Most mentally demanding job you have had?

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
As we have had physical jobs

I will start

Working McDonald's , serving 100 meals every 30 minutes at time , stress.

Customer service for a trucking company. I had to keep track of what customers needed what products and when, and the rearranging of orders, doing reports, dealing with customers, dispatchers, managers, receivers, it was non-stop for 9 hours a day. I loved it, but the drama that went on in my department made me quickly hate where I worked. And one day I almost caused a contamination (luckily it was caught by a driver and cost the company nothing), and was suspended for a week without pay. A few weeks later a terminal assistant manager I worked with didn't pick up a dozen shipping containers before the deadline and cost the company tens of thousands of dollars, was promoted a month later to terminal manager. That really killed my drive.

I think x-ray was more challenging that teaching (what I do now). Especially when patients had reactions or other medical emergencies that required quick thinking. Now my biggest emergency is the kids that don't get fractions.

I was a professional boxing judge for 37 years. I judged several world title bouts in the USA and overseas. In some of these fights millions of $$$ were at stake. One hundred % concentration is required to score a boxing match properly. This is very exhausting even though a title fight is only up to 12 rounds long with each round 3 minutes.

After an evening of officiating, I would be tense and couldn't sleep, but then all at once I would crash and be exhausted. Judging a bout with thousands in attendance and maybe millions watching on TV and a boxers future on the line is very challenging.

Teaching.

The hard part is the multi-tasking: Delivering your intro lecture without missing a beat, being entertaining as well as informative ... and at the same time setting up the video you're going to show after your lecture, giving the evil eye to the kid who's texting under his desk, redirecting the three kids who are staring out the window at the ROTC kids marching on the lawn, finding a pencil for the kid who says he can't take notes because he doesn't have a writing utensil, and answering the phone /writing a hall pass because Guidance wants to see a certain kid now.

I'm a speech-language pathologist in a school district that is heavy on trauma and generational poverty. The job would be mentally demanding no matter the district; caseloads are high everywhere; it's a major juggling act with the paperwork, regular service providing, and doing evaluations, but because of the trauma load on my caseload, you add in the stories, the DCYF calls, and the behaviors that go along with what the kiddo's have experienced. I love what I do, but I vacation heavily during school breaks!

I am a social worker. I having a mentally demanding career so hard to decide which job was the worst. My current job is the least stressful.

Oddly, I found working for the Disney Florist much more stressful than being a software designer. Most people placing orders were friendly and willing to listen to options, but some were very difficult. I was screamed at more working one year for the florist than I was in 30 years working in IT.

Social work for the Department of Child Services (affectionately known as CPS). If I made a poor decision, somebody could have literally died. It was also the frustration of KNOWING something was going on, but child would not give up the person doing it. Additionally the caseloads were so heavy that you felt like you did not have time to give each one the attention it really needed. There was also the element of physical danger always in your mind. There were also terrible things you see and year that you just cannot forget. It took me less than a year to figure out that line of work was definitely not for me.

I think college was the most mentally challenging part of my life-not really a job. As a liberal arts major, there were so many classes that I had to take but weren't engaging. Teaching wasn't that bad for me intellectually, but emotionally, it was demanding. I see multi-tasking as more emotional than mental. But I make lists when I'm up against it.

That’s easy. The one I have right now. I quit working full time in 2011 to babysit our first granddaughter and within 4 years we had 2 more. The oldest just turned 8 and at least she’s in school until 2:30 everyday. Also have a 5 1/2 year old in Pre-K who goes to school 4 days week for a couple hours in the afternoon and a 4 year old in Preschool who goes 3 days a week a couple hours in the morning. I’m 56 and have been watching them for 8 years now about 10 hours a day 4-5 days a week. I love them dearly but by the time I get home I’m lucky I know my name. o_O

My dad always said it was better to work with your brain than your back. Unfortunately, after 39 years of brain only work, I have to monitor my blood pressure. I suspect if I had a physically demanding job, I would not have high blood pressure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter