Most Expensive trip ever

Assuming something about the boys, if you'd mentioned you usually see teenage girls at Disney, that might have gotten them right back to Disney! :)

That was advice? Saying that if the kid was lucky he wouldn't have debt? Sounds like a statement (and a true one at that), not advice.

"you will not straddle him". Yeah that is advice or a judgement. :rotfl2:

The ticket prices at WDW are our biggest expense. They have really gotten out of hand in my opinion. In October, we are spending 2 days at Universal and only 1 day at Epcot for food and wine. I used our Disney rewards points for 2 one day MYW ticket for Epcot. A 2 day park ticket at Universal cost $125 per adult. Even adding the Scream and Stay ticket still costs us less than a 2 day MYW ticket( $182/pp). Now I realize the discount comes with multi day ticket purchase. Still we are at the point where we don't want to go into a park every day.

The ticket prices at WDW are our biggest expense. They have really gotten out of hand in my opinion. In October, we are spending 2 days at Universal and only 1 day at Epcot for food and wine. I used our Disney rewards points for 2 one day MYW ticket for Epcot. A 2 day park ticket at Universal cost $125 per adult. Even adding the Scream and Stay ticket still costs us less than a 2 day MYW ticket( $182/pp). Now I realize the discount comes with multi day ticket purchase. Still we are at the point where we don't want to go into a park every day.

I totally agree.

There really is a way to maximize vacation dollars. Our DL trip in November is around $1,000 in tickets for 2 adults/2 kids for 5 day hoppers. One day tickets are killers, and up until about 4/5 days does it become more reasonable (at least for us). We usually buy AP's and spread the trips over 10-12 months.

I agree with what Brian said earlier, we usually do one or the other, but not both.

Di
I just made the absolute most of it! So glad we have had DVC since she was 6 so we have had many wonderful vacations and I am kind of looking at all the new and exciting ways I can use DVC just with the two of us.

This is exaxtly how I hope I feel when my son turns 17-18 . Be so glad I got it when he was 2 .

Just got back from 6 days at BCV (our longest vacation ever) and boy was it an eye opener.

BCV was fine - no significant room issues (420) other than a broken drawer which was repaired, and had a great view of the EPCOT fireworks every night. However we had a person across the hall that kept dumping their towels and garbage out in the hallway every night. Very discusting.

We brought my brothers son for the 2nd time in 8 years and he and my son (both 17) were able to go off on their own every day. DW and I were a bit shocked at the early empty nest syndrome we experienced - they both go off to college next year.

But the costs were shocking - We had to buy a 5 day pass for my nephew - $350 which was expected but then went to Universal for a day - ($750 all in - bus, food, multipark passes for 4) in addition to all the food, water park tickets, etc we did. Then our annual passes ran out the last day and I needed to buy a one day park hopper for the three of us for about $400. Total cost was about $2500, excluding the airfare and obvious cost of maintenance for the points. Factor that in and its a $5000 week.

So while I was thinking about all the costs, we met a couple from the UK who told us it was their first and absolutlely last trip there. With three daughters, their 14 day trip cost them about $10,000 - $5000 for airfare (we need a train tunnel under the Pond), a few thousand for the house they rented and the park tickets . Suddenly I felt better.

So its all perspective. Already planning our next trip (sans nephew) for April break and not buying annual passes anymore since we want to do other things than just going to parks. Still has the magic though. Also had the best burger in my life at ESPN called a Cuban. Really great - get one if you go there.

Who pays a few thousand dollars for a rental house near Disney? Was it Cinderella's castle?

We are visiting Disneyworld at the end of September for 13 days....Just the flights will end up costing us $4000 (Family of 4)! Add in the park passes and we also want to go to Universal (will not be able to afford the trip across the pacific and then across the entire country again) Want to see Harry Potter so we have no choice, Disney+Universal adds another $3000 give or take hundred. We still need to eat and buy things here or there and the trip is close to $10000! That is with paying nothing for accomodations thanks to DVC! Expensive for sure...my justification? Can't put a price on memories!!!

Who pays a few thousand dollars for a rental house near Disney? Was it Cinderella's castle?

they stayed 14 days - so $500 per week - which is reasonable for an entire house offsite. houses generally have at 3, 4, or 5 bedrooms.

Disney is expensive - w/o the discount on annual passes - doubt could afford it these days.

when disney had good days before (late 90's) - they put the park tickets up twice a year - if those days are back - it does not look good for us on a limited budget.

And they texted me at about 12pm saying they were bored and what else could they do? I told them to go back on the rides again. Its difficult at this age because we rarely see teenage boys in Disney - mostly teenage girls.

In their defense, doing Universal in one day is tough! Especially in late July through August, it's hot, the lines are long and unless you're staying there, you're stuck there at the park. At Disney you can head back to your villa mid-day when you're hot and tired and head back out later.

We're Floridian's with season passes to both Universal and Disney. We do Universal early morning and head back to our DVC resort at 2pm! Swim, do lunch and head to DW after 5pm or not at all!

Disney's expensive but without my already paid for DVC I couldn't afford the small fortune I drop on each vacation!

P.S. I remember the 1970's DW trips, leave at 7am w/ sandwiches packed in the cooler for the return trip at 9pm! All worn out, heading home, dreaming of MK, its all there was!

$750 - 1000 a week, a 3br house with a pool and the cleaning fee included, that is the going rate in Orlando!

they stayed 14 days - so $500 per week - which is reasonable for an entire house offsite. houses generally have at 3, 4, or 5 bedrooms.

Disney is expensive - w/o the discount on annual passes - doubt could afford it these days.

when disney had good days before (late 90's) - they put the park tickets up twice a year - if those days are back - it does not look good for us on a limited budget.

I always thought a couple was 2 and a few was 3 or more. 3K sounds like a lot of money for a house near WDW for 2 weeks.
Makes me wonder about the other figures quoted.

I always thought a couple was 2 and a few was 3 or more. 3K sounds like a lot of money for a house near WDW for 2 weeks.
Makes me wonder about the other figures quoted.

If you go online you will see rental homes specifically for Disney patrons. I looked at one location - Lake Buena Vista and the rates for a number of houses were $2200 per week for a 4 bedroom home. Not really out of line for a vacation destination.

It is expensive in general... However, I just returned from a quick 48 hour trip, staying at SSR... Have an Annual Pass and TIW card from earlier this year. Used DME back and forth to MCO. No souvenirs as we go often. Cost for Airfare was $98 RT from ATL. Cost at WDW was $175. So my trip overall cost less than $300, for 3 park days, 2 nights for 2 people.

I agree. Imagine the added cost if we paid for our rooms for our visits? We get to stay in beautiful accommodations and to me the monthly cost is worth the 2 weeks we go every summer. We do drive from RI so we don't pay airfare or car rental and that makes a difference.

I agree. Imagine the added cost if we paid for our rooms for our visits? We get to stay in beautiful accommodations and to me the monthly cost is worth the 2 weeks we go every summer. We do drive from RI so we don't pay airfare or car rental and that makes a difference.

I would love to drive down and save about $1200 in airfare but DW works in a hospital and is not allowed to take off more than a week at a time. Then again I guess I could drive DS and myself down for a longer period and simply let her fly on her own down and back and take DME to the resort after which DS and I would just go back into the parks for a few more days and call her every night and tell her how much fun we are having. :rolleyes1

We purchase non-expiring 10 day passes.
You can purchase hopper or not When they run out - buy again !
The cost per day is great. We go to WDW each year - have a pool day,
DTD day or visit other resorts for dinner (no admission required).
The passes last 2 plus years !

We have two out of private college and a daughter's wedding a month ago !

Disney is certainly expensive! The price of tickets has skyrocketed over the past 10 years!

I was there during the first year it opened.

I believe the ticket price was under $20, now $89, excluding tax. What is stunning is that the prices kept going up all through the recession.

Tickets are expensive, no doubt about it. We love our DVC annual pass prices though, and budget so we can use them for at least two trips or more.

Our passes ran out last October, so in May DH and I used SWA credits we had and went down to our first stay in AKV savanna studio with no kids for a week (our only child at home is our DD 17, boys are 20 and 22 not at home). We are trying to adjust to empty nest as well. We had no passes, but we got a rental car, bought a few groceries for breakfasts and lunches for the week, and stayed on a budget for dinner every night. It was such a relaxing and enjoyable trip - I was a little bummed I couldn't just pop into a park for a quick fix, but AK is my favourite park, so being able to watch the animals from my balcony every day made it less painful. We were at the pool every morning at 8:30 reading, swimming and soaking up the sun, had lunch in our studio, then would read on the balcony, go explore other resorts, wander DTD, whatever. We saw a couple of movies, had another fun visit to Jellyrolls one night, and basically had a relaxing week for about $800.00.

So don't get worried about not having your kids in future trips - we have been taking ours since my daughter was 4 and joined DVC when she was 6, so we too have had many enjoyabe DVC trips with the whole family. I look forward to some less expensive and less busy trips with DH (we can stay longer with our points when the kids aren't with us and do non-park trips), and someday I'll be able to enjoy watching my grandchildren's first visits to WDW!

We do have an expensive trip coming up soon though, we are going for a week starting New Year's Day with DD and her BFF and joining my DSIS and her DH and four kids, so we are getting a one bdrm at OKW for us, and will be getting our APs (have our 25th anniversary trip next October to use them again for). Plus our dues have to be paid as soon as we get home, so trying to save my pennies and having a very low budget Christmas this year!

A Disney vacation is very expensive even if you are a DVC owner. I continually post that fact because many are just so excited to become a DVC owner, they really don't factor in the total cost of a yearly DVC vacation.

We know two families who feel into that trap and they had to sell their memberships after just a couple of years.

Disney just posted a all time record profit and has announced that they will be cutting back on sales and discounts.

:earsboy: Bill

Yes I agree. There are just 2 of and we can spend a few thousand a trip depending if we need passes if we are dining/tours if we do the spa anything extra. Bare bones it is still $2-3000 with flight, food, park passes etc.

We love our membership, don't get me wrong but it isn't cheap. It's a pay in advance system for your hotel room with a decent discount if you use it right;)

ssxa said:
We are visiting Disneyworld at the end of September for 13 days....Just the flights will end up costing us $4000 (Family of 4)! Add in the park passes and we also want to go to Universal (will not be able to afford the trip across the pacific and then across the entire country again) Want to see Harry Potter so we have no choice, Disney+Universal adds another $3000 give or take hundred. We still need to eat and buy things here or there and the trip is close to $10000! That is with paying nothing for accomodations thanks to DVC! Expensive for sure...my justification? Can't put a price on memories!!!

"$1000 per person to fly?????????????? Where do you live?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter