• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Most Economical Home Resort?

I like using this aggregator to spot value contracts using a similar cost per point per year function. Not sure if this site is allowed or not but I guess that it'll be filtered out if not.

***************************?resort=PVB&useYear=Jun

It's a great chart. I looked at it and others like it. I did tons of my own math. I researched for weeks, months.
And I still made an offer on a small BCV contract this week. 😂 It was dead last in every computation I did, not counting the non-WDW resorts. The heart wants what the heart wants I guess. Or I'm a grade-A sucker. Or both. 😂
Sometimes the real plus to doing the math is just showing you what you really want, LOL. DVC is a luxury purchase and in the end, if you're "stuck" somewhere wishing you were staying elsewhere, any "savings" are soon forgotten. If you can afford the purchase, it's just better to buy where you want to be. :)

Congratulations and welcome home.

Sometimes the real plus to doing the math is just showing you what you really want, LOL. DVC is a luxury purchase and in the end, if you're "stuck" somewhere wishing you were staying elsewhere, any "savings" are soon forgotten. If you can afford the purchase, it's just better to buy where you want to be. :)

Congratulations and welcome home.
:) the old adage "buy where you want to stay" is still the best advice!

Point charts are completely irrelevant when determining the most economical resort with the intent to "sleep around."

Because the points that you buy on whichever "most economical" contract you choose are worth the exact same and can be used the exact same as any other points at the 7-month mark. So they all have the exact same access to the low point charts (and high point charts).

The point charts only matter if the intention is to buy a contract at a specific resort, intend to book at that specific resort within the 11-month (before 7-month) window, and actually do it.
I disagree for two reasons. The first is that in "sleeping around" you might be severely limited in what low points studios are available depending on when you travel - so you may end up in high point resorts or in one bedrooms - both which require more points which means more costs The second reason is that you pay for due on the points you own, not the resort you stay at.

I personally like to look at cost per room night to figure the best value, understanding its going to change. The best deal there is to use low dues low cost points to stay at a low point cost resort - but you aren't going to be able to get low point cost studios every stay.

We have reached an inflection point - if you want a long term contract, you are going to be spending more points per night. Seven month availability for low point cost studios will continue to contract - and those resorts will expire midway through you contract - so eventually you'll need more points anyway. If you want to spend less points per night, you are going to end up with a shorter term to your contract. Which is the best deal for you depends a lot on how long you think you want to own.

But I also don't think that its a good idea with a luxury purchase to buy something when you wish you had something else. If every vacation you are using the "cheap" VAKL points you bought wherever you could get into a studio at seven months, but wishing you'd just bought BCV, and were convinced not to due to the short contract length or the price, you've made a mistake.

If every vacation you are using the "cheap" VAKL points you bought wherever you could get into a studio at seven months, but wishing you'd just bought BCV, and were convinced not to due to the short contract length or the price, you've made a mistake.
Meh, I get into a 1BR somewhere, which is what I wanted. I'm happy with that. Sure, if you want the cheapest studio, you're going to need home points.

Meh, I get into a 1BR somewhere, which is what I wanted. I'm happy with that. Sure, if you want the cheapest studio, you're going to need home points.

Yep, but you'll need more points to do that for the same number of nights. Then the math changes pretty considerably on what is a "good deal" (If you want one bedrooms to start with, you are my kind of people - I don't stay in studios. But people asking the "good deal" question usually are thinking studios - because DVC for one bedrooms are a "good value" - but not cost saving.

But people asking the "good deal" question usually are thinking studios - because DVC for one bedrooms are a "good value" - but not cost saving.
Yes, that's the question that people who want studios are asking, which isn't everyone in DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter