

I usually never worry about mosquitoes. They don’t seem to like the burger grease that is normally coursing through my veins. I am worried about DW and the kids as they are usually preyed upon (they used DS as a pin cushion last week, it was 55 and windy). Seems to me like the swampy nature of Alligator Bend at POR is very conducive to breeding mosquitoes. Not worried about Zika because the crisis seems to have ebbed and none of us are planning on getting pregnant any time soon. Just worried that they might make for some miserable walks to/from our room.
It’s been awhile since we stayed at POR, but DH and DD are huge mosquito magnets and they don’t remember ever getting bit at Disney, including at POR.

We don't go til the Fall, but I picked up 2 7-day mosquito wristbands at BB&B for $0.98 each. Figured we'd rather have them and not need them.

Does anyone know if they still have the Deet/Insect repellent in the rooms? We found it useful when staying at AoA last year but I'm not sure if it's disappeared with the Zika warnings!

At CSR last August they did have mosquito repellant in the rooms. There are also stations at the resort to 'self-serve' bug lotion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter